Security - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2019, 10:55 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I’m sure they’ll keep taking your premium. Of course I hope you never have cause to use your coverage, but I am curious how it would work if you experienced a total loss now.

I'm assured by the agent that they would buy me a new Escape 17B. Won't know how it shakes out unless I claim.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:12 AM   #22

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
I’m sure they’ll keep taking your premium. Of course I hope you never have cause to use your coverage, but I am curious how it would work if you experienced a total loss now.

Here in British Columbia when you take out insurance they ask you for your declared value and you pay accordingly.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 11:47 AM   #23

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel A. View Post
Here in British Columbia when you take out insurance they ask you for your declared value and you pay accordingly.
So I could declare the value of my Scamp 13 to be $50K?
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 12:12 PM   #24

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
So I could declare the value of my Scamp 13 to be $50K?

You could but they may question it.lol

My motorcycle a Limited addition 1985 Goldwing also has a declared value on it accompanied with photos on file with them.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 12:53 PM   #25

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Same here Daniel. I bought our 2011 Casita in January of 2013. It had been used for one trip. I insured it for what I paid for it.....declared value.....it is still insured for that amount and would be covered for that amount if stolen or a total loss according to my agent. I don't worry about theft of our trailer or our vehicles....life is too short.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 03:56 PM   #26

Name: Russ
Trailer: 2020 25 RQ
British Columbia
I put a california immobilizer on the trailer when unhitched...along with a tongue lock.

The WDH is locked to the truck when out and about...hate to discover that missing.
Russ Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 11:36 AM   #27

Name: Michael
Trailer: Bigfoot
Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffy2 View Post
We have a bigfoot 25RQ that we need some theft prevention for. Friend of mine gave me some square chain with locks that are bolt cutter proof but it won't fit through the holes in the camper rims, it will fit my equipment trailer so I will use it there.

What are some items everyone has used, liked and maybe actually worked. All input is appreciated.
I have the Proven Industries lock and I don’t think a better lock is available. All that said, I am selling mine. Send me a message if you are interested. 2017 25RQ 2 5/16 ball hitch
Nvboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 11:46 AM   #28

Name: Douglas
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
MD
Registry
Quote:
I have a private message recommending Proven industries coupler lock. It looks good in the videos, anyone use one?
I have a Proven Industries and love it. It stores the chain ends up inside it so that they can't be used to steal your trailer.

I had one of those bright yellow tongue locks that has the metal bar going over the top of the coupler. I misplaced my key once, picked up a nearby rock and knocked the lock off in two strikes. They are a waste of money.
Air Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 12:13 PM   #29

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
I've owned a couple vintage and antique cars and the insurance I had was AGREED value. Since the value of vintage and antique items can vary extremely, from rust bucket, to totally restored, to heavily modified restomods.

Obviously, the insurer will want documentation (lots of photos) and will decide if your claimed value is something they can agree on and insure. I would think with photos and a detailed description of all upgrades, you wouldn't have any difficulty getting an insurer to agree to cover your trailer for a value that you would be happy with. I know they also insure boats and motorcycles, so why not trailers? (Maybe they already do -- I haven't checked.)

Some insurers put limits and conditions on how you can drive your car, such as not commuting back and forth to work. I imagine with a travel trailer insured loss might be limited to total loss by theft or collision.

Certainly if you have a trailer that blue books for a few hundred dollars but is realistically worth much more it would be something to look into.

--Harold
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 03:31 PM   #30

Name: kenneth
Trailer: x
Georgia
Toughest hitch lock I've ever seen

This joker ain't cheap, but neither is your camping rig, right?
McKannick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 06:44 PM   #31

Name: John
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel A. View Post
The one thing I did after a break-in was put round wood rod as window blocks to prevent the windows from being pried from outside. The locks are really easy to get past on windows. This is how someone got into my trailer once. The only good thing was I carry insurance year round and they actually found the guy that broke in a month later in a raid for stolen goods. Crack Heads !!
Casita Greg: Roger on the dowel rods. As those rods tend to be brittle, I like to drill a small pilot hole through one end of the rod. Then install a screw in the hole sticking, with it sticking out about 3/8". It makes a nice handle to remove the rods from the window frame. I like to place handle end away from the window opening side.
Geronimo John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 10:42 PM   #32

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
On two axle trailers, you can use an X Chock and then lock it. Not foolproof, as if you deflate the tires you can remove the chock. But it will slow thieves down.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bal-Produ...iABEgIROvD_BwE
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 11:25 AM   #33

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Pewag

Quote:
We have a bigfoot 25RQ that we need some theft prevention for. Friend of mine gave me some square chain with locks that are bolt cutter proof but it won't fit through the holes in the camper rims, it will fit my equipment trailer so I will use it there.

What are some items everyone has used, liked and maybe actually worked. All input is appreciated.
If you have Pewag chain and it won’t quite fit through the holes, you can purchase the next smaller size. It’s just as tough but doesn’t have the breaking strength of the bigger chain. However a battery powered
4 1/2 inch grinder can defeat most of the security chains, bars, rods, etc on the market today. They do make some noise when used. Good insurance is a good idea.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot