Side window replacement on a 2015 Scamp. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2020, 09:29 AM   #1

Name: zack
Trailer: scamp 13
California
Side window replacement on a 2015 Scamp.

It looks like I need to replace the side window on my 2015 Scamp 13. Any advice is most welcome. It looks like there are 14 Phillips head screws on the inside. I see something that looks like silicone or some sort of sealant on the outside.

I ordered and received a replacement window from Scamp. I am hoping to be able to do a good job with the replacement and most appreciative of any advice.
zack sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 09:34 AM   #2

California
Photo

Here is a b picture from the inside
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 10-15-2020, 10:49 AM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
my Scamp 13 used square drive screws. A Robertson, also known as a square or Scrulox screw drive. these square drive screws are very common to the Rv world. surprised you have Phillips screws but your trailer is much newer than mine.

the windows come with a thin gasket that is useless. I suggest you put masking tape around your current window. take a razor blade and cut the seal around the window aim into the joint and not straight in following the frame. now unscrew the screws in the inner trim ring. these screws are in tight so if you use a power driver lean in hard the bit must not slip. if you have any slippage stop what your doing lick the end of the driver bit and jam it in the dirt and then go back at the screw. the grit will help from slipping. if your unscrewing by hand put your driver in and full force lean in to the driver place a vice grip on the shank and use it as a lever. any problems grit the end and have at it.

once the screws are out pull the trim ring out. don't push the window out with out some one to support the window on the out side. then clean the window opening in preparation for installing the new window.
get some butyl tape and wrap the outside window frame flat on the flange. have a helper push the window into place and install the inner trim ring. this will squeeze out excess butyl sealant. I would wait until early morning while its cool to trim of the excess squeeze out with a plastic knife so you don't make a stringy mess. after trimming calk over the exposed edge with sealant I personally like Lexel calking. squeeze that around the window sparingly and smooth with a wet finger. you then pull the tape for a clean seal.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 11:09 AM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Good write up Steve!
I would also let the window sit for a few days to let the butyl settle, then re-torque the screws, then trim excess butly.. all before adding any sealant around the edge (which is just for appearance anyway).

You might find butyl is used already... since the window is designed for a flat surface and the Scamp has a slight curve, they might need a little extra something to make it waterproof.

Lastly, may I ask why you need to replace the window? I'm not sure but I think all the parts including the glass can be replaced to repair most any problem. But its a moot point now that you have the replacement. Just save the old one for parts
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 11:43 AM   #5

California
Thanks a lot Steve and Gordon. This is great. Really helpful!
I was driving just a short distance with the window open and it hit a tree and got pretty bent out of shape in addition to the upper glass part breaking, so I just thought I would be better off replacing the whole thing, although maybe I should’ve tried to fix it?
Old 10-15-2020, 11:44 AM   #6

California
The new one, what Scamp does now, is a slider type window rather than one where the windows open outward. Not sure which type I would like better.?
Old 10-15-2020, 12:24 PM   #7

North Carolina
I suspect the slider is not meant to be open in the rain.. Jalousie style can be left open in light rain.

As for the damage.. Ouch. Lucky it was only the window.
Old 10-15-2020, 11:55 PM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Sliders are mechanically simpler with fewer seals to leak. Jalousies can be left open in the rain, and they allow a greater area open to breezes.

I live in a dry, windy climate and like my sliders. Many people who live in humid, rainy climates swear by their jalousies.

You could always install the slider and fiddle with repairing the jalousie in your leisure. If you are successful and decide you prefer jalousies, put it back in.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 09:31 AM   #9
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I believe those are the same hehr 8700 series jalousie windows in my Trillium. I'm sure Scamp can verify that. If so, they are " field repairable". That is, you can fix it in place. When I needed parts, these folks had them.

RV Window - Pelland Enterprises
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:04 AM   #10

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
I believe those are the same hehr 8700 series jalousie windows in my Trillium. I'm sure Scamp can verify that. If so, they are " field repairable". That is, you can fix it in place. When I needed parts, these folks had them.

RV Window - Pelland Enterprises
And here is some documentation that might help:
http://www.hehrintl.com/pdf/Hehr%20Service%20Manual.pdf
Old 10-17-2020, 05:17 PM   #11

California
Thanks everyone for the comments and the education. This is really an amazing forum and tremendously helpful in my opinion! Anyway, I did install the new window with considerable help from someone more skilled than I. The most difficult part was getting those first screws in, because the surface is not flat and it’s difficult. Additionally, we had to cut the hole bigger, but that was a relatively easy compared to compressing things enough to create the sandwich and get the two halfs to connect. It turned out really good I think, and I am really happy with the slider. Although I certainly see the benefit to both types of windows as people have suggested and discussed. I feel like that’s a pretty interesting discussion people have posted of the relative merits and strengths of slider versus jealousy.
If I had known how difficult it would be I think I would’ve been a little intimidated and might have just tried to fix the old window as people have discussed. But anyway, it turned out really good and I’m really happy with it. Thanks again to all for your very helpful excellent, and knowledgeable advice!!
Old 10-17-2020, 05:20 PM   #12

California
Picture

Picture of new window
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 10-17-2020, 05:22 PM   #13

California
Take 2

Take two.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 10-17-2020, 06:07 PM   #14

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Didn't realize the hole is bigger. No going back now. You might make the damaged one available to someone who needs a replacement and is willing to tackle a repair. May take a while to find that person, but it'd be worth saving if you can spare the storage space.

Glad you got it going!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:15 AM   #15

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Didn't realize the hole is bigger. No going back now. You might make the damaged one available to someone who needs a replacement and is willing to tackle a repair. May take a while to find that person, but it'd be worth saving if you can spare the storage space.

Glad you got it going!
Sounds good to me. Thanks Jon.

Tags
scamp