scamp wiring issue - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2009, 03:16 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
does anyone have a wiring schematic for an 83 scamp? when i hit the brake pedal the lights go haywire, on the trailer and my dash lights. and i want to make sure there was no monkeying around with the stock wiring.
jmacchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:34 PM   #2

Trailer: 77 Scamp
Look to your left.....there is a documents center under the yellow resources title....go to electrical....then there is a sub forum with the scamp electrical wiring diagram...

Quote:
does anyone have a wiring schematic for an 83 scamp? when i hit the brake pedal the lights go haywire, on the trailer and my dash lights. and i want to make sure there was no monkeying around with the stock wiring.
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:01 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Direct link to the information Brandy provided, look at the bottom of the listing... I think this is the info you're looking for: Wiring Schematics, etc.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:17 PM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft 1992 / Chevrolet S10 4.3L.
Jmacchi hi

First remove bulb in the rear socket , may be a short circuit in the bulb between the brake light an the parking brake light

This shortcircuit in the bulb or not appropriate bulb may cause this problem

Yvon Chayer
Yvon Chayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:21 PM   #5

i appreciate it, thats what i was looking for. my trailer has two bulbs in each housing, one 2 filament large bulb and one smaller single filament, i take it that the 2 filament does turn , running and brake duty, what about the smaller bulb? im running a flat 4 pin on a 2001 dodge.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:28 PM   #6

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I'll bet that you have a poor (or no) ground to the tow vehicle.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:37 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I'd bet the second bulb isn't even wired, it just came with the stock fixture (Backup lights). The first bulb is the key, with one filament being for the running lights and the other for the brakes and signal lights, which was standard automotive wiring until recently.

Do you have yellow signal lights on your tow vehicle? If so, there needs to be a diode block or relay set in the TV's wiring to prevent voltage to the egg's dual-purpose filament from coming back to the wrong fixture on the TV (dash lights lighting might be a symptom of this). Diode blocks available at Wally and auto parts places.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:10 PM   #8

thanks for the replies, im guessing bad ground myself. there are no amber lights on my tug. those reverse lights are wired. theres a flat 4 pin on now, maybe there was a 5/6 pin connector at one point.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:52 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Usually, a Flat-4 is used for only running/brake lights, a five for adding battery charge OR brakes, a six for battery charge AND brakes and a seven for backup lights.

I prefer the Bargman/Pollock-7 because it is a very common connector, after Flat-4.

Be sure to let us know what the problem is when you find it -- Affecting dash lights is a new one for me!
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp