Shipping a 13 ft Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2021, 05:19 PM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: In the market
TX
Shipping a 13 ft Scamp

Hello,
I may have to have a 13 ft Scamp shipped 1300 miles to home unless I'm willing to make the trip, get the Scamp and go home on a tight schedule. It's doable but I don't know what it would cost to have it shipped. Could be it's too much or bearable. Does anyone have any experience with that or know of a good transportation company?

Proff Bill
Proff Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 07:18 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
There are many threads on this board and other forums on this topic. I have not read them all but I will summarize what I recall...

U-Ship seems to be used a lot and if nothing else can give you an idea of the price.. https://www.uship.com/
For comparison you might call Scamp and ask for their cost to ship a new one to you, and then compare cost per mile.

But the question that comes to my mind is why? Is this your trailer that you might need help moving? Or are you buying one without personally inspecting it first? Or something else.

And yes, if it is buying one and having it shipped to you sight unseen, then its hard not to butt in and tell you how bad an idea that is.. that is unless its a new one from the factory.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 10:30 PM   #3

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Or are you buying new?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proff Bill View Post
Hello,
I may have to have a 13 ft Scamp shipped 1300 miles to home unless I'm willing to make the trip, get the Scamp and go home on a tight schedule. It's doable but I don't know what it would cost to have it shipped. Could be it's too much or bearable. Does anyone have any experience with that or know of a good transportation company?Proff Bill
You do not say where or when. North (Backus) in the winter can be bad. I-35 is kept open but there is still no camping with water in the RV in the winter. You are buying the Scamp to travel, this could be the first trip. Maybe about 6 - 7 days on the road and you will know the RV when you get home. You may also save some money. If it's a southern trip it would be easier. (I've heard $1 / mile to transport and that may be on the road, not a flat bed)
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 10:59 AM   #4
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
Smile

Quote:
Hello,
I may have to have a 13 ft Scamp shipped 1300 miles to home unless I'm willing to make the trip, get the Scamp and go home on a tight schedule. It's doable but I don't know what it would cost to have it shipped. Could be it's too much or bearable. Does anyone have any experience with that or know of a good transportation company?

Proff Bill
Last year $2000 to Cape Cod or if I go get it was a great trip brought it back, straight through Monday noon to Tuesday 11:30 p.m. glad I went, Scamp people helpful and chance to check it out. Nice motel down the highway if you get there early.
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 11:53 AM   #5

Name: Bill
TX
Thanks

Hey folks,

Thanks for all of the advice. Looks like $2000 would be the going rate. I think I'm going to do this myself. I've got a crazy schedule that means depending on others is problematical.

Once I get this done I'm sure I'll have all kinds of questions but I've got cats to herd first. Again, thanks.
Proff Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 02:43 PM   #6
MJo

Massachusetts
You can do it fast and easy, no reason to pay $2000. I went 1600 miles in 1 1/2 days, Scamp followed along like it was floating on a cloud. As someone told me, easy-smeasy. Have fun. MJo
Old 11-08-2021, 05:55 PM   #7
MJo

Massachusetts
Quote:
Hey folks,

Thanks for all of the advice. Looks like $2000 would be the going rate. I think I'm going to do this myself. I've got a crazy schedule that means depending on others is problematical.

Once I get this done I'm sure I'll have all kinds of questions but I've got cats to herd first. Again, thanks.
down the road about 1/2. hour from the Scamp factory is a Wyndham hotel/motel. It is designed in a early American motif with log cabin styled furniture and has a room with coffee and rolls in the morning. then toward Scamp about 1500 feet from the hotel is a small restaurant with a large statue of a man with an ax out front. I had a chicken dinner there, not much chicken for $8.95 in October of 2020, but the Wyndham hotel is very comfortable, clean and cozy. it was ok to bring my dog in, but I had to sneak my cat in for the night.
I think most people who have made the trip haven’t regretted it.
Old 11-09-2021, 10:30 AM   #8

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJo View Post
large statue of a man with an ax out front.
I'm guessing Paul Bunyan, who is usually accompanied by Babe, his Blue Ox. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_B...be_the_Blue_Ox
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 11:14 AM   #9
MJo

Massachusetts
shipping 13 Ft.

Yes, I couldn’t think of it, but it was Paul Bunyan, I didn’t see the Blue Ox tho, and I would have noticed. Wonderful country. I live over here on Cape Cod and there’s not much country, so to see the farms and corn fields and cows, I really enjoyed the trip. You will too if you make it. As you get further north, nearer to Backus, lots of trees and fresh air. I’d like to go back, maybe to get air conditioning installed. I thought about a furnace but if you go out where it’s freezing, you also have to think about your water pipes and it gets complicated. You will hear people talk about camps and their electric cords and protecting from power surges. I’ve purchased a surge protecter that gets installed in line and is housed beneath the right side seat near where the electric cord comes out of the Scamp. If you’re interested, contact Jon from Santa Cruz. He may be watching this. good luck.
Old 11-13-2021, 12:18 PM   #10

Name: Melissa
TN
Scamp delivery

I forgot what was quoted per mile but for 1100 miles, it was going to be ~$2500 to transport to me unless gas went up.

We're opting for a whirlwind trip.

MT
Melissa T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 02:09 PM   #11

Name: Matt in SoAZ
Trailer: Scamp 13
Arizona
Where and when do you need transportation? I’ve posted previously that I drive from southern Indiana to southern Arizona fairly frequently. About half the time I am not pulling a trailer… but would in exchange for a pocket full of gas money. I only bumper-pull with my F-150. As of today, I plan to depart southern Indiana November 16th or 17th, and arrive in southern Arizona a couple days later.
rancilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 04:52 PM   #12

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Personally-and through reading other people’s experiences-if you’re getting a new one, you want/need to inspect it yourself when you pick up the Scamp. Parts are likely to need adjustment-and for sure will when you get back home.

I’ve buddy-shipped lots of items for other people and can tell you—a delivery person is never going to accept liability for damage.

Don’t let a short-term tight life schedule leave you with a take of dissatisfaction..

-John
jparello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 06:00 PM   #13
MJo

Massachusetts
shipping a 13 ft. Scamp

I agree, better to go get it yourself. It’s expensive buy and you want to check it out and ask questions at Scamp. You don’t want it’s ‘maiden voyage’ to be with a stranger in case there are some kinks to be worked out.
Old 11-14-2021, 06:55 AM   #14

Name: Beth K
Trailer: Casita
Arizona
Regarding frozen water lines/tanks in the winter, I have never minded leaving that system empty and using jugs of water for everything instead.
vanstaats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 08:09 AM   #15
MJo

Massachusetts
shipping a 13ft Scamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanstaats View Post
Regarding frozen water lines/tanks in the winter, I have never minded leaving that system empty and using jugs of water for everything instead.
Yes, that is good advice. People talk about wrapping the water lines, I guess there is electrical tape that is supposed to protect the lines, but risky if you miss a line and it freezes.
Old 11-18-2021, 12:40 PM   #16

Name: Judi
Trailer: 16' Scamp
North Carolina
Shipping a 13 ft.

I just did the ~1500 mile round trip form NC to MN to pick up my new 16'. I budgeted to drive 8 hours a day and added an extra day just in case and was glad as I hit a blizzard and had to stay a day along the way until the roads were cleared on the 5" of snow. The parking lot at Scamp was clear but snow was higher up there and piled up around the lot. Made it back in 2 1/2 days. I used up 5 days of vacation and a weekend to do this. Make sure you schedule your pick up with your salesperson too!
Judi in NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp