Several questions about Bigfoot 25B25RQ/RT - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2019, 01:47 PM   #1

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Pennsylvania
Several questions about Bigfoot 25B25RQ/RT

I'm currently thinking of getting a 25B25RT and have a few questions for current owners.

I have heard that the sewer connection is hard to reach and you have to lay down on the ground to connect your sewer hose. Is it really that hard to reach? I don't really want to do that at a dump station!

Where is the converter and fuse/ breaker panel located? I want to be able to add an inverter and possibly upgrade the converter if it is not a multi stage charger that is compatible with lithium batteries.

I wan to add a good surge protector/ Power management device. Is there a good location to add this (possible near the breaker panel/power converter)?

Is Solar Prep available as an option (Just the wiring from somewhere accessible to the roof)? Is the wiring done with heavy enough wire to support several panels?

I'm sure I have more questions but this is a start.

Thanks in advance,
Pat
Jpatrickc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 10:30 AM   #2

Name: Karen
Trailer: Big Foot
Michigan
Hello Pat, we purchased your named Bigfoot this past June. We have had no issues reaching the sewer connection. We do use a pad for our knee but by no means need to lay on the ground to hook it up

The converter is located under the driver side dinette bench, right next to the refrigerator. The fuse panel is just to the left of this If you want pictures, just let me know. We added an inverter just to the right on the converter, (GoPower 2000 watt). There is room, but not much.

We use the outside surge protector as there is not much room in the area you reference.

Solar is available. To keep it simple we ordered the 260 Watt as well as an additional 100W panels and had them all installed with the read-out panel.

You are welcome to IM me for any more details. Happy to help
Karen in CO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 11:56 AM   #3

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
I bought a 2019 BF 25RQ in Feb 2019 and have hauled it about 8k miles last camping season, all in about 3 months of solid camping.

You may want to go to the Big Foot Forum and see my writeup and that of other folks who own a BF.

Good solid trailer to be sure, you will like it. But it is not perfect.

My does have a 4 stage converter. I also have the onboard Onan generator. I also use the outside surge protector. I bought the inside one but then sent it back for this one: Portable EMS-PT30X RV Surge Protector. It would have been very cramped where I was looking to install it inside. It was then I realized that sometimes these things can fail, or maybe just do it's job but melt from a lightening strike, strong surge, etc. Think about that. Do you want this ting to melt inside your trailer? Why not play safe and just use the outside one. It also relays a lot of information so I think it is also more useful being outside.

I may just try to copy and paste here, but it is a bit long so it may not paste well
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 11:59 AM   #4

Tennessee
Ok here it is, from BF Forum:
I purchased a new 2019 BF25RQ with the cargo box in front, off the lot. The following are things you may want to consider if ordering a new trailer. These are items you may want to have added to the trailer, and areas to inspect when the new unit is delivered. I am not certain the Company will do the requested changes, but it wouldn’t hurt to ask. My experience RVing: The BF is my second trailer, the first being a Casita. I have been RVing about 4 years, 30K + miles, and about 300+ nights.
More electrical outlets are needed. I don’t much like having the electrical outlet on the underside of the cabinet over the dining room table, but I do use it. I just don’t like all the wires hanging down. I would leave what is there, but ask for additional outlets over the front passenger side window. There is a small shelf over this window and the cabinet seems to have a surface that would be ideal for an additional 15 amp duplex or quadplex outlet, possible with USB ports. Another place is in the front passenger side corner or on the bench in that corner. The kitchen area needs another 15 amp duplex, located beside the one that is already there would be acceptable, or change that duplex to a quadplex. Also an additional duplex outlet mounted on the wall between the bathroom and the bedroom. Also additional 15 amp outlet could be put under the table on the bench seat. The bathroom also needs another duplex, or change the duplex to a quadplex. Note: the GFCI receptacle is located under the bathroom cabinet in my unit.
The windows are double pane, but if possible, try to upgrade. Check the sliding rubber seal when the windows are open. The rubber gasket does not seem to touch the glass when open and even large insects just crawl right in, I have actually watched them do this. Not sure how to check this because it is difficult to see if the rubber sweep actually touches the window.
I really like the well built and beautiful cargo box, but it has shortcomings. Due to the curves and angles it does not hold as much as it could. Also the propane/battery compartment is molded into the cargo box. I find it difficult to extract the propane bottles, and adding another battery will make the area even more crowded. So consider doing this: Get the extended tongue but add your own aluminum diamond plate boxes and cover the propane bottles with a vinyl cover. Should be much easier to remove the propane bottles and battery.
If #3 is done, then consider putting a generator in the middle between two cargo boxes. I suggest a gas powered 3K or 7.5K Honda generator, hardwired into the trailer, such that the start switch would remain where it currently is on a generator ready trailer, that is, inside. I have the Cummins Onan 2.5K LP generator. It is too small and because it is LP is further reduced in power output. It also sucks down LP like you would not believe. We prefer to be able to run a number of different appliances at the same time, which cannot be done with the Cummins Onan. But it is very convenient to be able to start and run the generator from inside the trailer. I prefer gas over LP because it is much easier to obtain gas and produces more energy. Also it is a pain to slide under the trailer to service the Cummins Onan.
Have the outside 30 amp receptacle upgraded to a stainless steel receptacle. I am always worried the plastic threads will strip when screwing on the electrical cord.
Try to have the axle covers on the wheels replaced with covers that have a covered hole so the Dexter EZ lube axles can be lubricated without having to take the wheels off. I know some people will say you should take the wheel off, punch the bearings out, then lube by hand. But Dexter says to just rotate and squirt grease in through the zert. This is how Dexter designed the bearing to be lubricated, just read the manual. I am not trying to start an argument, so do it which ever way you prefer.
I had a flat tire this past camping season. I change my own tires, although I have the roadside service available. I do it myself because I don’t want to wait for hours for the service guy to show up. It really is not that hard to do yourself. I mention this because that fiberglass cover on the spare tire is a real bear to take off and put back on. Try to get the company to keep the fiberglass cover and give you a vinyl cover for the spare tire.
The screen door does not seal properly at the bottom corners. I don’t like sitting inside, door open, screen door closed, but be able to see straight outside in the corners. The gap in these corners are big enough to allow a large snake or a small rat in. I have tried to fix this but nothing really has worked, so I continue to experiment.
Try to get the company to put a strut on the top of the door as well as having the one at the bottom. Or maybe just a strap. I have not had the door blow off, but the winds are really strong in the midwest. It is bound to happen sooner or later.
Do you really need an awning? I have one but use my Clam shelter much more often.
Try to get an upgrade to the bathroom shower faucet. This is just a cheap and badly mounted fixture.
Outside shower fixture is also cheap and the hose crimps when stored. I installed these in my Casita and will install in my BF when I get up the nerve (Amazon): Phoenix Valterra Plastic Dual Handle 4" Faucet with Quick Connect, white. I may try to install this in the shower also, so you only need one long hose that can be used inside and outside. Best to have the company install these if possible.
Have the bathroom fan replaced with a Fantastic fan. And have Maxxair covers installed for both fan units on the trailer.
Try to get the company to install electrical heat tapes in the spaces with water pipes and black and grey tanks. This would allow you to plug into electric at home and maybe not have to blow out the water lines and fill with RV antifreeze when stored for the winter. It takes me forever to get that pink antifreeze taste out of my waterlines.
Try to get the company to place the springs on top of the axle, to give a bit more clearance.
Have solar panels installed, enough so that the Cummins Onan generator will not be needed to keep the battery charged. But I like having a generator and will so have both.
Have a back up camera installed by the company.
Take off the tail light lens covers and check to make sure the hole the wires run through and into the trailer are filled with sealant; one of mine had no sealant at all. These lights and all the marker lights leak. I drilled holes in the bottom of the tail lights to have the water drain out. Every light I have gets condensation inside, while the tail lights actually almost completely fill with water in a severe rain storm.
The 25R needs to be 50 amp, with two 11k AC units, preferable ducted, but at least two AC units. I know some people will say this is a well insulated unit and one 11K AC is enough. Maybe in the northern part of the US but if you go to the eastern Texas and SE states in the summer, with temps around 100º with 100% humidity, one 11K AC does not cut it. It takes hours for my trailer to cool down to the point where I sweat cupfuls rather than buckets. That is, still sweat. This will also allow what ever electric appliance you may want to run at the same time, instead of having to use only one appliance at a time. And yes, I have encountered 100% humidity and it not be raining.
Get a Tire Pressure Management System. Trust me on this. TST is a good one to consider.
Get a WDH. I use a Blue Ox, simple and easy to use. Note: While leaving the coupler attached to the truck, jack the hitch up. This will relieve most, but not all, the tension on the spring arms, thereby making the arms easier to release. Then lower the hitch and uncouple. I threw away the wrench that came with the Blue Ox and use a very long breaker bar and a six point 1" socket and 3/4" drive.
Old 12-18-2019, 12:00 PM   #5

Tennessee
I like my Big Foot. It is very solidly built. I much prefer fiberglass over stick built trailers, wether aluminum or filon. This was not meant to slam the product, but to provide insight into what a person might consider when ordering a new unit. More than likely they will have only minimal experience with the brand, and this was meant to highlight items that might be of benefit. All brands of RV's have issues and must be carefully inspected prior to accepting delivery, BF is not an exception.
Old 12-19-2019, 01:58 PM   #6

Pennsylvania
Thanks for all the replies. We really like the Bigfoot and now our mission is to see a 25RQ or 25RT in person so we can check out the construction and make sure it has enough room for us.
We live in Pennsylvania and it looks like the closest dealer is in Georgia so we need to see when they might have one on their lot try to plan a trip to see it.

Again thanks for answering all my questions,
Pat
Old 12-20-2019, 07:40 PM   #7

Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25FB trailer
If you are on Facebook there is a Bigfoot group, you might inquire if anyone in your area owns one like your looking for that would show it to you, could save a long drive. Good luck
Old 12-23-2019, 12:33 PM   #8

Name: Bruce & Kathryn
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
North Carolina
We have a 2018 25RQ in central NC. If you are in the RDU area anytime in the next 4 weeks, happy to show it to you. Bought ours through A&M, a Bigfoot dealer (mainly truck campers) in Kittrell NC.
Towed by 2018 Chevy High Country Duramax
Bruce Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 12:56 PM   #9

Pennsylvania
Thanks for the offer "Tomato Man". We won't be traveling until early April at the earliest, but I appreciate your offer to look at yours. We are still trying to decide what we want to do. I just hate to give up my 2 Lazyboy chairs in the living room 😢, but we would like something smaller and easier to maintain.

Pat
Old 12-24-2019, 01:23 AM   #10

Trailer: 1974 Boler and 1988 Bigfoot
Henry, I am still wondering why you bought a Bigfoot.
Rick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 01:53 AM   #11

Name: Russ
Trailer: 2020 25 RQ
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M View Post
Henry, I am still wondering why you bought a Bigfoot.
..cause as they say here in Scotland....everything else is “ crap”
Russ Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 03:59 AM   #12

Tennessee
Russ, Bingo.
Old 12-24-2019, 08:42 AM   #13

Trailer: 1974 Boler and 1988 Bigfoot
Not according to your Long Long write up in the Bigfoot Forum.
Rick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 09:14 AM   #14

Tennessee
Rick, what more can I say. Why are you calling me out on this. Whether I like it or why I bought it is none of your business.

My BF 25RQ has problems. But it has fewer problems than many other TT's we looked at, including Airstream. We actually went to buy an Airstream after having inspected many over the last two years. Each time we would inspect an AS we would find many issues, and each time the salesman would say all will be fixed after purchased. We have a Casita and have camped in it many nights. We like Fiberglass. When we saw the BF we carefully went through it 2x before we bought it. There were no obvious issues that we could identify straightaway. After we took it home and lived with it for awhile things popped up. So far I have handled most of these my self, no problem. But I do think a person who has never owned a BF or fiberglass trailer should inspect what they are going to purchase to the same degree that any other trailer should be inspected.
Old 12-24-2019, 09:57 AM   #15

Tennessee
Another issue with the BF has come up. The 12v outlets don't have power. The 12v light in the front worked when I first went in. I turned it off then walked to the back bedroom, and flipped the 12v reading light on. It flickered and went out and all the 12v lights, receptacle and radio went out. The 120v circuits have power. Not sure what to do at this point. If I can't get it fixed I will start a new thread later today.
Old 12-24-2019, 10:56 AM   #16

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Another issue with the BF has come up. The 12v outlets don't have power. The 12v light in the front worked when I first went in. I turned it off then walked to the back bedroom, and flipped the 12v reading light on. It flickered and went out and all the 12v lights, receptacle and radio went out. The 120v circuits have power. Not sure what to do at this point. If I can't get it fixed I will start a new thread later today.
Wiggle/reseat some fuses....
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 11:44 AM   #17

Tennessee
Thanks Jim. Yes it was a 15amp cabinet fuse which was obviously burned out. The entertainment fuse looked ok but the radio refused to turn on so I just changed it and now it too works. Now I am wondering what I did to blow the fuses.
Old 01-10-2020, 11:25 AM   #18

Name: Paul
Trailer: Bigfoot
--
Registry
Hello,

I am a longtime Bigfoot fan/owner having hauled a 17,21 and now the 25FQ. I am curious when I see folks exploring whether to purchase a 25' Bigfoot that the FQ seldom seem's to be under consideration. For me, not only is the overall layout more to my liking but it offers sofa seating along with the table seating. The second door beside the bed seemed odd when we first got this trailer but I have found it useful when sited for more than one night, certainly when I am going in and out and my wife is working in the kitchen.
Bigfootfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 03:54 PM   #19

Name: Russ
Trailer: 2020 25 RQ
British Columbia
With respect, since day one of owning Bigfoot trailers, there has never been any appeal to a front bed trailer. We much prefer the layout of the RQ and in particular, like the dinette positioned at the front of the trailer with plenty of light and window available.
Russ Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 04:16 PM   #20

Name: Paul
Trailer: Bigfoot
--
Registry
Well I don't agree with the question of preferable layout but I have to agree that there seems to be less desire for the FQ, as I see many more of the RQ than I do of the FQ's. While it may be less significant to others, the additional seating option as well as a third bed is what should be the appeal of a FQ for some. We downsized from a large A class and the idea of a move to only have the table to sit at ruled it out for us. There was a nice one located in Washington State with some excellent photo's of the interior. I thought it presented really well.
Bigfootfamily is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot