Screws that unscrew and pop rivets that shear off - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2014, 06:37 PM   #1

Name: Nancy
Trailer: (formerly) Scamp
Montana
Screws that unscrew and pop rivets that shear off

Some info: bought and refurbed a 16' 1986 Scamp summer 2013 with back dinette/bed and side toilet. Removed the toilet. That area now houses a rubber/plastic storage drawer system that holds toiletries, flash lights, batteries, etc. I provide this info, but not sure it is relevant to my question. Every time I use the Scamp, I find one or more cabinet and other screw(s) and pop rivets on the floor. The pop rivets are from the wall between the stove counter and the toilet room. We have replaced some of the pop rivets with new ones or with bolts. The nuts fall of the bolts and the pop rivets continue to shear off. Any suggestions for what causes these to shear and unscrew?

Thanks,

Nancy
Missoula, MT
narnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:52 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
If they are popping out of the cabinet over the stove/sink I'll bet that the black metal support between the counter and the cabinet is missing.

About the only other thing that will cause that are holes that have worn oversize. You can help some by using "Back-Up" washers on the inside next time you replaced the rivets.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:17 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Nancy, could be many reasons, including a shot axle that's bouncing too much. However, in view of your other post about the creaking, popping noise from the floor, I'd be giving the frame a close inspection. I believe there's a bend in the A-frame near the front of the cabin, which is a weak point. I'd suspect the street-side, since that's where the fasteners are failing.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 05:38 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
I agree, I would be checking the frame for any bends or cracks. I would also check all the body to frame mounting bolts/screws making sure they are in place and tight, these often loosen off and/or rust off. It sounds like the body shell is flexing more than it should, so check the frame and mounting bolts.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote