Seeking Fiamma Awning Feedback - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2018, 08:49 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Registry
Seeking Fiamma Awning Feedback

How do you like your Fiamma awning? Any pros or cons?

We have an older 98 Scamp 16 that came with the Catalina awning which was damaged last summer while we were setting up camp. We hadn't had a chance to stake down the legs when a gust of wind blew it up and over the trailer. The legs and frame were bent and parts that connect the frame to the inside of the case were broken. I had hoped I could fix it but it's beyond repair.

We're thinking about having Scamp replace it with a new Fiamma F45 S. I've read on the forum where a few others have done this and I'm wondering how people like theirs. Are they easier to set up and take down? We saw one in a campground once and there were three people (two owners and a helper) trying to set it up which would lead one to think it wasn't easy to use but it appeared this was their first time camping with their brand new Scamp.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:38 AM   #2
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
We had the Fiamma on our Casita, and I loved it. Set it up by myself most of the time. I can't compare it to the Catalina, but it was a vast improvement over the "bag awnings" that some of the earlier, small molded fiberglass trailers used.

One thing I liked about the Fiamma was it's a case awning: when it's all rolled up it's protected by an aluminum case, so the fabric isn't out in the sun. The end caps, however, are out in the sun, and we did have to replace those after a dozen or so years - but even that could've been avoided if we had painted those caps before they had a chance to deteriorate.

Good luck with it, and YMMV.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:46 AM   #3

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
When you take the legs out of their storage clip, you need to pull them out an inch or so from the knuckles or they will break if you try to force them down. Hard to describe. You have to pull the leg out and down. If you don't pull it out, it will pop part of it off. I am ordering two more today. I will try to post a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0462.jpg  
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:46 AM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Especially being from the Midwest, save the legs and rafters and bring them to ScampCamps this summer. There are lots of Catalina 2500 awnings, some with damage less serious than yours. Their owners would be hugely grateful for the parts to make repairs.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:33 AM   #5

We have this awning on our ParkLiner.
It is very easy to set up and stow, but you do have to follow specific steps.
The best feature is the crank out/in; makes it a one person job.
A couple of cautions printed in the user's manual:
It says, "Not for use in rain or wind" … well, that shoots it!
But if you add sturdy tie down ropes, and don't roll it up wet, you should be OK.
If you do roll it up wet, just remember to open and dry at the earliest opportunity.
I still need to figure out a way to seal the gap between the case and trailer shell.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:39 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
The Fiamma awning on our 19 year old Casita works great.
But as dmad1 says don't force it!!
When I was looking to buy it the former owner was showing me how to open it up and was very quickly going to break the part in dmad1 picture's before I took control.
It's not hard to set up and I do it alone. The only time I solicit help is when the wind starts up and I need to take it down.

And as Mary F says paint the end caps.

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:03 AM   #7

Name: J Ronald
Trailer: Casita 17 ft. Liberty Deluxe
North Carolina
Awning gap.

Instead of trying to seal the gap between awning and trailer use a gutter. Peal and stick gutter in this area works very well. It will run over in heavy rain but is easy to install and handles most rains.
J Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:59 AM   #8

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Ron View Post
Instead of trying to seal the gap between awning and trailer use a gutter. Peal and stick gutter in this area works very well. It will run over in heavy rain but is easy to install and handles most rains.
This kind glued gutter could do the job.
There is another similar model I found at a trailer seller and I installed around two of my windows

Drip Rail | Plastic Trim | Edge Trim | Trim | Trimco | Edge Trim, Plastic Edge Trims, Rubber Edge Trims,
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:24 AM   #9

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
If you want to keep a gap for the wind to blow through why not use an awning rail to hold a rubber flap against the box the awning is in. When it rains, the water doesn't get through and when the wind blows underneath the awning there is a place for some of it to be released.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:34 AM   #10

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdhanso View Post
How do you like your Fiamma awning? Any pros or cons?
We have the Fiamma on our 13' scamp (installed by scamp when we purchased it) and love it. It has performed flawlessly for our four years of ownership. We use it often and it is very quick and easy to deploy. We'll put it out for some shade for even a brief lunch stop at a highway rest stop. As with any awning I wouldn't leave it deployed in windy conditions without tying it down and if rainy we tip one end a bit lower to prevent pooling. Despite their instruction book CYA warning about wind and rain, I don't think it is any more vulnerable than other types of awnings.

The only con for me is the appearance - it disturbs the aesthetics of the 13' scamp's otherwise lovely shape. But for us, function prevails on this one.
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:50 AM   #11

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDavidG View Post

The only con for me is the appearance - it disturbs the aesthetics of the 13' scamp's otherwise lovely shape. But for us, function prevails on this one.
Shady Boy is a nice option for small trailers.

Shady Boy Trailer Awnings – Parts Made in USA – Assembled in Canada – Wolf Design
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Ron View Post
Hmmm! I could try that. Would you put the gutter above or below the awning case? WE want to be able to sit out when it's raining, and not have drips or drops falling through the gap.

With our Scamp, before, I squeezed a length of clear vinyl tubing between the case and the roof. That gap was nearly uniform from from to back. But this Parkliner's roof has more curve, the gap is much greater at the ends than in the middle.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:39 PM   #13

Registry
Thanks everyone for the feedback. It’s good knowing that those Fiamma owners that have responded so far are happy with them.

Tags
awning