Side/Front Dinette Bed - Adult Sleeping? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2015, 10:10 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Side/Front Dinette Bed - Adult Sleeping?

It appears the smaller dinette beds are all pretty much the same size. We need to sleep 3 adults, our son is 5'4" and 140 lbs (he has Down syndrome so is a permanent fixture in our lives at this point) and I want the most comfortable of the choices but not having access to check them myself, am asking for opinions on what another adult would or have chosen if they had to sleep on one. We will sleep with sleeping bags anyway so we won't be moving all over the place. My son is so excited about moving from the pop-up to a tiny trailer that he would probably be happy to sleep in any spot, the floor, the roof.....

My top picks at this point are the EggCamper and the Scamp 16', probably the deluxe since we need maximum storage also. 5th wheel is out as the tow vehicles are either a standard van or the Dodge Durange (mid-size SUV).

I am determined to be "small". Also, the budget doesn't allow for Escape or Oliver, at least at this point. But, finally, we are doing it and making the purchase one way or the other!

Thank you for your thoughts.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:52 AM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Side dinette

You might take a look at the casitas as well
I know I am
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:02 AM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
You might also look at the earlier BigFoot 17' FGRV's. They have two decent size beds available and really nice floor plan for a smaller trailer.
Earlier ones are well priced and can be found in both the U.S. & Canada. Canadian rigs over 25 y.o. are easy to import, later ones take a bit of extra effort. Here are two links, one to a good search site and another to some interior pics of one. be aware that the later 17.5 foot Bigfoot is a different trailer, is heavier, and costs a lot more.

And... Right now all of Canada is offering a 20% off sale on Canadian dollar prices when bought with US dollars (LOL? nope)

Search Site:
Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailers For Sale | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

BigFoot pics:
1993 17' Bigfoot Travel Trailer | Kamloops, BC, Canada | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:48 AM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
My Trillium bias is obvious, but I am really convinced that the Trillium 4500, Front Dinette is a nearly perfect 2, or 3 person trailer. That is if you can live without a bathroom. There is a porta-potty closet though.

They are kinda rare. Normally the front has a gaucho bunk bed. I have been looking for one for my wife and I for some time. My wife won't let me buy any more trailers, till I fix up and sell Humpy Dumpty, and the Cantaloupe. So this process has stalled a bit.

Here are some links to front dinette 4500's:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...0-a-59093.html
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...0-a-57980.html
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...0-a-57533.html

The Trillium 4500's from 1979 to 1981, (last year of Trillium?) all had the same fibreglass as the front dinette, even if they were a front gaucho unit. Many people have converted them to a front dinette:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...0-a-52072.html

Actually, they also made the 1300 with a front dinette. It should be noted that the width of both the rear bed and the front bed are smaller then they are on the 4500:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...0-a-57532.html
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...0-a-54100.html
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:26 PM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
There are quite a few campers listed in the For Sale section that would meet your needs including a rare EggCamper, a Parkliner, several Casitas and a Scamp 16 Deluxe. Happy shopping , Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:30 PM   #6

Thanks everyone. We have been looking used and considering new for some time. We are sort of locked down in one place because of my husband's slave driving employer. Ah, one of those good things about being 60 rather than 30 years old, hope is ahead with at least a partial retirement, that's probably an oxymoron but none the less, time to do something other than just ride the merry-go-round in circles.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:49 PM   #7

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Can't agree Cathy, not that we did it, but it's a lot better to be 30 y.o., win the lottery for $10 mil and give that boss the one-finger salute as you go out the door... LOLOLOL

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Can't agree Cathy, not that we did it, but it's a lot better to be 30 y.o., win the lottery for $10 mil and give that boss the one-finger salute as you go out the door... LOLOLOL
Even without lottery winnings, when they told my husband no one was getting New Year's off.............. Almost no holidays are allowed, they pay double so we put it in the "buy the trailer" fund but still...................... And, the two weeks of vacation have to be split into one week each and can't be in conjunction with a holiday. This is a manufacturer of a junk food and not an essential service.

So, if we can stay sane, the "buy the trailer" fund continues to grow. (Pollyanna's "glad game" at work in my head).
Old 02-12-2015, 07:12 PM   #9

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Having owned or been inside a lot of the Eggs out there I would think the Eggcamper has the roomiest interior by far.

The difference is not subtle and the side dinette bed even has a sort of tunnel where the feet will go that might help him stay in place better than the others too?

If I had to sleep 3 that is how I would do it,if I could find one of course!
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:29 PM   #10

Thanks, Ed. I have heard that the EggCamper is more roomy and has aisle space. We have 2 senior larger dogs which equates to more insulation on the floor - looking for the positive side of stepping over and then over again.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:56 AM   #11

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
When we bought our EggCamper, Jim Palmer, the designer and builder, told us that some people, with more than one child, have the kids sleep on the floor, with their feet and torsos (torsi?), under the bed. The floor is flat and the bed is 54" wide, so there wouldn't be much sticking out and in the way.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 03:32 PM   #12

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Cathy, I am 5'6" and weigh...too much, and I've slept comfortably on our Casita 17's side dinette/bench, first out of need to be near the bathroom after starting meds with diuretics in them, and then continuing because my husband was SO happy to have the big bed to himself. The only adjustment I made was to stuff a towel under the outside edge of a cushion because I had the sensation I was going to slide or roll off. I really like the setup (but still do it for my husband's sake, of course!).
Ruth C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 06:55 PM   #13

Good information, Ruth. I measured our sofa in the living room and it is nearly identical to the size of the side beds in the Scamp/Casita/EggCamper and I have slept comfortably on it and am roughly the same size as my son. I think with the right topper to make it a little more comfortable, it will definitely work. Thanks!