Seeking advice re: 19 ft. Scamp 5th Wheel - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2007, 12:39 PM   #21

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
2005 and newer Tacomas have boxes constructed of a composite (plastic) material. I have not seen a Scamp hitch mounted in the newer units, but I am certain that some additional fabrication would be required to tie the hitch directly to the truck frame.
We bought our Scamp used from someone with a recent model Toyota Tacoma with the composite bed. THe folk who installed their hitch welded "wings" on to the Scamp hitch base so it could be tied into the frame. Scamp also made some modifications, extending the "gooseneck" slightly and adding a high-lift axle so the trailer clears the bed sidewalls.

I actually kinda wish it wasn't lifted quite so much. It clears our Ford Ranger sides by a mile, but it makes for a bit larger first step up when getting into the trailer, and the feet at the back have to be chocked with 4x4 lumber before they'll provide ground support.

--Peter
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 12:45 PM   #22

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...With a fixed hitch I have hit the corner of my truck a couple of times while backing and turning into my driveway at home. After getting a slider hitch and being able to move the hitch further back has solved that problem. Now I can jacknife my rig and still not damage the truck...
I assume that the Bigfoot uses a real fifth wheel (pin-and-plate arrangement), not a ball and socket coupler like the Scamp. Is that right, Paul?

A manual sliding hitch could perhaps be done with a ball hitch, by using a sliding baseplate arrangement intended for fifth-wheels, but with a "gooseneck" ball-mounting system. An automatic slider would be another thing entirely, and it's not obvious to me how that might be done. I suspect that just about everyone using a ball-and-socket in the truck bed (whether it is a Scamp 19' or a gooseneck trailer) just has the ball fixed in one location.

I think one of the reasons that Scamp went with a ball and socket, rather than pin-and-plate, is that those fifth-wheel hitches are typically unnecessarily heavy and expensive, since they are intended for much heavier trailers (typically 15,000 lb and up).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 06:31 PM   #23

Trailer: 2005 Scamp
I have a 2003 Deluxe Scamp 5'vr with a side bath.

McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 08:32 PM   #24

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Beautiful trailer Wish it were mine
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 08:57 PM   #25

Thanks Donna,

This is my first trailer and I have only had it about 6 months. Before going into the market for a trailer I did a bunch of research on trailers. I looked for a trailer that would hold value, was easy and safe to tow, light weight and was durable and I came up with a SCAMP 5'er. So I went looking for a used one, I almost went from Florida to Georgia and of course to Minnesota to buy one of these trailers. I watched the paper, Ebay, Craigslist, and all the large RV Trader websites I could find. I spent probably six months vigorously looking and finally all the waiting effort and persistance paid off. I found this one in Dallas on Craigslist with only about 10 words and a price with no pictures. I asked the owner for some pictures but all she did was refer me to the Scamp site and told me she had no way to send me pictures. Heck I had already been to the Scamp site but after talking to the owner I was convinced that it was in great shape so I went up to Dallas the next weekend and bought it. The best thing about it was the price and the worst thing was getting the hitch in the back of the truck. The owner didnt realy know what she had and was glad to sell it to a good home. After getting home and requesting Scamp to send me literature, this trailer had every option in it except a oven and it has the middle size refridgerator of the three offered. So after pricing all that stuff I came up with about 21-22k new, and I picked this one up for a bunch less then half that.
Heck I would have looked for a Casita 5'er if they made one.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:49 PM   #26

Trailer: 1999 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel / 2003 Toyota Tacoma
My Tacoma is the 4 door with 5' box. In order to have clearance for the cab, I installed the hitch about 8" behind the Centerline of the rear axle. In the world of 5th wheels, this is not acceptable. My truck has a 5000# tow rating and a 500# hitch weight at the rear bumper. The hitch weight of my 5er does not exceed the limit and it is not at the rear of the truck. This arrangement has caused no problems what-so-ever
Dennis U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 02:02 AM   #27

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Quote:
Nice trailer! We bought a standard 5th wheel with side bath. Scamp seems pretty flexible about custom deluxe configurations so I'm not surprised to see a side-bath custom version like yours. I really like the kitchen layout of your deluxe model -- it better than the standard model, IMHO, with range and sink on the same side. You have a nice tall storage cabinet that we don't have.

--Lynne
lynneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 01:32 PM   #28

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...In order to have clearance for the cab, I installed the hitch about 8" behind the Centerline of the rear axle. In the world of 5th wheels, this is not acceptable....
... but I think it is perfectly reasonable. Nothing in the real world is absolute - there are always shades of grey - and I think of this as just a compromise between the conventional fifth-wheel location (directly over, or slightly ahead of, the rear axle) and the conventional tag trailer location. As long as the truck and axle loads and ratings are all considered, this should be quite sound and perhaps the best solution for this particular application.

Thanks, Dennis, for sharing your configuration with us. I think that others have mentioned similar setups in previous discussions.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 10:17 AM   #29

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I am in North East Ohio outside of Cleveland. I have a 1985 Scamp 5 er. It is in good shape and I put a lot of work into it. I just do not get to use it that much. It does not have a bathroom and it is the standard model. There is a a port a potty in the closet.

I am going to put brand new tires on it and new curtains from scamp. I just put in new carpet and I bought new cushion covers for it from scamp. The cushion are stored in a cedar lined closet for the winter.

If you have any interest in it contact me at rorymcb@adelphia.net

thanks,
Terry
Terry McB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 10:26 AM   #30

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hi Terry
Maybe post your unit in forsale section.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:00 AM   #31

Trailer: 1974 Ventura
I have one or two questions regarding the photo's posted a week back by BLMcClur. Those FGRV's in front of that building all white with white TV's, was there a meet happening? Personally I have never experienced that kind of camping with concrete pads for each rig, and without privacy. I have led a sheltered life some would already say. Bonnie. I know, I know I already live in the boon docks
bonnie w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 11:48 AM   #32

Yes it was the Matagorda Island gathering. A brand new LCRA park on the river where the Colorado dumps into the Gulf. If you look past the building in that picture you can barely see the beach. Click on the underlined links.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:14 PM   #33

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scamp 19 foot
Florida
Bonnie,

There is a 5th wheel in Salt Springs, FL. It is in great condition.
2004 19 ft Scamp 5th wheel. Asking price $16,000.

Stored under cover - Price includes Sunbrella Custom made cover with tire covers
Birch cabinets with all the extra cabinets & reading lights.
Ceiling vent Fan - Roof Air & Gas Heater
2 burner gas stove - No oven (extra storage)
Largest Refrigertor, Bath, & Shower available
Awning .V. Antennae & Cable Ready

Contact Bess Brack
Cell 352-213-3675
Home 352-543-6071
or 352-685-2935

mimicedark@yahoo.com

Jack Vernezze ( fellow Scamp Owner International) #99
[/quote]
JackV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:00 AM   #34

Name: James
Trailer: Scamp 5th wheel 1994/Ram 1500 2004 2 wheel drive
South Dakota
Hitch height on 5th wheel scamp

I just bought a 1994 5th wheel Scamp with 13 inch wheels and no lift. Does anyone know how high it is from the ground to the hitch, the hitch height? I called the factory in Minnesota and they did not know, the guy in service just got frustrated by the question?
Jamesbucklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:51 AM   #35

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
We towed our Scamp fifth wheel for eleven years with a Tacoma six cylinder (3.4 liter). It did ok and returned 16 to 18 mpg while towing. We now have the Nissan Frontier also a six cylinder, but a 4 liter (same size as the newer Tacomas). Power is even less of an issue, however fuel economy now ranges from 12 to 16 mpg while towing. I would never hesitate to pull a 19' Scamp with any 6 cylinder mid sized truck.

Tags
scamp