Side Window Bowing - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2010, 01:50 PM   #1

Trailer: 1976 Boler 13 ft
Registry
Side Window Bowing

Hi. my opening windows leaked so they were removed and resealed. However, we put them on the wrong sides by accident and they had a terrible bow in them, like they were being compressed somehow. I removed them, resealed again, and put them on the proper sides. Now they STILL have a bow in them, although not so bad. Does anyone have any idea why this is? They were screwed in to the frames tight, maybe too much? does this even matter? I havent been in rain yet, but when i washed it there was no sign of leakage. Thoughts appreciated. thanks
Attached Thumbnails
004 (2) - Copy.JPG  
cyndi H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:56 PM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Cyndi,

I can't quite tell what is bowing from the photo - can you post more? My 1974 Boler has that same style of window frame, with the inner trim ring of wood that is placed into aluminum frames. Did you replace that wood? Is that potentially what is bowing? Which dimension is the distortion in? It's hard to imagine the actual window bowing, although I suppose anything is possible.

I have recently taken those same windows out (and reinstalled one so far), so they are fresh in my mind

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:21 PM   #3

Registry
i'll try to take a larger picture later. the top frame (and bottom somewhat) bow inwards, like it bent in from being squished when i put it in. good for you for doing one at a time. i never thought to mark mine to make sure the same one out was the same one in. Oh well, it appears that they dont leak anyway. did you get the gasket seal you wanted? they emailed me that it was in stock but 1/2 of my list wasnt so i am waiting.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:22 AM   #4

Hi cyndi,

I took both windows out on the same day, but although I did keep track of which was which, I believe mine were both flat (I had them on my workbench while replacing seals and I'm pretty sure I would have noticed if they were not flat.) I actually think the windows pull the camper sides flat and not vice-versa.

I did get all the seals (at one time) from Vintage. I haven't started the small windows yet though.

Oh, and I have to put in a plug for the 3M Weather Resistant Tape (#225) that I've recommended in the past. I had put some over the edges of the windows and on the adjacent fiberglass *over a year ago* and it came off with no problem (in addition to having kept the windows from leaking until I got a chance to re-bed them properly). Blue tape would have been like concrete by now!

I'll watch for further photos from you - I'm very curious now!

Raya

PS: I replaced the wood inside the aluminum trip strips. The old stuff (plywood) wasn't in really bad condition, but while I had it all apart... I used new, stainless screws.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:57 AM   #5

Registry
When are you going to register your trailer and post all your pics? i will do my small windows sometime, when they have all i need in stock. i was thinking maybe i screwed them in too tight if this is possible? Or maybe they were squished from going in the wrong holes b/c that is where it was really noticeable. i think i could 'fix' it if i put a screw through the center of upper window frame into the internal frame but i just dont want to do that. if it doesn't leak i dont care anymore. Did i mention that while they were out i sanded them both down inside and out? it took most of the day but they are pretty shiny. still some pitting on the rod but whatever. i sealed them too so i hopefully wont ever have to do it again. (forgot to put that on the profile) it looks a lot better with shiny aluminum.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:32 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler 1300 1973
Registry
What did you do to prevent the bottom rod to rust again (sealed you wrote) just from air moisture ? I have 4 windows, for the 2 small ones the ros doesn't rust, but the 2 big ones they do, most probably the previous owner did something to the 2 first ones to prevent this.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:28 PM   #7

Registry
I didn't really have a rust problem, just dullness and pitting. After i sanded them down as best i could i sealed them with Glisten PC 'from the makers of por 15' (whatever that is) i bought it at lordco. there may be better products out there but they are just down the street so if they have something I'll buy there 1st. It is a 2 part mixture. i found it pretty easy to use paced out by mixing with syringes rather than doing the entire can at once. i think it was 1 part to 3 or something like that. i didn't want to ever have to sand again. if you only have the trouble in the larger windows maybe whatever is causing the corrosion is more prevalent there?
Old 08-26-2010, 06:10 AM   #8

Trailer: Boler 1300 1973
Registry
Quote:
if you only have the trouble in the larger windows maybe whatever is causing the corrosion is more prevalent there?
Yes there was a problem with them when I got it, but I fixed it since then. But still they are prone to rust slowly, thanks.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:17 PM   #9

Registry
I hope it works for you. I've only had mine done for a few months so hopefully it will stand the test of time. i'm optimistic about it. Ps- love your red/white interior. If i could do it again i'd had red cushions too. brown- What was i thinking!?!?
Old 08-26-2010, 03:31 PM   #10

cyndi,

Do you think you will have a chance to post some additional photos of the window problem? I'm curious as to what you have going on.

Raya
Old 08-26-2010, 05:36 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raya L. View Post
cyndi,

Do you think you will have a chance to post some additional photos of the window problem? I'm curious as to what you have going on.

Raya
I'll try. i'm wiped. still havent put the bed back together yet. i did manage to wash the sheets and put the closet door under an old stove to de-warp though!. taking the trailer out seems to wipe me out. i dont come back from a trip refreshed, i come back exhausted. takes 3 hours just to unpack and clean everything. i've been thinking i'll just putter on it slowly with updates, but i dont seem to have the energy to use it. i'm not sure i'm going to anymore.I wont sell though. i want to eventually set it up on a piece of land in NZ, either as a retreat or full time home.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:11 PM   #12

Okay, well don't rush on my account. I just wanted to take a look-see to help you out, so that can be on your schedule.

Raya

PS: Shipping your Boler to NZ -- that sounds exciting.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:15 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raya L. View Post
Okay, well don't rush on my account. I just wanted to take a look-see to help you out, so that can be on your schedule.

Raya

PS: Shipping your Boler to NZ -- that sounds exciting.
Oh thanks! no worries, i will post soon although that pic shows it best. i'll try and take a full shot tmmmrw.