Silicone Remover? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #41

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
karen---you don't have much to lose! how about a test in a hidden or hard to see area? let us know how things work out.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:32 PM   #42

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
I hate silicone

We drove home through California, Oregon and Washington in the pouring rain the whole way. Yes, we even had rain in the Mojave Desert! The trucks were throwing up sheets of grime-ladened road spray at us constantly. No problem, I thought, I'll just give the trailer a good wash when we get home. Well, after the wash most of the trailer looks like its shiney new self, but all the "clear" silicone around the lights and other openings is colored brown now
Well, the trailer wasn't gonna stay new forever
Hey, on the bright side at least it only got hit by road spray and not by the whole truck!
Phil
Old 04-15-2012, 11:07 AM   #43

Trailer: 76 Honey Neonex Boler
Registry
Theresa - I have a piece of ensolite I could test on, just need to see if the local stores have Silicone-Be-Gone. I will let you know the results.
Karen L W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:37 AM   #44

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1974 and Burro 1986 17 ft Widebody
Hello everybody: I just call the DAP corp. and I was told DAP Silicone-Be-Gone is a discontinued products. I've call stores in my area with no luck; Menard's, Ace, Lowes and Home Depot. - Mary Lynn K.
Mary Lynn K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:51 AM   #45

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Lynn K. View Post
Hello everybody: I just call the DAP corp. and I was told DAP Silicone-Be-Gone is a discontinued product.
Oh CRUD!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:36 PM   #46

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Hi All
I just picked up a bottle from Home Depot in London Ontario 2 weeks ago. Hope it's not old stock and outdated, have yet to try it.
Ron
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:30 PM   #47

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Hello Mary Lynn
Just checked with RPM (Dap a subsiduary) in Toronto and they said both Home Depot & Rona here in Canada still purchase this prod from them. Not sure where you are located but in Ontario Canada it's still availible.

Ron
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:59 PM   #48

Hi Ron: Thanks for the info. I will continue my search with the info. you have given me and pass it along asap. I live in Waukesha, Wisconsin, the county west of Milwaukee. - Thanks, Mary Lynn
Old 05-03-2012, 07:51 PM   #49

Hello All: Found: DAP Silicone-Be-Gone. I spoke w/Rep. from RPM Intl. from Medina, OH, yesterday and got an answer this afternoon. Ace Hardware carries this product. It should be available throughout the U.S. I suggest you call the store first, to make sure it's in stock. - Mary Lynn
Old 05-04-2012, 07:55 AM   #50

Name: Kerry
Trailer: Scamp16-1985
Maryland
I ordered some DAP Silicone-Be-Gone from acehardware.com and had it delivered free to a local store.
Kerry227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:03 AM   #51

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I've looked for it at our local Ace with no success.
They do carry De-Solv-It, Contractors Solvent which works well on silicone.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:55 PM   #52

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I have been removing the silicon snake from my belly band. Could not get the DAP product but tried out Mckanica Silicone Caulk Remover Gel and Motsenbocker Lift Off.

It was 57 - 60 degrees fahrenheit for most of my work. Prior to using the softeners I used a plastic putty knife to remove "the rope" and as much loose caulk as possible.

The McKanica was $10 at Ace hardware for a 3 oz. tube with an applicator tip. Motsenbocker was $5 at HomeDepot (darn near everyone carried it) for 4.5 oz and came in a bottle with flip up nozzle like house hold oil.

I had to cut the McKanica tip back to the 3rd joint to even squeeze it out, the stuff is very stiff. It came out like little rabbit turds that fell off the tip. I found I could spread it with my finger wearing a disposable plastic glove. Left it on for a little over the 3 hrs recommended. Wiped with paper towels. Then scraped with the plastic putty knife wiping glop off on a paper towel. Got down in the grove with a small stiff auto detail brush. I think it would take two tubes to do my 13 ft scamp belly band.

McKnanica worked ok. There are a few spots that required more work to get the remaining caulk but after 3 hrs it was pretty easy to remove most of it. Note it did raise a tarnish like film on the alum. belly band but that wiped off easily with a paper towel and a rinse rag.

The Motsenbocker I dribbled on, it was pretty thick a little thicker than wood or elmers glue. Spread gently with a tooth brush. Left it on for a 5 minutes and scraped with plastic putty knife. It thickened somewhat as it sat. Found going at the caulk with a stiff auto detail brush before scraping helped. You might get away with a single bottle but plan on two.

Motesenbocker worked ok. But tended to require repeated applications to remove the thicker caulk residue. Leaving on for a couple of extra minutes seemed to help. It did not so much dissolve the caulk as break down it's bond, 1/4 inch band treated then scraped off left an 1/8 inch band which after another application scraped off.

I would say the McKanica is better at bulk removal but I found the Motesenbocker better for getting rid of the small residue spots since it does not require a multi hour wait. Only a gloved finger worked well for spreading the McKanica so plan on having those.

Note both of these products would probably damage your decals so plan on masking those off with some protective news paper and watch for drips. McKanica being so thick it really won't drip when you apply but at removal while it is still thick it could drop a glop on your pin stripes or logo.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #53

Trailer: 1993 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Lowe's didn't have the "DAP Silicone-Be-Gone" here in Fargo but it was at Fleet Farm... some cities it may be called Mills Fleet Farm or Farm & Fleet.
barryra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:37 PM   #54

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
A combination of Bestine (a solvent for silicone caulks) and Scotchbrite will remove the stuff. I wouldn't say it's fun but you're not gonna melt a 1/2" bead of the stuff even with a gel.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:48 PM   #55

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
I got most of my thick belly band removed with the Motesenbocker, but it was a lot of work and there is still lot's of significant residue. I just got two bottles of the DAP at ACE Hardware and will try to get it clean before re-caulking with Sikaflex 505 UV.

If anyone thinks Sikaflex 505 UV is not a good choice or thinks they have a better one, speak now or forever hold your peace. Or at least hold your peace for hopefully many years when I'll eventually do it again.
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:16 AM   #56

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
The DAP package states not to let it dry, but I left some on, a thick coat, ovetnight. Seemed pretty dryish, but the silicon pulled off like butter. So perhaps best not to leave it s very long time, but overnight is how I plan to use it in the future.

The Sikaflex 505UV was kind of messy, but I think I got a nice durable seal on there. Not quiet as pretty and smooth as Id like. Perhaps theres some white tape or something I could put on there for a more polished look.
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:13 PM   #57

Trailer: 89 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Great thread! I'll take photos but trust me, the amount of silicone on our Scamp (in and out) is INSANE! Two questions:
1. Did anyone try it inside? Results?
2. What should I use instead? I guess the belly band needs something but I would like to use something, anything but silicone.

Love this forum!
Old 01-06-2013, 02:03 PM   #58

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve and Rosemary View Post
Great thread! I guess the belly band needs something but I would like to use something, anything but silicone.
I have been s l o w l y remvoving silicone. Does the belly band need resealing after removal or can it just be left "naked"?!

Oh, and how do u really select quotes? (I know my ignorance is showing-)
Mark J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:18 PM   #59

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark J View Post
Oh, and how do u really select quotes? (I know my ignorance is showing-)
You need to make sure the [and ] brackets are intact when you shorten a quote.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:09 PM   #60

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Mark, I just added the /[ back in front of the ending this QUOTE] at the end of the quote you made.

Basically when you quote someone, and remove some irrelevant parts to keep it simple, you must make certain you leave the [QUOTE] [/QUOTE] BB code tags intact on each end.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote