Seam Beading for Burro - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2014, 10:09 PM   #1

Name: Paul
Trailer: 1983 Burro 13ft.
California
Seam Beading for Burro

Every Burro I've seen has an unusual beading that seems to seal the two halves of the Burro over the roof longitudinally.
Anyone know where to get this kind of beading to replace my old bead?
Previous owners have used copious amounts of silicone to seal the beading and it ALL needs to go away and be replaced properly.
Any help at all would be appreciated.
Wugburro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:39 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
it is called "Trim Lok" and it can be found at any RV place, auto upholstery supply store or online. Some hardware stores even carry it.

Take a piece with you so you get the exact right size. That stuff is a bugger to get on if its even a nat hair too small.

Trim-Lok's Edge Trims
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:47 AM   #3

Name: Gage
Trailer: 13' Burro
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina D. View Post
Take a piece with you so you get the exact right size. That stuff is a bugger to get on if its even a nat hair too small.
But once you get it started, it goes pretty easy. A rubber mallet can help.
gage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:41 AM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
It doesn't really act as a "sealer", it is "trim" to cover the seam. I got mine at JC Whitney. Perfectfit.com has it too. Theoretically the fiberglass seam is sealed when assembled, but I had leaks in the seam on our Uhaul which is similar to Burro. I used Proflex RV sealant to solve that issue. The trimlok is available in different colors.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:41 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
It doesn't really act as a "sealer", it is "trim" to cover the seam. I got mine at JC Whitney. Perfectfit.com has it too. Theoretically the fiberglass seam is sealed when assembled, but I had leaks in the seam on our Uhaul which is similar to Burro. I used Proflex RV sealant to solve that issue. The trimlok is available in different colors.
Yeah, if you're using Trim-Lok (or similar) to seal the two halves together, there's something wrong and you really should fix the problem before it becomes a MAJOR maintenance issue.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:50 PM   #6

New York
I can tell you from experience on our Uhaul, it only takes a very very small, almost impossible to see, flaw in the seam, or around a window, marker light, or window weatherstrip to allow water to enter. Then it will travel before you see it and make it even more difficult to find the source. I'll bet there's a lot of Uhauls out there that leak and the owner is unaware because of not removing storage liners to look. Or we have a Monday morning or Friday afternoon built trailer that was thrown together before morning coffee or "time to go home for the weekend"!
Old 01-29-2014, 08:08 PM   #7

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Leaks are evil. There are marine adhesive caulks that are pretty good for seam use.

The two halves are joined with fiberglass on the inside when manufactured, making it a solid shell, the seam trim is just a cover to hide the edges of the two halves.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:12 PM   #8

New York
Despite the fiberglass on the inside joining the halves, I still had a leak in the top seam. Couldn't see any flaw on the inside at all, or any sign of the seam, but water would just seep through a spot on the ceiling and drip onto the floor. It was a result of poor assembly. First leak was rearward of the roof vent, later found more leaks forward of it. Leaks have been the most annoying issue of any with this trailer. The original poster hasn't made any mention of leaks that I recall, so we may just be speculating on that. Hopefully he just needs replacement trim.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:35 PM   #9

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
There is no reason to seal the trim lock, if it is the correct size, it's a compression fit that works well. When installing it, roll it back on itself. Let the finish side be on the INSIDE of the coil and apply just a little pulling backwards while pressing it down on the seam. This makes the metal bits spring out a bit..then just roll it forward and down with the same pressure.

Sometimes a mallet may be needed, especially if they did a sloppy job on the flash. I have seen some trimmed nicely, others all over the place.

If they used silicone, it is possible they were trying to fix a leak. Once you dig the crap out, go get some Self Leveling Dicor and run a bead in the slot. Once the trim lock is in place, you should never have to worry about it again. The trim lock is not designed as a sealer, but it functions that way accidentally to some degree in this application by protecting the sealant from most of the weather.

Dicor Self-Leveling Lap Sealant - White - Dicor 501LSW-1 - Roof Maintenance & Repair - Camping World
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro