Seam Between 2 Pieces of Fiberglass - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2014, 10:09 AM   #1

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Seam Between 2 Pieces of Fiberglass

I removed my microwave and am going to convert that space into either drawers or a cabinet with 2 shelves. I want this to be easily removable if I or a future owner want to put the microwave back in.

Think of a box open on the front. That is what currently exists and the microwave sits in the box. On the left side, there is only half a side; in other words, the bottom extends out 11", but the side is only 5". So I need to add a piece of fiberglass 6" x 11" to extend the side.

There is already the shelf on the bottom which held the microwave, so the bottom is not an issue. There is fiberglass on top and on the right side, so those aren't an issue.

I cut a piece of fiberglass from some scraps I got from Parkliner to fit the open area on the left side. I am going to fasten wood to the fiberglass and then use angle brackets to the new fiberglass to the bottom and already existing fiberglass.

So the one issue I can't figure out is how to dress up the seam where the 6" x 11" piece of fiberglass matches up with existing fiberglass. I don't want to bond them together, because I may want to remove it in the future. What would make a nice looking seam? (6" long)

Seam - I can slide the lower piece a little to left or right

Holding the piece in place. This is what the box will look like.

I think I will use 3M tape to attach angle brackets to fiberglass and then screw into the bottom and side.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:20 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I would suggest some kind of accenting "T" molding.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:28 AM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
I removed my microwave and am going to convert that space into either drawers or a cabinet with 2 shelves. I want this to be easily removable if I or a future owner want to put the microwave back in.

Think of a box open on the front. That is what currently exists and the microwave sits in the box. On the left side, there is only half a side; in other words, the bottom extends out 11", but the side is only 5". So I need to add a piece of fiberglass 6" x 11" to extend the side.

There is already the shelf on the bottom which held the microwave, so the bottom is not an issue. There is fiberglass on top and on the right side, so those aren't an issue.

I cut a piece of fiberglass from some scraps I got from Parkliner to fit the open area on the left side. I am going to fasten wood to the fiberglass and then use angle brackets to the new fiberglass to the bottom and already existing fiberglass.

So the one issue I can't figure out is how to dress up the seam where the 6" x 11" piece of fiberglass matches up with existing fiberglass. I don't want to bond them together, because I may want to remove it in the future. What would make a nice looking seam? (6" long)

The battery is dead on my camera so will add a picture when camera is charged.
Automotive door edge molding is available in chrome, black, white and maybe even red and other colors.
Also there are plastic moldings made to join paneling. They too are available in various colors at your local bigbox hardware store or lumberyard.
Another excellent idea would be to use vinyl siding finish molding, also available in multiple colors.
The clip strips used to attach above ground pool liners would work well.

You could even use contact paper or marine fabric to cover the entire wall.

Ok , so that last one is a reach and its time to stop already!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:29 AM   #4

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I would suggest some kind of accenting "T" molding.
I was hoping you would say duct tape!

If I could find it in white that matched, I would be really tempted.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:46 AM   #5

Name: David
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Contact paper! Not construction paper...or band-aids. Beneath the contact paper you might even use some caulk that could later be removed.
Lightrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:17 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
I was hoping you would say duct tape!

If I could find it in white that matched, I would be really tempted.

Check in automotive stores for colored striping. You can get any width and color you want. I would use a contrasting color, in your case something that matches other colors like curtains, upholstery, etc. etc.