Screws - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2012, 10:03 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: 99 Scamp 16
Idaho
Screws

The screws holding the hinge on the bathroom door and most of the cabinets with the roller latches won't stay in the wood they just spin when you tighten them and start to fall back out in travel. Is there a way to keep the screws in the wood so stay tight, I've noticed scamp does not use the most highest quality of wood. Any help would be appreciated.
camper1887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:21 PM   #2

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Fill holes w/ 5min. epoxy or epoxy paste, let cure, drill undersize pilot hole on centers of holes in hinge leaf, screw em on. Yes Virginia, we've all whittled little pegs and stuck friction matches in oversize holes. The fix that allows you go on fixing and not to be recommended.
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:42 PM   #3

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
When I bought mine, the storage room door(same as your bathroom door) had completely torn off, including part of the frame. I cut a new door, installed new moulding around the opening and used a full length piano hinge on the new door. I don't thing the 20+ screws will all come out.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:28 AM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I would drill the hole out. Glue a dowel in the new hole. Cut it flush. Drill a pilot hole and install your screws. I prefer birch dowels if I can find them. Good luck, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:12 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Easy method is to fill the hole with wooden toothpicks and jam in epoxy (or even Gorilla Glue) to totally fill the voids. Screws need something to "bite" into... and the toothpicks accomplish that.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:09 PM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
A lot of boat builders dip the screw theads in varnish before screwing in to give them a better hold.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:44 AM   #7

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Easy method is to fill the hole with wooden toothpicks and jam in epoxy (or even Gorilla Glue) to totally fill the voids. Screws need something to "bite" into... and the toothpicks accomplish that.
Like Donna said; always a font of wisdom.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:45 AM   #8

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Also helps if you twiddle the toothpicks in the epoxy prior to jamming into the hole.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:26 AM   #9

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A View Post
Also helps if you twiddle the toothpicks in the epoxy prior to jamming into the hole.
"twiddle" a teknickle turm we furniture repair folks use....for coating a tiny bit of wood with glue.
all those are good methods. you sort of have to look it over and see what works best. is it just the screw holes wore out? wood not split then the toothpick/matchstick may be enough. and always put a little glue on them . if the wood itself is splitting, and if you have crammed enough matchsticks in there,,,eventualy it will, then drill it out and glue in a hunk of dowel this will reinforce the slip a little. and give something for the screw to dig into. oh,,,predrill the hole to avoid splitin it back out.
if the whole thing has gone to hell in a handcart,,,you may have to carefully cut out a section , fit a new piece in and glue and clamp it.

i never have any varnish around when i stick screws in,,,but always have a little wood glue, that helps lube the screws puitting them in,,,and makes them hold a little better too, while still allowing you to remove them some day.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:10 AM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Donna's Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I had the same problem. One Saturday I took a bottle of Gorilla glue and a box of small wooden matches and reattached all the cabinet door screws. Over a year later all the screws are still in place. It helps if you wet the matches as per the instructions on the glue
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:15 AM   #11

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
The bathroom door on our '98 Scamp fell off during the "shakedown" cruise coming home (3,100 miles). When I got back I shot a blob of Elmer's Wood Glue in each hole (no toothpick!), held up the door, and screwed it back in with a screw that was 1/4" longer than the original screw. Holding up like a champ.
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:34 AM   #12

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
Our travels this summer took us through Backus twice this summer and seeing as the trailer is still under warranty we stopped at the factory about the screw problem. Ours were the ones holding the kitchen unit in place at the bottom. First time Kent told the repair guy to use silicone but he tried longer screws instead. This didn't work so we tried wood filler and silicone which didn't last long. The second trip to the factory they installed aluminium behind the fiberglass - so far so good. I suspect there is a vibration problem to fix as we haven't been off paved roads except the campsite.
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote