Sealing floor before Allure - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-16-2017, 02:13 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Posts: 739
Sealing floor before Allure

So for those of you who have installed Allure. Did you seal the floor before installing? What did you use? Floor/Porch paint? Polyurethane? Fiberglass Resin? Does it matter?

How did it work out?

Getting close to starting the lay, sanding the old glue off today.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 03:31 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Posts: 5,892
I've wondered about that myself. Seams between sections of wood floor could allow moisture up when traveling in a rainstorm.

FWIW, I do know that Eggcampers have FG resin coating on the top surface (only). It should seal things well enough, I'd think.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 10:36 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Al and Cindy K's Avatar
 
Name: Al
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
Posts: 596
After removing all the glue and carpet strands, the only prep work I did was to clean the floor thoroughly (vacuum and wipe repeatedly with damp cloths). Its been down for over a year now and we're well satisfied with both the look and the performance.

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 10:37 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Gilles's Avatar
 
Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Posts: 692
Registry
Me when I installed "Allure" in my old "Jubilee" I simply removed the old glued tiles, installed "Allure", made a joint all around to close well.
Attached Thumbnails
2015-06-12 13.51.35.jpg  
__________________
Gilles
Bigfoot 25B21RB.
Towed with Dodge RAM 1500 Echo-Diesel, 3.0 L., 8 speeds.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 10:24 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Posts: 1,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Me when I installed "Allure" in my old "Jubilee" I simply removed the old glued tiles, installed "Allure", made a joint all around to close well.
Is this the same allure that Home Depot sells for homes? We just put it in our 3rd room at home and it is awesome. First room was done 2 years ago.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:50 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Gilles's Avatar
 
Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Posts: 692
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
Is this the same allure that Home Depot sells for homes? We just put it in our 3rd room at home and it is awesome. First room was done 2 years ago.
Yes, it is this one.
It gave a beautiful rendering.
We were very satisfied.
__________________
Gilles
Bigfoot 25B21RB.
Towed with Dodge RAM 1500 Echo-Diesel, 3.0 L., 8 speeds.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:40 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Posts: 2,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I've wondered about that myself. Seams between sections of wood floor could allow moisture up when traveling in a rainstorm.

FWIW, I do know that Eggcampers have FG resin coating on the top surface (only). It should seal things well enough, I'd think.
To prevent that situation of water from the outside coming up through a plywood joint between panels you should get underneath the trailer and caulk to seams from the outside to prevent water from ever getting into the seam. This is not a problem one would address from the interior. You don't want water getting to any cut edge on plywood as it will wick into those end grain fibers and travel further into the sheet good which can cause the plywood not only to rot but also to delaminate.

If you tried to fill such a seam with resin from inside the trailer and the seam was open all the way to the outside you would first have to go underneath the trailer and apply tape on the seam so that the resin was retained in the seam instead of squeezing out onto the ground.

Of course I myself would not take either approach. I would go underneath, do a very careful cleaning job and put fiberglass cloth and resin across the seam. As you pull the plastic squeege across the fiberglass that has resin in the cloth you will push some of the resin up into the joint and that is good but it does mean you should tape off the joint from the top side so you don't have a mess to clean up afterward.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 11:25 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Posts: 739
I did what I found that Scamp had done. The section of floor that I replaced was supported around the perimeter on either frame members, or cross members of steal. I applied butyl tape to all of the frame and cross members prior to putting the plywood back in place. This will prevent any water from getting up and around the edges of the plywood, so it cannot get into the seam. As a double measure to prevent problems in the future, the marine plywood that I used to patch the floor had two coats of fiberglass resin applied to top, bottom, and all edges.

I also had to do a little sanding to level all the seams out, so prior to installing the Allure, the entire floor was painted with floor and porch paint, this was to re-seal the areas that may have been compromised by the sanding.

Once the weather is nicer (snow and low 20's F here today) I will go under the trailer and replace the fiberglass that had to be removed around the edges, but I'm quite certain all is water tight as it is for now.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:01 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Posts: 5,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
I did what I found that Scamp had done. The section of floor that I replaced was supported around the perimeter on either frame members, or cross members of steal. I applied butyl tape to all of the frame and cross members prior to putting the plywood back in place. This will prevent any water from getting up and around the edges of the plywood, so it cannot get into the seam. As a double measure to prevent problems in the future, the marine plywood that I used to patch the floor had two coats of fiberglass resin applied to top, bottom, and all edges.

I also had to do a little sanding to level all the seams out, so prior to installing the Allure, the entire floor was painted with floor and porch paint, this was to re-seal the areas that may have been compromised by the sanding.

Once the weather is nicer (snow and low 20's F here today) I will go under the trailer and replace the fiberglass that had to be removed around the edges, but I'm quite certain all is water tight as it is for now.
No, no, that's totally inadequate, you'll have to do it over........ just kidding! I think your marine plywood section just might survive for the next millenium's paleontologists to dig up!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Allure floor by trafficmaster Ruth G Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 54 03-16-2017 02:07 PM
Advice on Allure Floor Install - Raising sub floor Tommy Gun Modifications, Alterations and Updates 4 10-12-2015 12:04 AM
Help with door ledge when installing Allure floor scamphappy Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 0 08-06-2014 07:56 PM
Drilling hole in UHaul floor - sealing Thomas G. Modifications, Alterations and Updates 4 12-22-2011 06:21 AM
Sealing/Repairing Underside of Floor Jeff G. Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 3 06-28-2006 02:17 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.