Scamp windows not working - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2022, 10:29 AM   #1

Name: Benjamin
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
NJ
Scamp windows not working

Hey all,

The turn wheel mechanism on two of the windows on my Scamp have stopped working. Seems like something simple just came disconnected so the windows can't be opened anymore.

Here are some pictures:
https://imgur.com/8TUhNcG
https://imgur.com/Pc9Mt6F

I tried unscrewing every single screw I could find anywhere near the window lol, and no luck at being able to access anything close to the actual turn mechanism.

Does anyone know how to fix this?
James in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 10:36 AM   #2

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
Take the screw out of the center of the black knob and pull the knob off, more than likely the threads are striped and the knob needs to be replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James in NJ View Post
Hey all,

The turn wheel mechanism on two of the windows on my Scamp have stopped working. Seems like something simple just came disconnected so the windows can't be opened anymore.

Here are some pictures:
https://imgur.com/8TUhNcG
https://imgur.com/Pc9Mt6F

I tried unscrewing every single screw I could find anywhere near the window lol, and no luck at being able to access anything close to the actual turn mechanism.

Does anyone know how to fix this?
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 10:41 AM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe 2007 and 40' Allegro Bus
Send a message via AIM to RSchleder Send a message via Yahoo to RSchleder
It would seem to me that the internal gear has been stripped or come loose. The only way to find out what actually happened is to disassemble the mechanisium and inspect it for warn or broken parts, order replacement parts (if available) and rebuild your window assemblies. While your at it, I would check all your mechanisiums and replace /repair all of them even if they work as it's just a matter of time before they fail too.
Old 02-17-2022, 12:20 PM   #4

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Remove the handle. Take a pair of slip-joint pliers and wrap electrical tape or some other thick tape around the jaws. Use the pliers on the splines to try turning the mechanism. If nothing happens, the mechanism is broken and has to be replaced. If the window starts to open, then then knob is stripped and you need a new one.

You don't mention the year of your trailer. If it is older than 20 years and the mechanism is broken, you might want to remove the window, replace the mechanism, replace any deteriorating rubber seals and re-install the window with new Butyl tape.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 04:45 PM   #5

Name: Benjamin
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
NJ
Thank you for the replies that did the trick. The black plastic knob was stripped, just had to order a replacement from Scamp and it's back working.
James in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 05:18 PM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by James in NJ View Post
Thank you for the replies that did the trick. The black plastic knob was stripped, just had to order a replacement from Scamp and it's back working.

Moving forward, you might want to update your profile with the year and model of your Scamp. Some parts (like windows) have changed a number of times over the years. You can access your profile to make changes by clicking "User CP" on the left-hand side of the blue task bar under your log-in information.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp, windows