Securing microwave ? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2016, 08:40 PM   #21

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
Jack
Yup deposit ny...
This just proves how small a world it really is
Broome county in my youth... and a few weeks out the year still.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:46 PM   #22

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Too funny
I m always shocked when you move away how quickly one hears from someone from their old stomping grounds

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 09:05 PM   #23

Trailer: Boler
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
Jack
Yup deposit ny
Hancock was always our sports competion
My family had a very good
Hardware store /plumbing business in Deposit
Ed Hartz & Sons... It was in business about 80 yrs
Ask her if she ever heard of it unless she moved from Hancock as a child
This just proves how small a world it really is
Christy Burtch - her parents are Bud & Elsie. her mother and brother still live in Hancock and we visit every other year. I've spent a lot of time up there over the last 37 years. we'll probably be back up there this fall.
Very pretty area right on the Delaware River.
Jack Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 09:15 PM   #24

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
Funny....

Funny how some people get upset at a bit of levity (leave the micro at home) but don't mind one bit long posts about obscure places along the Hudson River from decades ago....

as for microwaves in small trailers...they sure are great when you need to heat something up in a hurry and I thought of getting a small one for the times I can plug in...then I remembered that when I'm in "trailer mode" I'm NEVER in a hurry anyways....so no micro for me

happy trails
Attached Thumbnails
pyromid.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:08 AM   #25

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2982.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	338.2 KB
ID:	94900

We have a microwave and find it useful for various reasons. It sits on it's own shelf above the top bunk which we seldom use. We learned the hard way that the door would come open and the glass tray would fly around the trailer! Now the glass tray is removed and put in a towel in the towel drawer below the fridge and a bungee cord goes around the microwave so the door won't swing open. Constant opening and closing of the door while one travels will make the microwave inefficient in the long term.

One night, in the pouring rain and after a trip to a convenience store, we cooked our whole meal of boxed Chinese food in the microwave and thought it was better than other alternatives.
Bob in Mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:45 AM   #26

Name: Tom and Stephanie
Trailer: Casita 17' Freedom Deluxe
Wisconsin
Take your favorite ginzo knife and taper cut a wedge out of a block of Styrofoam -one for either side and wedge the microwave into the cabinet.
Tom Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 11:45 AM   #27

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
The best way to keep a microwave oven from getting damaged while traveling is leave it on counter at home.
LOL

We're currently considering IF we should take our microwave, and if so, WHERE to put it.

We have a gutted rig, will not have a propane range at all, took out the fridge, and have many places we could put the microwave.

So this topic is very interesting to us. YOUR comment made us both snort with laughter. Because of course that's the truth. Won't stop us, but it's a key question that we've been needing some humor about.

LOTS of good ideas above and below, we looked at the here and here links, and realized we'd forgotten about installing a 110 outlet in the cabinet!

So thanks, all, you saved us some trouble!

And thanks for the laugh. We're still probably going to install a microwave, but we feel calmer now.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:31 PM   #28

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
Oregon
Floyd, you have a 13 ft. Scamp....where did you put your microwave? Which electrical outlet did you use? I assume you have to be plugged into 110 shore power?
M Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:40 AM   #29

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Scott View Post
Floyd, you have a 13 ft. Scamp....where did you put your microwave? Which electrical outlet did you use? I assume you have to be plugged into 110 shore power?
Mine is installed in the upper storage compartment next to the bathroom.
I had my trailer built with a 110VAC outlet inside cabinet to accommodate the microwave and also use it for power inside the bathroom. Three things require shore power...The A/C, the converter, and the Microwave.
I installed a vent which vents both the closet and the storage space.(see it next to the entry door to the right of the microwave). I also installed a "medicine chest door" behind it inside the bathroom to store toiletries and linens.
Attached Thumbnails
Pic014.JPG   Eggy-Sue inside 009.jpg  

DSCF0081.JPG  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:22 AM   #30

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
Oregon
Impressive, Floyd. I bought my Deluxe Scamp 2nd hand and don't have the skill to make these modifications or cut into paneling/walls. Have been using the space above closet to store pillow/bedding.
M Scott is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
microwave