Seam tape - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2016, 11:47 AM   #1
BLB

Name: bl
Trailer: 1978 Trillium Surfside
Ontario
Seam tape

I am preparing to paint the soft internal walls of my 1977 Triple E SurfSide. I need to replace all the seam tape. What is the best way to do that? Can I buy that tape somewhere on line? Is there a better way to close the gaps? Any and all thoughts will be appreciated,
BL
BLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:25 PM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I closed the gaps with latex caulking, then covered with seam tape. I felt it gave me more for the seam tape to attach to.
I can't remember where I got my tape. It was a double sided mounting tape. Typically used to mount signs on walls.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:44 PM   #3

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
I removed all the tape installed by the previous owner [it kept coming loose], carefully fiilled the gaps with paintable caulking and repainted the entire interior. It is not perfect but much better than sagging tape. Everyone else says it looks great. I like perfection but sometimes not possible on a 40 year old trailer.
Bob in Mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:02 PM   #4
BLB

Ontario
thanks!

thanks to both of you. Great tips. Never considered using NO tape! that's my first plan.
Appreciate it,
BL
Old 09-21-2016, 02:43 PM   #5

Name: Tanner
Trailer: Triple E
Manitoba
For my surfside, I picked up some roll of vinyl from the local rv shop in the colour called "colonial white". First I cleaned the ensolite really well, and then used clear silicone to attach the vinyl. It turned out really good, and only cost 20 bucks. The colour is a near match to the ensolite. I think it looks better than what it came with.
Gieser0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 03:52 PM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLB View Post
thanks to both of you. Great tips. Never considered using NO tape! that's my first plan.
Appreciate it,
BL
When you fill the gaps with paintable caulk, wait a few minutes then tap it with a sponge to texture it. That will help match it to the texture of the wall covering and make it less visible after paint.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 10:19 PM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
When you fill the gaps with paintable caulk, wait a few minutes then tap it with a sponge to texture it. That will help match it to the texture of the wall covering and make it less visible after paint.
Moistening the sponge with soapy water helps.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:08 PM   #8
BLB

Ontario
re-enforce bed?

We are talking the table option out of the mix, we only use the bed. We found a 3/4 posterpedic mattress that fits which is fantastic. Now it is quite sloped near the wall because of the table hardware underneath. We want to take the table off and reinforce the bed with plywood instead. Any concerns I should consider before removing it?