Selling privately to out-of-state buyers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2017, 09:31 AM   #1

Name: Bonnie
Trailer: Born Free
Virginia
Selling privately to out-of-state buyers

I want to buy a Fiberglass TT, and have a buyer for my fiberglass Born Free coach. However, the buyer lives in CT, and I am in VA. They want to register the coach in FL. They called Virginia DMV "We were told we can get a 3 day trip permit if we are VA residents and planning to register the car in VA. A VA. car dealer can get a 30 day temporary plate until the vehicle is registered in VA. We are at a loss as to how we would legally drive the RV to Florida. If you have any suggestions or knowledge of another way of getting a temporary 30 day plate, please let us know. VA. requires you to be a resident in order to register a vehicle."
Has anyone in VA (or any other state) sold a vehicle privately to an out-of-state buyer? What do you do?

Bonnie
corgicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:11 AM   #2

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Boler 1700
Michigan
We've always driven home with bill of sale, and signed registration, and import document once we crossed the border. We have purchased in Manitoba and Ontario. We have driven home through Manitoba, Ontario, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan.

from michigan.gov

"You do not need a license plate to drive a newly purchased vehicle directly home within Michigan within three days of purchase. Carry the assigned title and proof of insurance with you. Never use a plate from another vehicle as a substitute."

I don't know what other states require.
Lisa in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 02:09 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
As I understand it your in VA, the Seller is in CT and they want to register it in Florida?
I live in Ohio and bought my Casita in Pa. The seller and I went to a trailer place and they issued me a cardboard Pa temporary 30 day tag after my name and address on the Pa title as the buyer, notarized the seller's signature and I was off.
In Ohio I took the trailer and Pa title to the DMV place and they verified the serial number, lights worked and gave me a form I took to the county registrar, paid Ohio sales tax and they issued me a Ohio title. Then I bought Ohio Tags. My Ohio title lists the PA seller as the former owner and the previous Pa title number.

Now in your case I have several questions. Why are you driving it to Florida instead of the buyer? And why/how do the Ct buyers expect to register it in Florida unless they are Florida residents.
One solution is before any paperwork is done YOU drive it to Florida with your tags and then sign the title over to them and let them deal with it.

Your going out of your way on this transaction.

In Ohio and and at least Pa once the title is signed over to the buyer by the seller you can apply for a temporary tag as I did.
Virginia License Plates & Placards Information | DMV.org

If the buyer involves Ct then Ct is definitely going to want sales tax or what ever tax applies to vehicles.
I "assume" Florida is going to want a verifiable Florida address.
However when I closed my Dad's estate in Florida it was super easy for me to sign the title over to the buyer with my power of attorney.

Might help if you personally go to your DMV and ask. At the link above it says "dealer will issue a 30 day tag". Know any friendly dealers?

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 02:52 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I take it that Bonnie is selling a Born Free motorhome. So before it can be driven anywhere it has to have insurance coverage. The buyer probably wants to register it in Florida because Connecticut charges a yearly excise tax on vehicles. Unless Bonnie drives it to Florida, I would think it's the buyers problem. Maybe they can register it online if they have all the paperwork, or have a relative or friend in Florida register it (can't do that in NY), or when they get to Florida register it themselves and then figure out how to get it or have it delivered by a private carrier or driver (Uship). And probably the buyer isn't going to Florida until winter. Some of these type deals aren't worth the hassle, best off dealing with someone local in person. Which brings up the caution of, make sure they are not scamming you by some odd payment method.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:03 PM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Buyers need to check with THEIR local DMV and find out what documentation is required. In my case, in NC, they go with whatever is required in the seller's state. So I bought a truck in TN, TN rules applied. My camper came from KY, so KY rules applied. But every state is different. Buyer needs to do the legwork to find out what they will need.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:47 AM   #6

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
I always got what is called a transport plate here in Maine.
Got it at my own town office and had to just report Date to be moved and Rt. to be take. Even over state lines.
I've had seasonal work campers who would register their trailers for a whole year and just move them from home to camp and back again at the end of the season and I told them to just get the transport plate at a cost of $20 and now they all do that.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 11:17 AM   #7

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Of course it is the buyer's responsibility. But it is reasonable to help complete a sale. Why Fla.? Plates are almost certainly less, probably far less. Yes, a residence would be needed. That's not the question here.

I skimmed most everything, but didn't see mention of contacting Fla's DMV. I would suggest that. I would not expect CT to offer any assistance. VA might help if you show up in person. Check first.

PS, it sounds like a VA dealer could do it, if someone made it worthwhile.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:42 AM   #8

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Bonnie,

Take the buyer's money, give the buyer's a signed & dated title, a bill of sale including exact time of day & date on the bill of sale at which the transaction occurred and send em on their way!!!

It's their problem not yours where they register the coach and how they choose to transport the trailer away from your residence.

Make copies of the signed title and bill of sale for your records. Including the "exact time of day" the sale occurred on the bill of sale just confirms when the trailer become the property of the new owner/buyer just in case "they" get into an accident causing personal or property damage after they leave your premisis. This way you can prove that the trailer was no longer your property at the time of the buyer's accident and therefore you no longer have an "interest" in the trailer.

Insurance? Not your problem!

In most states the the buyer cannot buy an individual liability insurance policy for a none motorized trailer as the liability insurance coverage on their tow vehicle "extends" to the trailer when they are connected to provide liability coverage for the complete and connected unit when driving down the road. If the buyer wants Comprehensive and/or Collision insurance to cover any loss to "their" new to them trailer that's up to them to purchase as their is no requirement for these coverage's. Insurance coverage on the trailer is not your problem once the sale/transaction is complete!

If the buyer wants your trailer let them figure out the answers to all their own problems they choose to create concerning transport and registration after their purchase of your trailer!

After all this buyer is the one living in Connecticut, wanting to buy a trailer in Virginia and wanting to transport and register the trailer in Florida!! Let them figure it out.

As always if you are not comfortable with the proposed deal tell the buyer to pound sand and move on as there are LOT'S of buyer's right now ready and willing to step up and buy a nice used "Egg" trailer. You don't need to put up with a bunch of buyer problems to sell your trailer.

It's a SELLER'S MARKET!!!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:06 AM   #9

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Not my problem!

Let me guess that you don't work in sales.

If you read the first post, the item being sold is a "Born Free coach" which I take to be a motor home. It may not be a seller's market for those.

Let's suppose the Connecticut buyer is paying a nice premium, perhaps top dollar for the motor home. What if they offer you $1,000, $5,000 or even $10,000 more than you expected? I know not likely, but it happens, and I am trying to make a point.

Or, Let's say it is a motor home, maybe stick built, that doesn't enjoy the resale popularity of a two-year old Scamp or Casita? Maybe it has been for sale since Easter.

Are you sure you want to tell them, "Not my problem?" You might lose your buyer, then it would be your problem.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:08 AM   #10

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
Are you sure you want to tell them, "Not my problem?"
Yes!

If a buyer is unwilling (we know their not unable) to figure out these issues/problems associated with a long distance purchase they should NOT be looking at, calling on and considering purchasing items 100's-1,000's of miles away from them.

They should shop local!!!

I had the same issues with a very neat Vintage Race Car Hauler I owned. I advertised the car hauler for sale LOCALLY only with 1 local ad. I had calls from all over the country interested in purchased the truck. How the hell they all found my ad I have no clue!

With only 1 local exception ALL the rest of 50+ callers on my local ad were 500-2000 miles away. They all want the hauler to haul their vintage race car HOWEVER they all have the same question. How in the hell am I going to get that 33 ft long 1974 crew cab vintage race car hauler home? Drive it, haul it, ship, burn it after they make the purchase it's not my problem what they do with it!

They ALL knew where the truck was located BEFORE they called and if they don't have time, knowledge or resources to complete a long distance purchase of a very LARGE item they should not be shopping a long way away from their place of residence.

Just my opinion and yes I know it's rather brash and abrupt HOWEVER you can spend a lot time, money and effort to "accommodate" these long distance buyers with no results. IF a long distance buyer is truly interested in your item for sale they will come and look in person at the item or make a long distance purchase without coming to look all the while fully understanding the issues associated with moving the item.

Besides if you are not able to sell your item locally the reality is that your item is probably overpriced and that's the real reason why you have not sold it yet!

Yes you are correct the OP did state the "Born Free" is a coach.

MY mistake!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 03:38 PM   #11

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I live in Virginia and sold a car to someone in Florida. We went to the DMV in Virginia and purchased the 3 day permit. I got my money and he left.

It is that simple.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote