Scamp Water tank - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2015, 05:37 PM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
Scamp Water tank

I'm trying to decide whether or not to install a 10 gal water tank in my 1978 13' Scamp. The old tank had been removed sometime in the past.

I would prefer to have a small water (2 to 4 gal) container, under the sink in the old furnace location, as is the norm in some Europe FG trailers.

Small water containers can be filled almost anywhere, and spare containers can be carried in the tow auto. Even a one gal water jug would work!

I actually thought about installing both...until I priced the pre 1990 10 gal tank at Scamp's. $95.00 seems a bit high, when the post 1990 12 gal tank is only about $50.00. Must be a good reason...but still.

By the time a person adds the cost of the needed fittings, holding strap, and pays shipping, the cost of a Scamp 10 gal tank would be far more than $125.00! Heck, i can install a A/C for that amount!

(Almost any water tank in the 10 to 14 gal range would work as long as the water fill opening is no higher than 9-inches. Which is the height of the water fill fitting on my old Scamp)

I know what I'd prefer, but at my age I need to consider what the next owner would like!

So what do you think bel best? Ten gal tank , or smaller containers in the cabinet, under the sink?

Any & all comments will be appreciated,

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 05:52 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Having lived with a 12 gallon fresh water tank, I would prefer 10 to 12 gallons.
Reasoning -- My trailer is not only a travel trailer but an escape pod. That is if something happens or I should say when something happens to the infrastructure I'll have water and place to cook eat and sleep. I can generally make 12 gallons last at least a week, longer if need be. Small containers would be a pain to keep up in my opinion.
Old 10-24-2015, 05:58 PM   #3

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I purchased this for $37.00 or so.

RV Plumbing 10 Gallon Fresh Water Tank New Travel Trailer Horse Trailer | eBay

I installed it under the left rear bed.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 06:13 PM   #4

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Having lived with a 12 gallon fresh water tank, I would prefer 10 to 12 gallons.
Reasoning -- My trailer is not only a travel trailer but an escape pod. That is if something happens or I should say when something happens to the infrastructure I'll have water and place to cook eat and sleep. I can generally make 12 gallons last at least a week, longer if need be. Small containers would be a pain to keep up in my opinion.
Thank you Byron, I appreciate your comments.

Bill
Old 10-24-2015, 06:19 PM   #5

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
I purchased this for $37.00 or so.

RV Plumbing 10 Gallon Fresh Water Tank New Travel Trailer Horse Trailer | eBay

I installed it under the left rear bed.
From viewing the photo of the 10 gal tank, it appears all the openings for the fill, outlet and drain fittings are one one end. If this is so, did that cause any installation problems?

Thanks for the reply!

Bill
Old 10-24-2015, 06:28 PM   #6

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
When I obtained my Scamp-the tank had been removed. I bought a 5 gallon 'jerry can' made for water and installed it under the sink. It is easy to lift out to fill and I can carry several identical cans in the tow vehicle. The pump was also gone so I added a windshield washer pump(it only works on one fixture-the sink).
Old 10-24-2015, 06:41 PM   #7

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Clinton View Post
When I obtained my Scamp-the tank had been removed. I bought a 5 gallon 'jerry can' made for water and installed it under the sink. It is easy to lift out to fill and I can carry several identical cans in the tow vehicle. The pump was also gone so I added a windshield washer pump(it only works on one fixture-the sink).
Thanks Dennis,

That's what I had in mind! I hadn't measured the space because the lower kitchen cabinet for my Scamp is still removed, but I happen to have a blue "jerry" water can that I could use.

Nice to learn that it would fit!

Use of a auto windshield washer pump is a nice touch!

Bill
Old 10-24-2015, 07:23 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nolen View Post
I know what I'd prefer, but at my age I need to consider what the next owner would like!
Screw the next owner, do what works for you!

If you think you could work well with a small water tank, try it at HOME. Cooking, hygiene, etc. THAT should tell you what size would work best in your trailer. Just remember, whatever goes in also needs to come out. Plan for gray water too.

Best of luck in your decision!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:32 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Bill, this is a link to my solution and it may work well for you also External Water Reservoir
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 08:16 PM   #10

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
Bill: sent you a private message, but decided to put it on here too in case anyone else was interested. Since I was using a windshield washer pump, I ran a 1/4" tube thru the top of the jerry can. I also took the guts out of the old hand pump and ran tubing thru it too. I put a push button switch at the edge of the sink. Ended up getting a lot more water than with the handpump. For the gray water, I put a 5 gallon bucket under the outside drain with a short hose. It has worked very well. I might add, my jerry can is not quite as tall as the normal can, found it at a camping supply store, but the regular cans fit well too. I have a 5 gallon white square tank(you can find anywhere that I use as backup and it fits under also. I drilled a hole in the cap and ran the tubing to the bottom of the can.
Old 10-24-2015, 08:33 PM   #11

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
Bill, this is a link to my solution and it may work well for you also External Water Reservoir
Ian, I already have several photos of you water-reservoir...and even went to Lowe's to price the water containers!

I decided that a water container inside would be best of me. Yeah, it's true that I'm very lazy!

Thanks Ian,

Bill
Old 10-24-2015, 08:45 PM   #12

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Screw the next owner, do what works for you!

If you think you could work well with a small water tank, try it at HOME. Cooking, hygiene, etc. THAT should tell you what size would work best in your trailer. Just remember, whatever goes in also needs to come out. Plan for gray water too.

Best of luck in your decision!
Ha! Thanks Donna! I always enjoy reading your messages because you don't beat around the bush That is like a fresh breath of air!

Yes, Donna, you are right...I should only be thinking about what I desire, want and need in MY TRAILER. And if I was younger, that's what I'd be doing.

However, now, it's not so simple. i do have to consider the people who will be cleaning up my messes after I leave for that Golden Campground on Cloud 9! There is a pull-thru site there with my name on it!

Bill
Old 10-24-2015, 11:42 PM   #13

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nolen View Post
However, now, it's not so simple. i do have to consider the people who will be cleaning up my messes after I leave for that Golden Campground on Cloud 9! There is a pull-thru site there with my name on it!
Bill
Really Bill? It IS simple, do what makes your life better for you. After you hit Cloud 9 and the kids come in to clean up the leftover "mess" if they are anything like mine, I hope they'll say "Dang, Dad sure had a good time, look at all this great stuff". Bottom line is make yourself happy, anybody else may not get it and it really doesn't matter in the big picture .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 05:57 AM   #14

Oklahoma
Registry
My Goodness! I've really got us off-thread haven't I?

Thanks Dave for your concern and good advice.

Here is my current favored quote:

“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”
Dr. Seuss

Bill
Old 10-25-2015, 08:17 AM   #15

Florida
The 10 gallon tank I bought for less than $40.00 has all of the outlets on the one end and it works for may installation.
Of course my installation is nothing like the original. I have it mounted in the rear compartment on the left side with the fill moved from the right to the left.
I moved it since I have all of the utilities on the left, water tank, pump, fill hose reel, battery, and charger/converter.

The difference is that the vent that comes out at the top behind the water reel. The new one has the vent on the other side and works better for me since I have since installed a separator between the tank and reel so that when the access door is open this seals off the reel and battery box to confine any critters to this area.

Perhaps this helps someone.
Old 10-25-2015, 11:38 AM   #16

Name: jon
Trailer: Scamp 13
Washington
scamp water tank

hi, just some more info for you. i bought a 2004 scamp 13. the owner had removed the water tank 12 gal, and replaced it with a big battery/charger system. he gave me the tank though. i designed a split water tank approach with 4 gallons by the fill inlet at the passenger side rear and the rest in a 10 gallon tank under the driver side seat. when i offered the 12 gallon for sale,one person told me that he checked the dimensions on mine and it was too high for the 70s scamp. part of my motivation was that i wanted to use the original fill opening. of course someone could always remove the hardware and fill it then drill out a new on somewhere else. mine works ok except that it take a longer time to fill because the tanks on both sides of the trailer have to equalize as the tanks fill. anyway, just more info for you info.
jon of sequim.
jondsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 02:52 PM   #17

Oklahoma
Registry
J. D. that is a amazing set up! I know that I don't get around much...but, I've never seen a water hose reel installed in a travel trailer! Your total installation is very neat!

Thank you very much for the photos!

Jon, the water feed tube on any tank I would install can not be higher than 9-inches, as that is the height of my water inlet hose.

Years ago I installed a 30 gal water tank on one side of my motor home to match the 30 gal water tank on the other side. The only connection between the two tanks was the 3/8 inch water tube that ran under the floor. The new tank didn't have it's own fill tube.

It took a very long time for fresh water to fill the newly installed 30 gal tank!

Bill
Old 10-25-2015, 04:17 PM   #18

Florida
The reel has a little over 20' of hose on it. I figures I needed a place to store the hose anyway so I got a deal on two black water Macerator reels and changed one to the fresh water system. Each has an electric drive to retract the hose.The original water tank was marked 9 gallons and the new one 10 gallons.
I am working to make this a quick setup/breakdown camper thus the reels and macerator. The 3" quick dumps are still there as backup or to use the constant drain for the gray water if staying a while.
Here is the front black/gray drain hose.

Old 10-26-2015, 05:18 AM   #19

Name: Bob
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
Water Tank

Bill,

I have recently bought a used 13 foot Scamp. The water tank had been removed. I have a 4 gallon cube shaped tank that I had bought at Cabela's. It fits nicely under the bench and possibly would fit under your counter.

I really dislike the urinal level fill spout on the stock Scamp 13's and have sealed mine off.

The 4 gallon water cube is easy to fill and the plan is to store it in the tow vehicle during sub-freezing trips. I do cold weather camping and do not want to deal with a frozen water tank. Yes, I still use the hand pump that is self draining. I will be carrying a small container if hi concentration salt water to use as ant-freeze to purge the water line.

BobH.
BobH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:59 AM   #20

Oklahoma
Registry
Thanks Bob for the reply!

However, I'm now trying to rid my mind of the comment you made about the fresh water "urinal height fill spout"! That's not something I wish to think about!

But, I guess that when a person camps in the woods,,,where male bears roam... you gotta think about such things!

I'd never heard about using salt water to winterize water lines. Learn something new everyday on this forum.

Bill

Tags
scamp