Shelves in the closet - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2013, 03:59 PM   #1

Name: anne
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
Shelves in the closet

My husband and I just bought a 13' Scamp - LOVE IT!!! However, we really want to put sturdy shelves in the closet so we can use it as a pantry of sorts. Has anybody done this, and if so, what did you use and where did you get it???? THANKS!!!! Anne & Aaron
azooey73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:02 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Welcome to the forum. We have a good search available, but the secret is shown on the graphic below.

Here is a sample search: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/m...+shelves&sa=Go
Attached Thumbnails
Search box.JPG  
Old 07-14-2013, 05:40 PM   #3

Name: Chris
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
I bought a pine board for $20, cut it up, stained it and made shelves out of it.

I made a cut out in the bottom shelf so I can store things underneath.

all the details are on my site OurBoler, Family Outdoor Adventures or on the thread here with the same name.

I have also seen wire rack shelves installed and Ikea bin holders installed, both seem to work well.

Good luck with the project
Nelmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:49 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I put 1/4" plywood on the sides with quarter round screwed to it where I wanted my shelves. Made the shelves from 1'4" plywood also. Used a piece of masonite that I had for the back, but plywood would work there too. Assembled it all in the closet so it can't move. Camping World has under counter drawers so I put one of those under one shelf. A short screw in from each side also helps to hold the whole thing.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:17 PM   #5

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Installing shelves into the closet was the BEST EVER modification we made to our, then new, Scamp.

My hubby's handy and created a removable shelving system much like Tom's with no drilling or adhesive required. He used four 1"x4" fir uprights that were cut in 2 pieces each and screwed together so as to fit in the tall upright space. He drilled holes spaced about 2' apart to hold metal shelf clips Engineered Product Company (EPCO) 520-NN - Shelf Clip with 1/4" (6mm) Pin - EACH (Nickel) - The Hardware Hut. The shelves themselves are 1/4" thick plywood. The bottom shelf lifts much like the hatches in the original seats to access storage in the wheel well. Sorry, no photos.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:49 PM   #6

Name: anne
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
Thanks y'all! We tried gluing supports to the closet walls but the TX heat melted that pretty quickly, so we ended up drilling holes in the fiberglass and mounting them "properly"! They work wonderfully and we love them!!
azooey73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:59 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by azooey73 View Post
Thanks y'all! We tried gluing supports to the closet walls but the TX heat melted that pretty quickly, so we ended up drilling holes in the fiberglass and mounting them "properly"! They work wonderfully and we love them!!
glad you found and are using a solution that works for you!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:04 AM   #8

Name: Drew
Trailer: 1987 Scamp 16ft, Layout 4
Minnesota
For shelves in our closet I balanced not wanting to drill into the fiberglass sides in case I want to adjust shelf height later and the floor/bottom of the closet was extremely flimsy and wouldn't support much.

The top rod for hanging clothes was run perpendicular to the side of the scamp and is sturdier than the base of the closet.

Shelves were built from the top down using a bit of rope and plywood cut to fit with holes drilled at the corners.
Attached Images

DrewSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:29 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: 13' Scamp
California
Those are nice looking shelves Chris, but I'm curious what you did to keep them up. I can't tell from the pictures.
mkrueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:06 PM   #10

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
We too have plywood closet shelves. Ours are fully adjustable though. We attached metal shelf holders to both sides of the closet with pop rivets. There are wee brackets that slip into slots in the metal uprights to hold the shelves. We didn't put the bottom shelf at the lowest point and slip the rubber boots and spare shoes down into the bottom. There is a name for this mounting system - but I don't know it! Hubby got everything needed from the local lumberyard/hardware store in our small town.

We left the rod in the closet in case (when we eventually sell) the new owner wants a hanging closet.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:59 PM   #11

Alberta
I used pine planks and lath screws. The lath screws went in through the fiberglass side and into the shelf. It is strong, the screw bits well into fiberglass and wood, as well as looking more finished than most screws seem to in fiberglass.

Since I have also added a shelf in the top and used a hole saw to access it, this cleaned up all the clutter than found itself on the counter.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:13 AM   #12

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Chris, what a great idea! Have not seen anyone do that before.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:12 AM   #13

Alberta
Thanks Carol, it works great.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:30 AM   #14

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
For those considering adding shelves I highly recommend putting some sort of lip on the front of the shelves to prevent things from sliding up and hitting the door when traveling - it will cause the door to pop open when traveling.

I used wire shelves upside down to create a lip and they work well. Was able to clip and bend the wires at the back to match the shape of the trailer walls. I did mount rails on the sides of the cabinet to allow the shelves to be moved up or down. Needed to moving them several times until I found the position that worked best for what I store on them. When mounting the rails I used Scamp snap caps and holders over the screw heads that were visible on the outside of the fiberglass cabinets. Just as is done at the factory. Hard to tell from the outside that they were not always there.

Dont mind my messy shelves - photo was taken during the middle of camping season. Thats my excuse and I am sticking to it!
Attached Thumbnails
lower closet open small.JPG  
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #15

Trailer: 82 Burro
Dear Nelmes,

This is the first winter mod I'm going to make. I, too, have 10 to 12 empty inches above my clothes rod that's not paying it's own way. For many years I've been scratching my head regarding how I can use that space. You're a creative genius.

Thanks for sharing,
Shirley
Shirley LaMoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:27 AM   #16

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
Shelf shapes

Adding shelves seems to be a common mod.

For those of you who did this with plywood and a track type system, how did you measure for the size of the shelves? With our curved walls, the bottom shelf should be a little bigger than the top one. Did you just go for an average size and tolerate the fact that there may be a gap? I have made some cardboard templates, and ideally each shelf will be slightly different in shape. If each shelf is different, the track system doesnt really work. Thoughts?

Rubbermaid | 48 Inch Fast Track Upright | Home Depot Canada

Also, is there any concern with weight inside the closet? This closet structure isn't really designed to support shelves full of cooking supplies. Thoughts?

Derek
glamourpets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:55 AM   #17

New York
I built side walls of 1/4" plywood, used 1/4 round wood strips for the shelves to set on, another piece of plywood for the back. The sides set on the bottom of the closet. I had to assemble it inside the closet because the door opening is narrower than the closet side walls. Found it is important to have a back because we are camping in cool weather at times, down to 20F, and with heat on the walls sweat. We use part of the closet for clothes, so need to keep them away from the outer wall. Under one shelf we installed a plastic under cabinet drawer from Camping World for small kitchen utensils.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:54 AM   #18

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I built side walls of 1/4" plywood, used 1/4 round wood strips for the shelves to set on, another piece of plywood for the back. The sides set on the bottom of the closet. I had to assemble it inside the closet because the door opening is narrower than the closet side walls. Found it is important to have a back because we are camping in cool weather at times, down to 20F, and with heat on the walls sweat. We use part of the closet for clothes, so need to keep them away from the outer wall. Under one shelf we installed a plastic under cabinet drawer from Camping World for small kitchen utensils.
Wow. I do like the sound of this but it is more ambitious then i was really planning to go. Adding plywood walls certainly would make the structure more solid. I like the sound of the utensil drawer.

Derek
glamourpets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:13 AM   #19

New York
What I did is not that complicated, and is basically a free standing unit when assembled in the closet. I did put a couple screws in from each side to secure it. The drawers are available from Camping World, and I may have seen them at Amazon too. The ad shows two drawers, but the price of about $20 is for only one. I also have one under our front couch as a "junk" drawer. They are very shallow, so can't put anything big in them. They slide on plastic rails that attach under a shelf or cabinet.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:22 AM   #20

New York
I looked up the drawers, Camping World has them on sale, "add a drawer, item #38133," $18.99. They have a roll out shelf, item #57022, that I installed in the space where our furnace was, made a front with a turn latch for it. Lowes sells a similar item but was too wide for my space. Camping World also has a deeper, wider, shorter under cabinet drawer, plastic.