Scamp wheel well repair / fiberglass - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2022, 08:29 AM   #1

Name: J.D.
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 Layout 6
West Virginia
Scamp wheel well repair / fiberglass

2014 Scamp 16' - Layout 6 --- Door side tire blow out (explosion really!). Pulled over quickly; but, damage was done. Steel in tire shredded the wheel well under kitchen sink causing a 10" wide X 20" long hole in the wheel well fiberglass and 8" of wood towards the rear.

BTW, half of what was under the sink is now scattered along the interstate Dish soap, bottles, the usual stuff stored under the sink, etc.

Temp repair was to flex-seal alum. roof flashing inside under sink. No boat repair within 100 miles. Auto shops here don't want to get involved.

Need repair hints & tips. Thanks!
J.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 09:16 AM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
A lot of work but you might buy a new wheel well from Scamp.
Otherwise you could lay up fiberglass cloth and resin.
perfection would be secondary since the work would be out of sight.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 10:16 AM   #3

Name: Frank
Trailer: Scamp
MI
We need to see pictures!
Frank R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 07:09 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Another possibility is taking it to the Scamp factory for repair. Since you got it home, I’m assuming it’s been made towable.

To preserve its value for the future, I’d want a repair to original condition, including a new fiberglass wheel well. Wouldn’t hurt to send them some detailed photos and get an estimate. Then weigh that against the value of your time to do it yourself, factoring in a realistic assessment of your ability to do a neat job of it.

Is there insurance?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 08:50 AM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Yes I agree with Frank, I would need pics to make any kind of comment.
As Floyd said if its out of view,,?
Old 06-29-2022, 07:19 AM   #6

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
If you buy a wheel well from Scamp you can trim it to fit and fiberglass it back in and save some fabrication time.
I my case when i rebuilt my Scamp I installed steel wheel wells into the modified frame.
I bought wheel wells (well trailer fenders, really, hammered into shape and trimmed to fit.
As I added steel frame extensions from the frame to the shell I added 1 1/2" square tubing and welded the new wheel wells into them and then fiberglassed to the shell. The picture will give you an idea of the relationship between the frame and the shell. This steel well is a bit bigger than the fiberglass one from the factory. I upgraded the size of the tires and needed more clearance for my build.

redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 07:22 AM   #7

Name: J.D.
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 Layout 6
West Virginia
Thanks everyone! Didn't know Scamp sold wheel wells; but, that is a LOT of work! RE: Photos.. My camera needs batteries. Will attempt in the next few days. No insurance coverage. Towing to factory in MN from here in WV is not feasible in the near future.
Years ago I did fiberglass on a car; did not go well. A buddy who has done similar repair on his truck (inner wheel well) thinks he can do this repair "when" he has time...<sigh>...
Thanks again everyone!
J.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 10:27 AM   #8

Name: Tony
Trailer: Boler
BC
A blown tire can even take the steel fender and floor out of a Greyhound coach so watch your tires, they seldom fail if they look good and are inflated properly.
Old 07-02-2022, 12:39 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Floor Repair

Several years ago we had catastrophic failures on both tires on the same trip. On both sides the floor was stove in behind the tire. Damage was limited to floor under rear benches. Got new tires & motored home. Cut out the damaged flooring & epoxyed and glassed in 3/4 ply panels from below. Lesson learned was to replace tires occasionaly (These were original tires!). D.
Dennis McMillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 02:19 PM   #10

BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis McMillan View Post
Several years ago we had catastrophic failures on both tires on the same trip. On both sides the floor was stove in behind the tire. Damage was limited to floor under rear benches. Got new tires & motored home. Cut out the damaged flooring & epoxyed and glassed in 3/4 ply panels from below. Lesson learned was to replace tires occasionaly (These were original tires!). D.
Never used trailer service tires on our Boler or other rv's always use passenger service on a light trailer truck service on heavier ones.
Old 07-07-2022, 11:27 AM   #11

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I hope you get to repair this to your satisfaction. Just one more idea: after it is done, invest into a tire pressure monitoring system. Most blowouts are caused by running the tires low and overheating the sidewalls by flexing too much.
Paul O. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 12:50 PM   #12

BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
I hope you get to repair this to your satisfaction. Just one more idea: after it is done, invest into a tire pressure monitoring system. Most blowouts are caused by running the tires low and overheating the sidewalls by flexing too much.
Did most of my RV'ing before the days of pressure monitors, developed the habit when driving my coach & car hauler enclosed trailer, whenever I came off the highway, would climb out of the drivers chair get out and walk around the rig. Touched each tire and wheel hub for hot spots, shows overheated tires, worn or under lubed wheel bearings and or dragging brakes. Then climb back into the coach and shut down the cooled down engine.

Tags
scamp