Securing Scamp Table Top - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2014, 10:17 AM   #1

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Oregon
Securing Scamp Table Top

Any ideas on securing the removable table top that serves as the bed bottom while traveling? While traveling the table should be down with the mattress cushions on top. I have hit bumps and had the table top board end up on floor.
Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:19 AM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Did you try putting it under the cushions?

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 10-28-2014, 10:31 AM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Dennis, you may want to update your profile to include what year your Scamp is so we have a better idea as to what the issues might be.

First off I have no idea how a table that is installed correctly in a Scamp could bounce off from its stowed down location and end up on the floor. As it should be secured to the back wall of the Scamp.

If this a trailer older than say 15 years and you have things bouncing around that much inside the trailer it would be a good bet the trailer is telling you it needs a new axle.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:44 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
On our Scamps we had small swivel tabs (from the factory) on two of the screws that held the wall/table bracket. You would simply turn the tabs so the table hardware would not be able to come out of the bracket. Check yours out to see if they are turned in the "open" position or if they are missing. I missing I believe you could pick up a pair from Scamp.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:45 AM   #5

Registry
On our Scamps we had small swivel tabs (from the factory) on two of the screws that held the wall/table bracket. You would simply turn the tabs so the table hardware would not be able to come out of the bracket. Check yours out to see if they are turned in the "open" position or if they are missing. If missing I believe you could pick up a pair from Scamp.
Dave & Paula
Old 10-28-2014, 11:08 AM   #6

Florida
Registry
Securing Scamp Table Top

I could be wrong, but I thought he was talking about the small board that supplements the table top, and not the table itself?????

Old 10-28-2014, 11:54 AM   #7

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Doesn't the table mount to the back wall on a swing bar? Only way table attached to the wall like that could end up on the floor is if the rear seats moved so far apart the end dropped between them.

Hmmm. Seems like a job for pictures!
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:08 PM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
I could be wrong, but I thought he was talking about the all board that supplements the table top, and not the table itself?????

all board supplement ??? only a table top on mine
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:37 PM   #9

Oregon
It is a 2014, 13' Scamp. My mistake. It is not the table top, but the board that serves as the mattress platform that supplements the table top. It is usually stowed under the mattress during travel. On extremely bumpy roads it can, and has, slipped out from under the mattress and landed on the floor.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:45 PM   #10

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Might try a patch or two of that no-skid matting they make for RV table tops and cupboards. Place on the table, extra board on mat. Stuff is pretty good at preventing sliding of objects. I think I have seen it at Wally World and other stores besides RV suppliers.

Grip Placemat - Khaki - Kittrich KTCH-CPM32-24 - Non-slip materials - Camping World
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:56 PM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Starting to make sense now!! I take it you have one of the new standard versions with the larger bed? Please don't tell my wife - she would want one! LOL...

I believe it's 20" wide, right?

Easiest thing is just to put it on the floor under the dinette to begin with. Or under the cushion on the front sofa (if you have one) - shouldn't bounce as much there.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 01:16 PM   #12

Florida
Registry
Securing Scamp Table Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
all board supplement ??? only a table top on mine

Sorry, that was supposed to be small board, not all board. The "M" key is right next to the backspace key in the iPhone and I sometimes hit it, deleting the previous letter and not typing an M! Original post has been edited.
We did transport it under the cushions, and when set up, put it in place from bench to bench along the back wall providing a shelf under the back edge of the trailer to temporarily store things, like the laptop when it was not in use on the dinette table.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:34 PM   #13

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Dennis,

We have always stored items like that behind the back of our couch. Presently we have removed the top hinge from the couch because we don't use the bunks. Before we removed the hings we would just lift the bottom of the couch back and store stuff behind the back of the couch.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:45 PM   #14

Registry
Dennis, we used to store that board in a closet, secured to the wall. This process was eliminated when we replaced the table with a lighter, better looking, and more functional "hinged table top". we can use the half table most of the time, or open it up for when we have company or for sleeping. It really gave an open feel. Sweet quick set-up and tear down.
Dave & Paula
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01170.jpg   DSC01172.jpg  

DSC01171.jpg   DSC01184.jpg  

Old 10-28-2014, 07:11 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim View Post
It is a 2014, 13' Scamp. My mistake. It is not the table top, but the board that serves as the mattress platform that supplements the table top. It is usually stowed under the mattress during travel. On extremely bumpy roads it can, and has, slipped out from under the mattress and landed on the floor.
If you're worried about it, set the board on floor before you get on read. I think this is a non problem, problem.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:38 PM   #16

Oregon
Thanks for all the great ideas. That "hinged table top" is nice.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:24 PM   #17

Florida
Good catch David. Of course we've had folding (hinged) tables in our trailers as well. It's big benefit is that it opens the dinette space.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-29-2014, 09:10 PM   #18

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Dennis, we used to store that board in a closet, secured to the wall. This process was eliminated when we replaced the table with a lighter, better looking, and more functional "hinged table top". we can use the half table most of the time, or open it up for when we have company or for sleeping. It really gave an open feel. Sweet quick set-up and tear down.
Dave & Paula
This is a nice looking table, but I'm still trying to figure out how it can be all set up and used for dining. How do you put food on the table and all the place settings, etc. and still get into the dinette? It looks like it's so close to all the cabinets?
Click image for larger version

Name:	dinette.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	78174

I see the hinge and that's cool, but how do you set it up to eat... and then get "in" if there's more than two people?
Click image for larger version

Name:	hinge.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	214.0 KB
ID:	78175

Inquiring minds want to know!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:55 PM   #19

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
I added two ⅜" dowels at the front of the ledge that holds the table and extension when in the down/bed position. These keep the extension in place during travel. Otherwise it can slide forward and end up on the floor. Don't ask how I know.

John
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:11 AM   #20

Florida
Donna,

Our table is similar to Dave's table. In the years we've had the table we've only used it unfolded a handful of times to eat. Folded in half is is easily adequate for the two of us for dinner.

It makes the dinette very comfortable in the evening when we're sitting around and visually makes the space look larger.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16

Tags
scamp