Scamp vs T@B - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2015, 10:49 AM   #1

Name: Jeff
Trailer: in the market
New York
Scamp vs T@B

I know, I know, this the Fiberglass RV forum...I've been doing my research and I'm trying to decide between a Scamp 13 and a T@B Basic U...there's advantages to both, and I like both, and I think I will be happy with either one....I would think that many of the forum members would have checked out other trailers before they decided on FG...I would have similar features on either, basically sink, kitchen, no bathroom, fan, and porta potty....I like the design of both...advantages of the Scamp are that is been built for 41 years, and there are parts and lots of info available, and it appears to be pretty much weather proof...it is also less expensive than the T@B....disadvantages would be I'd have to pick it up in Minn (about 2000m round trip), and no local dealer...with the T@B, I think there is a little extra floor space, more storage room, and I could leave the table up and still have a comfy sleeping area in the back....T@B will also be a few $K more to buy...a big advantage of the T@B is that we have a local dealer....so I want to decide soon, before any prices go up...I love the design of the T@B, and I like the funkiness of the Scamp...actually the Scamp is what started me looking for a trailer...I'm looking for a late April or early May 2016 delivery...I hope I haven't stepped on any toes, or offended anyone in the Fiberglass RV world, just thought there would be plenty opinions....thanks for your thought and ideas...and BTW, I'm going to look at a used Scamp 13 this afternoon...
RV Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 11:41 AM   #2

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Registry
I'd compare resale value....that would have my decision made for me!

Also, my experience with my first small camper, a stick built, pushed me to scrape up the money for a fiberglass one...leaks and rot after so many years as opposed to my nice, basically rot free 36 year old scamp.

A friend took a t@b to Alaska with her family of five; she had wanted a scamp, , but couldn't find one at a price she needed used. Bought a 2009 tab for $5000 instead
Zennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 11:43 AM   #3

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Registry
To me the advantage of a tab would be the clamshell back kitchen layout and outdoor kitchen...
Zennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 11:44 AM   #4

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
There have been a few forum members over the years that have had a T@b. Here is a past post discussing the two types
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ype-68570.html
The Scamp is not visually as glamorous as the T@b but in general they last a lot longer due to comstruction and hold their value long term. New T@b's as you say are much more expensive.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 12:46 PM   #5

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Before I bought the Scamp, we looked at a few stick built trailers, and a mid 80’s Scamp Fiver. The fiver suited our desires better. I also had in the back of my mind, the experience of replacing rotten wood in our six year old pop-up. I didn't want to experience that again. Resale value, while an issue is not terribly important to me because I have no interest in selling!
Old 10-31-2015, 12:50 PM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I'd go over to the T@B sites and ask questions about the life expectancy of the outside plastic trim. There have been several comments here about it not doing well in the sun.

The one floor plan with the outside (clamshell) kitchen is interesting, if you want to cook and eat outside most of the time. It just depends on your camping style. Kinda hard to make the first cup of coffee in the AM when it's cold and/or raining outside though.

For a first rig we usually suggest looking for a used one to try and see what you do and don't link. In most cases you can resell a years or two later for what you have invested. Don't try that with any of the used sticky's, much less with a new one.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 02:04 PM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: T@B
North Carolina
I have a T@B right now and love it. I suggest getting one used, they are a MUCH better value than new. Be careful if you are looking at the clamshell version in that the bed is smaller than the other versions. We rarely cook inside ours so if the bed size is ok, then the clamshell is great! The interior finish is very good in our (a 2012 made by Little Guy). We will be selling ours soon only because we are buying a Escape 21 so we can spend a lot more time camping as I retire in a couple of years.
Porsche Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 02:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche Pilot View Post
I have a T@B right now and love it. I suggest getting one used, they are a MUCH better value than new. Be careful if you are looking at the clamshell version in that the bed is smaller than the other versions. We rarely cook inside ours so if the bed size is ok, then the clamshell is great! The interior finish is very good in our (a 2012 made by Little Guy). We will be selling ours soon only because we are buying a Escape 21 so we can spend a lot more time camping as I retire in a couple of years.
I like your euphemism: "... getting one used, they are a MUCH better value than new" which sorts speaks to the issue of not holding value as well as an FGRV.

A 2-3 year old FGRV, on the used market, often sells for as much as new one simply because of supply and demand. You can't go to a dealer and buy a new one, and instant gratification carries it's own value and price.

Thanks for helping make our case.... LOL

Old 10-31-2015, 05:23 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I sold a 2008 13' Scamp with full bath last Jan. and bought a 2015 T@B Max CS-S. The reason was because of the kitchen. The T@B kitchen, being outside, I can set up tables, have everything within an arms length, and provides more room to cook and store cooking items like pots, pans, utensils, spices etc. Could not do that with the Scamp. The bathroom in the Scamp had much more room. The gas mileage with the Scamp was better too. Not to mention, the first 3x out with T@B, I had problems each time needing to take back to repair shop on return from each trip. Knowing what I know now...I would have kept the Scamp, removed the stove and fridge, and replaced them with a small chest of drawers. BTW, I sold the Scamp for $1000 less than what I bought it for.
Alice L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 10:51 AM   #10

Name: Arnold
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
California
You mentioned that it would be a 2000 mile round trip to pick up a Scamp. We picked up our Casita and it should have a 2700 mile round trip. Our 2700 mile trip turned into a 9450 mile 44 day and 22 state road trip. If you are lucky you won't be limited to only those 2000 miles.
Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 10:55 AM   #11

New York
Scamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold View Post
You mentioned that it would be a 2000 mile round trip to pick up a Scamp. We picked up our Casita and it should have a 2700 mile round trip. Our 2700 mile trip turned into a 9450 mile 44 day and 22 state road trip. If you are lucky you won't be limited to only those 2000 miles.

actually, if I do pick it up, I'm thinking about continuing on to Tacoma Washington to see some friends....I've never been to the northernmost states or the North West....
Old 11-01-2015, 11:26 AM   #12

Name: Arnold
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
California
There you go, now you're taking. Remember the saying about lemon and lemonade
Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 12:27 PM   #13

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
We are planning to do just that trip, stopping at the factory as a jumping-off point for a trip to Montana and the PNW. What better excuse if you are already halfway from coast to coast?
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 12:36 PM   #14

New York
Scamp

and you are quite a bit farther east than I am...did you order already?
Old 11-01-2015, 01:26 PM   #15

Hmmmm.... Going to the coastal areas of the PNW in November? Be sure to pack waders. If not, disposables are available from coin machines coin in most service stations. Ditto for a life jacket to wear if you are going to go cycling. LOL

Old 11-01-2015, 03:34 PM   #16

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
Yes. It'll come off the factory line in late-April, just in time for snow melt and the opening of campgrounds in May. There is a 3-4 month backlog of orders, I think. Plenty of time for next camping season.

p.s. I have to drive to South Carolina first and then go to Minnesota the following week. I'll be road-weary by the time Portland comes into view.
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 06:21 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool Your "advantages"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zennifer View Post
To me the advantage of a tab would be the clamshell back kitchen layout and outdoor kitchen...
I used to live and tent camp in Wisconsin.

The only "advantage" to cooking and eating outside is flies, mosquitoes, wind, dirt and various other bugs. I chose not to like these "advantages" in my food and on me.

I'll take cooking inside my Trillium anytime.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:58 PM   #18

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I read someplace that the quality of the Little Guy T@Bs is quite a bit better than the quality of the T@Bs built by the previous ownership. But if you found a preowned one built by Little Guy and the price was low enough, it could be a good buy. That way someone else took much of the depreciation hit.

On the other hand, if you can't find a bargain like that or if you prefer a new unit, Scamp is the better buy. Don't worry about service after the sale, because the FG shell is pretty much problem-free and the rest is basically standard RV components that any RV place can work on.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp