SeaLand toilet bowl does not retail water - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2015, 07:09 AM   #1

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
SeaLand toilet bowl does not retail water

Hi all,

I posted a query about this earlier (could not find old post so adding a new one).

The toilet bowl does not hold water it slowly leaks out. I did check the seal and no debris or obstructions found. The troubleshooting part of the user manual also indicated check the clamp that may need to be tightening. I disassembled the base cover and handle this AM. The big clamp is tight and the handle seems not to have any adjustments.

So I re-assembled the few bits and went back to inspecting the ball valve. I discovered that the ball valve is not closing completely to seal the bowl. If I manually push it back a bit, gently as no forcing is needed it does seal fine.

I have not found any info about the return spring or adjustments on the unit.

I assume it is still under warranty (new Oct. 3, 2015 from Scamp).

I sent an email to Dometic/SeaLand to see what they suggest.

Any ideas from you experienced FGT folks in the meantime?

It was working fine for our 3 month trip to California Mid Jan-April so it clearly was not a wintering issue.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:52 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Leaky toilet

We had the same problem with our toilet, but only after 12 years or so.
the rubber seal that mates to the ball valve had worn at the edges.
I had also noticed some leakage around the outside of the base.
By taking the bowl off the base and inverting the rubber gasket (seal) and reassembling, tightening all hardware, it holds water.
Make sure the seal is centered on the ball valve.

If yours is that new, could you have put any kind of abrasive in there which might have damaged the edges of the seal? I works like a squeegee.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:58 AM   #3

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
If the ball is not closing all the way, it may need to be lubed. Some people give it a shot of Pam cooking spray.
I changed the seal on ours last year but its 16 years old.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:05 AM   #4

Michigan
Thanks for the replies,

I decided to check the seal again just in case I missed something...

Seems OK after a more careful close look.

OK the suggestion of using a mirror seems more practical and will be my next thing to do. I do see SeaLand has replacement parts for seals and looks like on Amazon only about $25.

Possibly DW's home made non-toxic cleaning products using baking soda may have been abrasive enough to damage the seal? So in spite of my "Life's to serious to take it shortly" approach above or something like that I will take another look using the mirror approach.

Tnx all
Old 07-12-2015, 09:31 AM   #5

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatDude View Post
Possibly DW's home made non-toxic cleaning products using baking soda may have been abrasive enough to damage the seal?
Nah. Baking Soda is non abrasive.
Old 07-12-2015, 11:14 AM   #6
OKE

Name: JOE
Trailer: BIGFOOT 25RQ
Oklahoma
Registry
TOILET SEAL

My 2007 bigfoot had the same problem that was cured with thetford toilet seal lubricant and conditioner. I found it at camping world but I believe it is widely available.
OKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:38 AM   #7

Michigan
Hmmm I guess my head was really somewhere else and did not note that the auto correct had changed retain to retail LOL,

I will look for the seal lube ASAP.
Great tip.
Old 07-12-2015, 12:30 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Do NOT replace the seal. It will simply do it again. You mentioned not shutting all the way and that is the biggest problem. I spoke to Dometic about it and she said simply let go of the "paddle" about half way and let it "snap" shut and it will close it completely.

Sometimes, I've still had to get some mild cleaner on a rag and wipe the seal good and clean.

I've concluded, sometimes it leaks, and sometimes it doesnt. If mine is dry, I always pull up on the handle to run some water in the bowl before using it.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 03:38 PM   #9

Michigan
Wow ran out to our Scamp and tested that. YES!!!
It snaps completely closed!

During our last trip we also pulled up on the handle to add a bit of H2O.
The more obvious issue is when the ball in not completely closed it lets odors in.
Eeek.

But now the snap routine should solve that.

Tnx
Old 07-13-2015, 08:37 AM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Glad I could help but one more bit of advice.

For chemical in your black tank? Use this and you'll be thanking me again later. Floyd from here recommended this to me years ago. I tried several "good smell"ing brands but they were virtually worthless. This will eliminate the odors totally:
Odorlos 68 oz. - Valterra PA352LU53/V77003 - Sewer Deodorizers & Treatment - Camping World

I use only the liquid. Of course get any size you want. But I had a $25 coupon from CW when I rejoined for 2 yrs awhile ago. I used it and bought the LARGE version. That's how much I count on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatDude View Post
....The more obvious issue is when the ball in not completely closed it lets odors in. Eeek.

But now the snap routine should solve that.

Tnx
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote