Should I remove Ensolite? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2021, 05:37 PM   #1

Name: Alison
Trailer: Scamp
Utah
Should I remove Ensolite?

Greetings!

I have a 1980 13ft Scamp. Had it for years and want to do some renovations. My question is whether to remove the Ensolite. Photos attached. It’s in really good shape, but the camper does have a weird smell I’ve never been able to get rid of. I want to add more insulation and rat fur. Can I just put it over the Ensolite? Is that inviting any problems? Could the Ensolite be the cause of the smell?
Attached Thumbnails
B98512DD-C949-445E-839C-DB6ABFE18F84.jpg   D0BEB31A-4F77-4C90-AAC1-3DCAAF2F3C4B.jpg  

alidbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 06:06 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by alidbond View Post
Greetings!

I have a 1980 13ft Scamp. Had it for years and want to do some renovations. My question is whether to remove the Ensolite. Photos attached. It’s in really good shape, but the camper does have a weird smell I’ve never been able to get rid of. I want to add more insulation and rat fur. Can I just put it over the Ensolite? Is that inviting any problems? Could the Ensolite be the cause of the smell?
While removing the Ensolite can be done, it's difficult. The alternative, Reflectix, covered by marine head liner, (Rat Fur) is not easy to install. In my opinion, Ensolite is a better product than Reflectix. I’m not fond of Rat Fur either. It’s too dark.

It is not likely that the smell comes from the Ensolite, which is a completely synthetic, closed cell foam, covered by vinyl. Not much to generate smell. You could try spraying the surface with a diluted bleach solution, followed by some air freshener, the next day.

As for aditional insulation, your windows are likely your major heat leak. Try thermal curtains.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 06:10 PM   #3

Utah
I could do the marine headliner in a lighter color. I just like the “warmth” of “rat fur.” Would there be a problem putting it over the Ensolite?
Old 12-15-2021, 09:01 PM   #4

Name: Dave and Bonnie
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by alidbond View Post
Greetings!

We have a '77 Boler 17ft. We washed the ensolite with soap and water. We put on a coat of primer, then a coat of white paint. Looks great, smell great.

Some of the smeil may come from damp wood?
daveandbonscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 09:30 PM   #5

Name: Christian
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Arizona
You could likely earn a small fortune selling your Ensolite by the square inch [emoji1787]
chrisblessing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 09:57 PM   #6

Utah
Why is Ensolite valuable? I got the impression people hated it, but I also read it was made by NASA and really good at what it’s supposed to do.

I have a 16ft that’s newer and it’s just so warm and cozy feeling. My little guy feels so cold. I thought some more insulation and lining would help. I also want to add some lights and things, so it’s a “easy” way to hide the electrical.

It’s always smelled that way and I’ve had it since about 2004. The wood is all in good condition. It was gross when I bought it. I cleaned and painted the Ensolite but never got rid of the smell. I wish I could describe it. It doesn’t smell moldy or musty. It’s not tobacco like in a car or hotel room. It’s not like a sharp chemical smell. It’s not like rotten food. There’s no carpet, no fridge, no heater. I’m at a loss.
Old 12-15-2021, 10:02 PM   #7

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Weird Smell?

Git an Ozone Generator to remove the smell.

Google it. Used all the time at automotive detail shops to remove bad smells.

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 07:49 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Never had an odor issue with ensolite after a good cleaning. Other than paint I have not had much luck attaching anything to ensolite. I would not try attaching reflectix or rat fur to it. As for odors, the wood in the old floors is usually the odor source. When the sections of rotted floors are replaced, the funky smelling trailers smell like new. Check for rotted floors if good paint the floors under the cabinets. If you have carpet replace it with LVT. I also replace the vinyl/foam insulation under the benches in older trailers with reflectix.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 05:55 PM   #9

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
!!!NO!!!!

Clean it with bleach and air it out during and after.
After everything is cleaned prime with Bullseye 123 and paint with an anti mildew latex paint.
The smell is likely coming from a rotten spot or more in the floor.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 07:10 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
!!!NO!!!!
What are you responding to?
Old 12-16-2021, 10:33 PM   #11

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
Weird Smell?

Git an Ozone Generator to remove the smell.

Google it. Used all the time at automotive detail shops to remove bad smells.
bleach can cause rubber and foam to deteriorate.

I second the emotion, ozone generators work *great*. open all the cabinets and the icebox, remove everything loose from the trailer, close all the windows and vents, put the generator in it, run the extension cord out the door, close the door, plug it in for a few hours, then unplug it for a few more hours, then open the door and let the trailer air out, and voila, no more smells at all.

this will remove old tobacco smoke odors, baby barf, food spoilage smells from a fridge, just about anything organic.

you can rent these for a day at any decent tool rental business, like in the area I live in there's a "A Tool Shed Rentals", that has everything from concrete drills to tractors
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 09:45 AM   #12

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
bleach can cause rubber and foam to deteriorate.
That may be true, but I used several applications of a 50% bleach / 50% water solution on this trailer:
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...now-61473.html

No obvious degradation of the vinyl, or foam. However, a year later I could still smell the bleach. More time, and open windows and that eventually went away.
I have since purchased an ozone generator.
Old 12-17-2021, 04:24 PM   #13

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I have since purchased an ozone generator.
did that get rid of the bleach smell?
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 04:44 PM   #14

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by parmm View Post
The smell dissipated from leaving the windows open, and Mike painting the fibreglass repairs that we did. I have some final pictures for that thread.

I got the ozone generator after that. It's a handy tool.
Old 12-22-2021, 09:57 PM   #15

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by parmm View Post

Ozone gets out 'organic' smells like smoke, animal urine, baby barf, spoiled food smells, mold/mildew, etc etc. chlorine smells should dissipate with sunshine and plenty of fresh air.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 05:53 PM   #16

Name: Lynn W
Trailer: Trillium
Florida
I think I got rid of most of the musty smell in my 1975 Trillium 1300 by removing the wood table & cabinet doors. I wiped everything with bleach. I had a new table made with lighter weight wood and plan to use paracord to secure things in the cabinets. I live in Florida so with the windows open & a few containers of damp rid it got dried out pretty well.
Lynn W in FL is offline   Reply With Quote