Self Leveling Wheel Chocks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2015, 06:01 PM   #1

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
Self Leveling Wheel Chocks

Does anyone use self-leveling wheel chocks with their 13' Scamp? If yes, what is your brand preference?

Or is a 2x6 scrap of lumber (or two) sufficient for leveling the trailer? I'm preparing for my new Scamp, to be ready next April.

Peg
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:05 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I don't use either. A BAL Wheel Leveler is the best thing going in my humble opinion. Easy to use, fully variable.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:31 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I don't use either. A BAL Wheel Leveler is the best thing going in my humble opinion. Easy to use, fully variable.
I used one on my Scamp and now two on Ten Forward!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:38 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I used a BAL on my Scamp and now use it on my Casita . I think it holds the trailer in place
more securely than chocks .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:44 PM   #5

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Right now I just have regular yellow chocks and some stacks of leveler blocks, but I'm really enchanted with the concept of these "Innovative Camper Levelers" someone posted about the other day.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:51 PM   #6
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
One more vote for the Bal leveler! Quick and easy. BTW, I tried the insulated pizza bag to transport it. I never really found a proper fit. I use a padded zippered garment bag I got at GW. Easy in easy out and when folded in half its a perfect fit! It even has a exterior zippered pocket for the ratchet.
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:54 PM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
Right now I just have regular yellow chocks and some stacks of leveler blocks, but I'm really enchanted with the concept of these "Innovative Camper Levelers" someone posted about the other day.
Lyndon Laney has developed a system somewhat similar to the one you mentioned above and it works very well, if he reads this perhaps he will post a picture. They can easily be made at home from scrap material.

What sort of MOTOR do you have in your TV?... There now I know he won't be able to resist responding to this post!
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:41 PM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
The Innovation Camper Levels are awesome & easy to use. I had a bad experience with a trailer slipping off of wet wood so would use plastic levelling blocks before using wood. A bag them comes in handy for many thing - including putting under the stabilizer and tongue jack.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:10 PM   #9

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Lyndon Laney has developed a system somewhat similar to the one you mentioned above and it works very well, if he reads this perhaps he will post a picture. They can easily be made at home from scrap material.

What sort of MOTOR do you have in your TV?... There now I know he won't be able to resist responding to this post!
LOL, MOTOR MOTOR MOTOR!
Old 09-24-2015, 10:14 PM   #10

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
The Innovation Camper Levels are awesome & easy to use. I had a bad experience with a trailer slipping off of wet wood so would use plastic levelling blocks before using wood. A bag them comes in handy for many thing - including putting under the stabilizer and tongue jack.
On our recent trip at a primitive site, the trailer went in completely *LEVEL*, believe it or not. But our two bags of leveling blocks all got used... to level and stabilize our fold up picnic table and kitchen setup. I'm glad we had them -- otherwise any outdoor stuff would have been almost impossible.
Old 09-25-2015, 12:22 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
LOL, MOTOR MOTOR MOTOR!
For what it's worth: "Motor" and "engine" later came to be used interchangeably in casual discourse. However, technically, the two words have different meanings. An engine is a device that burns or otherwise consumes fuel, changing its chemical composition, whereas a motor is a device driven by electricity, air, or hydraulic pressure, which does not change the chemical composition of its energy source.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:03 AM   #12

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Glenn you are totally right but as in everything, some things kind of morph over time. But if you and I were looking under the hood and said motor the difference wouldn't even be thought of .
I'm still trying to figure out this hashtag thing and what it's even good for. Sure looks like a pound sign or tic tac toe to me. Dang I'm getting old .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:11 AM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Dunno how OP's original post turned into looking under the hood...

But BALs wont work for me. I camp at alot of places that have a concrete patio. I love to back my trailer with the wheels nearly touching and not have a gap to step into. So a Bal wouldnt work there.

I use the "LEGO" blocks...the yellow stacking blocks that are kept in a vinyl bag. MOST of the time, it only requires 1 block to level! IF two is required, I simply lay another in front and can use them to "stair-step" so backing or pulling the Scamp upon them is easy. I also will place extras in front and back of the wheel if necessary to have somewhere to lay the "chocks".
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:18 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Referring back to the OP, what are "self-leveling" chocks?
Old 09-25-2015, 09:25 AM   #15

These come to mind to being as close to "self-leveling" as I can think of. Technically, the ONLY "self-leveling" would be the motor homes and/or trailers that have self-leveling features built in.

Anyway, here's my thought of a "manual" self-leveling chock. What do yall think? (I actually like this...just too tight to invest in them )

http://www.amazon.com/Andersen-Mfg-3...s_8522943011_5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Referring back to the OP, what are "self-leveling" chocks?
Old 09-25-2015, 09:26 AM   #16

Name: Dawn
New York
Registry
We recently purchased an Anderson leveler chock for our 16ft Scamp & it works wonderfully! You only need 1 per axle. It will "only" give you max 4in of lift, but I think they have another model for a few more bucks with a couple more inches. Highly recommend it!
NedMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:21 AM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Dunno how OP's original post turned into looking under the hood...

But BALs wont work for me. I camp at alot of places that have a concrete patio. I love to back my trailer with the wheels nearly touching and not have a gap to step into. So a Bal wouldnt work there.

I use the "LEGO" blocks...the yellow stacking blocks that are kept in a vinyl bag. MOST of the time, it only requires 1 block to level! IF two is required, I simply lay another in front and can use them to "stair-step" so backing or pulling the Scamp upon them is easy. I also will place extras in front and back of the wheel if necessary to have somewhere to lay the "chocks".
FYI --- The BAL wheel leveler takes about 3" from the edge of the tire to the edge of a concrete pad. That's all. It also is the chocking mechanism around. The tire is captured between the plates and can't go anyplace. No backing or pulling forward to drive up on blocks. Easy to fine turn leveling. No slipping off blocks.
Old 09-25-2015, 01:47 PM   #18

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I use the plastic Leggo type leveling blocks. I carry 2 bags of them. Some I use under the tire to level and some I can use under the stabilizer feet or front jack if need be. I usually find myself camping off pavement on uneven ground.

Swing your front jack down and place a measured stack of blocks under neath and you will do a whole lot less cranking.

If you use a pop-up type awning, you can stack some under the awning legs by the trailer and now the awning clears the door.

The blocks are light and easy to store and can be used in other places. It makes them very versatile. They come 10 pieces to the bag.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 01:57 PM   #19

Steve, I've only got one bag and have found them to be plenty...but I'm not an "off road" man so more may be required for stacking. I also like to use them under my stabilizer jacks, front jack etc.

FWIW, some use the ones that are "hollow" or you can see through. I would NOT want these as they're much easier to disappear into muddy ground!!

So, here's my opinion:
GO: (these are the ones I use...go lucky got them from a couple for $15)
RV Leveling Blocks, 10 pack - Cp Technologies Company RKCW819010 - Chocks & Levelers - Camping World

NO-GO:
Lynxlevelers RV Leveling Kit - Walmart.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
I use the plastic Leggo type leveling blocks. I carry 2 bags of them. Some I use under the tire to level and some I can use under the stabilizer feet or front jack if need be. I usually find myself camping off pavement on uneven ground.

Swing your front jack down and place a measured stack of blocks under neath and you will do a whole lot less cranking.

If you use a pop-up type awning, you can stack some under the awning legs by the trailer and now the awning clears the door.

The blocks are light and easy to store and can be used in other places. It makes them very versatile. They come 10 pieces to the bag.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:24 PM   #20

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner 2016 Honda Pilot
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
The Innovation Camper Levels are awesome & easy to use. ...
I agree. Very easy, very compact. -- Anne
neparker is offline   Reply With Quote