Silicone removal question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2017, 12:59 PM   #1

Name: Ellen
Trailer: Play Pac
Louisiana
Silicone removal question

We are in the process of taking out the windows in the Play Pac, cleaning them, removing all of the silicone around the frame, and putting them back in and resealing them. I'm able to get the silicone off the of the fiberglass pretty easily with a scraper but the windows are another story. Is there a solution or something's I could use on the windows to loosen it?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8037.jpg  
EllenAndHerPlayPac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 03:19 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Brush wheel on my drill and acetone.

Scrape as much as you can with some scraper, putty knife, flat blade screwdriver, etc, whatever you have.
Then run the brush wheel. It will not come all off.
Clean the window flange with a old rag and acetone. A thin film of silicone should wash off, thicker part will soften up.
Run the brush wheel again, then the acetone rag again.
In my case, after the 3rd pass, I was down on bare aluminium pretty much everywhere.
Took just a few minutes.

I found it harder to remove the old silicone off the fiberglass. I used a plastic spudger as a scraper to remove as much as I could without scratching the gel coat, then i applied some Dab's Silicone-B-Gone remover. Let it work an hour or two (cleaned the window as above in the meantime). The silicone remover softens the old sealant and turns it into some sort of gelly that can be scraped off much easily or even just wiped with a rag (2-3 applications were sometimes required).

I've done all 7 windows on my trailer, lots of pictures on my thread:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...a-71346-4.html
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote