Scamps fridge problem - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2018, 10:35 PM   #21

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I think computerspook is referencing laws that apply to the commercial transportation of bulk propane. They do not apply to RVs with 20 lb. tanks on board.
We go through this exercise about six times a year.

Well the DOT and our other instuctors all said that they did apply.

Try going through one of those tunnels with tanks on and you will quickly find out that this is not permitted. And that will probably erase your vacation fund
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:40 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Just find the law and post a link.
That should keep you busy until next camping season.
Nobody is arguing that you may be required to shut off your propane tanks when going through a tunnel or boarding a ferry. I believe that was covered earlier in this thread.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:41 PM   #23

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Why 12 volts on them? For the vast majority of RV refers out there that are only powered by 110 ac or LP, the 12Vs feed the computer board only. Do believe that the 3 way run refers, 12v/LP/110v, are pretty much extinct now. I think you may be taking the operating instructions in the manual as a law. It is really only legaleze to cover the manufactures backside. As others have pointed out, there are only a few incidences it needs to be turned off. Otherwise it's legal to run while traveling.

I take that the manual says that it is the law to be a good indication that it is the law. Replaced mine about 2 years ago and the manual said that this was the law. Have been to some classes where the instructors said this was the law. The instructors were from the DOT and NFPA, but I am sure they know nothing about the law.

And interesting extinct is sure pretty active still. Just bought one. NOW you will find that some of the bigger frigs just assume they can keep cool for the trip. And they specify that. One manual I have seen even has a chart of how far you can go before powering it up again.

I have seen a lot of units (not that big of a sample set, just at camp grounds comparing notes with other RV owners) which only have LP and 12 volts. Have seen a few full sizes without 12 volts. But have yet to see a normal scamp sized one without 12 volts.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:52 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerspook View Post
I take that the manual says that it is the law to be a good indication that it is the law.

What manual? You can't ( actually you can ) keep making statements that are not backed up by legitimate sources.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:16 AM   #25
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
I take that the manual says that it is the law to be a good indication that it is the law. Replaced mine about 2 years ago and the manual said that this was the law. Have been to some classes where the instructors said this was the law.

I take that the manual says that it is the law to be a good indication that liability lawyers were paid to write something.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 02:42 AM   #26

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
I take that the manual says that it is the law to be a good indication that it is the law.
Perhaps you could post a picture of your manual for us. The use of LP while on the road comes up every once in a while and seems to go sideways . I, for one, would like to see that statement in a manual. A link or two of state or federal laws for RVs would be nice also.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 07:16 AM   #27

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Here is an example of the type of citation we all want to see...

49 CFR 173.301 - General requirements for shipment of compressed gases and other hazardous materials in cylinders, UN pressure receptacles and spherical pressure vessels.

CFR is the Code of Federal Regulations, i.e. the LAW. This is an example of a legal citation and not the answer to the question of using a fridge on propane over the road.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 07:51 AM   #28

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
... You can be in big trouble if it has not been been certified in the last 10 years. ....
Actually as long as it was last filled while it was still in its certification period, then you can use it past the ten year period and until it is empty. It is not illegal to use a propane tank which was last certified more than ten years ago (only to fill it). The law for that is in my prior post.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 08:46 AM   #29

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Here's one:
"For transportation, make sure:
the propane cylinders are maintained in an upright position so that the gaseous propane remains constantly in contact with the safety valve to minimize the risks in case of a leak.
the cylinder's valve is closed properly. It is mandatory that the outlet of the supply valve from refillable cylinders of 45 lbs. or less be fitted with a weather cap or a dust cap, as applicable. It is also highly recommended to use weather caps on cylinders of greater capacity.
to follow the additional conditions for transporting dangerous materials in Québec, wich are, among others:
It is forbidden for an on-road vehicle carrying more than two (2) propane cylinders to circulate inside any tunnel where a road sign forbids it.
Only cylinders having a water capacity of 46 litres or less (which corresponds to propane cylinders of 40 lbs. and less) may be transported inside such tunnels.
Before a recreational vehicle carrying propane boards a ferryboat, the driver must notify the ship’s captain or his representative.
It is forbidden to transport or store propane cylinders aboard a private vehicle, unless the space to receive the cylinder is vented to the outside. To this purpose, a window or the trunk, depending on where the cylinder is placed, must be left at least partially opened. Make sure the cylinder does not tip off, either by using a holder or by securing it with a strap. Close the supply valve of the propane cylinder of a recreational vehicle when travelling, even when the cylinder is located on the outside of the vehicle. "
fromhttps://www.rbq.gouv.qc.ca/en/you-ar...ne.html#c15466

Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:50 AM   #30
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
"Regie du batiment " website is focused on building construction regulations in Quebec. When scrolling the structure of the laws it covers, those items are formatted in an outline structure, not just a list of recommendations.

I'm not familiar with Canadian regulations, but I can't see how one could be ticketed without reference to a specific regulation/law.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, scamp