Self Leveling Wheel Chocks - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2015, 04:15 PM   #21

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
For what it's worth: "Motor" and "engine" later came to be used interchangeably in casual discourse. However, technically, the two words have different meanings. An engine is a device that burns or otherwise consumes fuel, changing its chemical composition, whereas a motor is a device driven by electricity, air, or hydraulic pressure, which does not change the chemical composition of its energy source.
All of which is sorta irrelevant since I was only referring to a private joke between Lyndon and me in order to get him to respond to the post.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 04:26 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Are you supposed to post private jokes on a public forum?
Mine was a joke too, but not private.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:34 PM   #23

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
For what it's worth: "Motor" and "engine" later came to be used interchangeably in casual discourse. However, technically, the two words have different meanings. An engine is a device that burns or otherwise consumes fuel, changing its chemical composition, whereas a motor is a device driven by electricity, air, or hydraulic pressure, which does not change the chemical composition of its energy source.
I tend to disagree. Simply search "motor definition" and you will find:

"mo·tor
ˈmōdər
/
noun
a machine, especially one powered by electricity or internal combustion, that supplies motive power for a vehicle or for some other device with moving parts."
and
[moh-ter]
Spell Syllables
Examples Word Origin
noun
a comparatively small and powerful engine, especially an internal-combustion engine in an automobile, motorboat, or the like.
any self-powered vehicle.
I emphasize this last line in bold because it demonstrates the "fluidity" of words in our English language. "Motor" is not only the device which propels the vehicle, it can also be the vehicle itself.

Hubby's dealership in 60's and early 70's was known as "Hanford Motors." They primarily sold Volvo, but also had other automobiles.

"Hanford Engines" would have had a definitely different interpretation for the business.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:44 PM   #24

I don't think you can 'tend' to disagree since what the Wiki entry said is: "Motor" and "engine" later came to be used interchangeably in casual discourse".
I would think you either agree or disagree, but can't tend to disagree.
In any event, you would be disagreeing with yourself.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:53 PM   #25

CA
Quote:

In any event, you would be disagreeing with yourself.
I tend to disagree with this comment.

Which is to say, I prefer not to jump down your throat (at the moment), but my inclination could go in that direction. "Tending" to disagree may simply be a "kinder and gentler" method of entering into the discussion and presenting an opposite view, without hostility.

I could go deeper into the debate and present more research, but it really isn't worth the time or energy, is it?
Old 09-25-2015, 04:55 PM   #26

Nope.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:05 PM   #27

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Meanwhile, back on topic...... I used scrap wood for the first year to level our Scamp but recently bought a set of the yellow plastic blocks and a couple of wheel chocks as well. I have not used them yet but expect to like them. I should say that our last two trips I used every piece of wood I had to level up. Wood under both rear stabilizers and one wheel took a lot. I will still take all my wood but it will be for backup.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:01 PM   #28

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
I made a wooden one that looks like an Anderson leveler and it works pretty good.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01033.JPG  
Old 09-25-2015, 06:13 PM   #29

Name: Tom
Trailer: Casita SD 17'
Alabama
I used a BAL LEVELER that stripped out the screw device after a dozen or so lifts. A better sutio for me is ANDERSON LEVELERS that lift on a rocker type lift when the camper is pulled or backed onto it. Max lift is 4 inches. The cost is a fraction of the BAL.
Tedus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:44 PM   #30

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I've used the original BAL leveler I purchased 10 years ago... and now have another because I have two tires to lift.

I think you'd be satisfied with anything from wood to lego blocks to the Anderson to the BAL depending on YOUR needs.

I've only read one post where there was problems with the Anderson on tandem axles, it slipped and jammed between the wheels. Some OOOPF and a crow bar solved the issue.

BTW: PLUS, the tail needs to be shortened... depending on the distance between the wheels of a tandem axle.

But, since most all-molded-towables are single axle, this may not be an issue.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:57 PM   #31

Registry
Quote:
Are you supposed to post private jokes on a public forum?
Mine was a joke too, but not private.
Yup! but only when its appropriate or when I want to!
Old 09-25-2015, 09:03 PM   #32

Registry
Quote:
We seldom have "casual discourse" with the DMV!
Old 09-25-2015, 09:07 PM   #33

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Dick & Joanne
I like the BAL, but I went to the Anderson just because it is easier to store. Works well except for one site this summer which was so soft that the levelers sank in to the ground and I ended up using the lynx blocks.

Dick
Dick & Joanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:36 AM   #34

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
I created my own leveling system that is both cost effective and simple.
I built a simple wedge that is about 18 inches long out of 2X4 material by laminating several of these wedge slices together with both contact cement and screws. I place a 4 foot plank on this ramp of 2X4s and pull the trailers wheels up this ramp until the unit is level (right to left). The farther up this ramp I go the higher the low side goes up. Between the 2X4 ramp and the plank I can get a rise of about 5 inches maximum. I used scrap lumber to built it. It takes up very little space when traveling.

Happy Camping!
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 11:12 AM   #35

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Looks very professional Lee. If I had a 3D printer, I'd like to try and print a couple of sets of the Andersons. Shouldnt be too difficult other than have a "printer" with a large enough plate.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 11:14 AM   #36

Trailer: Escape
Anderson levelers

Has anybody used Anderson levelers? I have been thinking about purchasing some. Check out the youtube video.

Grant Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 12:05 PM   #37

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Allen View Post
Has anybody used Anderson levelers? I have been thinking about purchasing some. Check out the youtube video.
That's most of what this thread is about... starting at post #3
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 02:01 PM   #38

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I've been using the Anderson Leveler for hundreds of set ups & love it. Very fast to level the trailer, and handy when setting up solo.

I've only had two situations where it didn't work - one when the necessary lift was more than the 4" it provides, and the other on a sloped, wet grass - it slid as I backed on to it rather than elevated the wheel. In both cases I resorted to leg blocks.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 02:32 PM   #39

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Had the Andersen levelers since day one. They work well, although there are cheaper alternatives.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1443299505.284783.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	89213

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 09-26-2015, 03:47 PM   #40

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captleemo View Post
I made a wooden one that looks like an Anderson leveler and it works pretty good.
Lee, this looks great! I'd love to make one if I had the proper tools. A real advantage to making your own, IMHO, is that you could modify a bit if you wish. For instance, continuing the curve a bit so you can gain more than 4 inches. Bravo!