Shells not aligned - Problem? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2019, 07:41 PM   #21

Name: Jack
Trailer: Burro
Ontario
I have a 1980 Burro 13' with the same misalignment of the inner shell. The previous owner was the builder of the kit. I've never had an any issues with it and had originally intended to fix it but since it's under the cushions had forgotten it.
bowhunter Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 08:59 PM   #22

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
The fiberglass shells are not "static" they do some deformation over the years. The movement of the shells can be influenced by a number of factors.

But you see that fact that they can handle some deformation without falling apart and developing a lot of cracks is what makes them so durable. We all need some flexibility and keeping it as you age is a rare thing for not just people but also structures. Big cheers for fiberglass trailers!!!
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 09:09 PM   #23

Name: George
Trailer: 83 Burro
Illinois
I just walked out an took at look at my 83 Burro. I've got the interior stripped while I do some gelcoat work. So I can see the structure. The Burro has a gap between the inner and outer shells. Since they drove the spare tire mount bolts through both shells, one side was either tightened too much, or the weight of the spare tire brought the two shells together on the Burro you're looking at. My Burro has a spare tire too, and a block of wood was put between the two shells at the seam to maintain the spacing. It's a pretty easy solution to your problem. I'd remove the spare tire mount, cut a piece of wood that you can put in between the shells, fiberglass that piece of wood, then install the wood between the two shells and re-install the spare tire mount. I think that once you remove the spare tire mount and see what's there, you'll see that it's an easy job.
GWMattson is offline   Reply With Quote