Shelf issue - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2016, 10:04 AM   #1

Name: Kyle
Trailer: '71 Boler
Texas
Shelf issue

OK, first I want to say I did a search and couldn't find ideas but I am sure that this has been discussed...

What do ya'll do to keep stuff from falling out/off of shelves? Here is my situation - the closet was converted by PO for a shelf based AC unit and now I have 3 useable shelves but can't figure out how to keep stuff there w/o it flying out during travel. The door has been removed by PO and given the AC I don't plan on putting a new one on. The stuff will be in baskets etc but how to keep the baskets from coming out...

TIA!
Attached Thumbnails
unnamed (1).jpg  
DrKyle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 10:24 AM   #2

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
Bungees can work.....

When I wanted to keep things in place in my little sailboat I used vertical bungees.

While it won't work for small stuff like canned goods and dinnerware it will work for items in storage bins.
Attached Thumbnails
bungees.jpg  
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 10:44 AM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp
Idaho
Registry
These might work for you:
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-44053-W.../dp/B000EDQR4Q
Gordon in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 11:03 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I think if you put a lip on each shelf, lay non-skid liner, and use bins or baskets, you should be fine. In fact, if that doesn't work, I'd want to investigate whether the axle might be worn out. One symptom of a dead axle is excessive bouncing.

Best if the bins fit together fairly closely on each shelf.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 01:01 PM   #5

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Hi---another solution involves using/sewing mesh fabric with either velcro or elastic loops to attach on either side. There are many mesh fabrics available at your local fabric store and it's easily sewn. It could even be hand-sewn. And customizable to your particular shelves/needs.

They are easily taken down upon setting up camp and quickly reattached for travel.

With ours, which are used to protect the open upper shelves from sending projectiles all around during travel, I am fortunate enough to have rat-fur to attach my velcro to.

Total cost of mine were less than $10 for 4, including the velcro.

Good luck.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 01:53 PM   #6

Name: Karin & Don
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13Ft
Maine
I think if it was mine, I would put one door over the top two shelves and another over the bottom shelf. (Assuming this wouldn't interfere with the ac) Neater than bungees, and who wants to show off the canned beans.
Kardon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 06:50 PM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Canned beans next to the air conditioner... sounds like a good excuse to say, "cool beans!"

I have never had a trailer that didn't bounce enough to cause problems with shelved items. I solved the problem by finding containers that would wedge into the space, making use of the cabinet's face frame (the lip around the sides) to keep them from coming out, and then I put my stuff into the containers. Here are photos (forgive the lack of fiberglass in these examples):

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0649.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	101314

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0653.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	101315

I'll admit that there were doors on these cabinets. But even without the doors these containers could not really bounce their way out because they were in there tight enough and there was just enough edge lip on both sides. Without the containers, I would occasionally have stuff push doors open. A loose gallon jug of water in a lower cabinet even knocked out the door's hinge screws one time.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 10:35 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Put some "L" shaped lips on the top of the shelves. Mount them with VHB tape if you don't want to screw them in. Email me through my website if you want me to send you a sketch of the concept.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 12:32 AM   #9

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Just make plywood doors for the sections that don't have the AC unit. Lowes will cut plywood to size for you as will most regular lumber yards. Sand, paint, install some hinges and catches.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 07:06 AM   #10

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
I have done what many suggested just screwed a 3/4 board to the top of each shelf and used that non-slide mat under but also there are spring rods that is sold by Camco called RV Cupboard Bars that work well.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote