Silly little awning question - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2017, 04:20 PM   #21

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
The A/C is basting cool air, but it should be pulling warm or hot air out of the trailer.
The idea is that you recirculate the air, with each pass cooling it more.
If you have the intake and return too close you may be pulling the cool air out and not the warm air.
You may have to extend the return to near the top of the trailer to pull that hot air back to the air conditioner.
The cold air might be best directed to you, but if it goes to the bottom you should fill the trailer up with cold air, but then you may be gaining more heat than the A/C can remove.
Usually it is best to return the inside air to the A/C with the thought that it has been dehumidified reducing the total load on the A/C. Hopefully it is also cooler than the outside air.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 03:55 AM   #22

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
If you can prevent some of the solar gain build up by deflecting it from the exterior surface then you have much more of a fighting chance to be comfortable while you work.

Here is how I deal with keeping the heat under control. I also use my FGRV as an office/workshop space.

If you can keep the direct sun from hitting the glass on the exterior that will really help keep the heat build up in the interior under control. The window glass absorbs and holds onto the heat of the sun which of course then radiates that heat to the interior. I tape Reflectix on the exterior of the windows that are on the south and west side and it makes a significant difference in how hot my FGRV gets. Some people will also place Reflextic material across the exterior of the roof of the RV and that too makes a big difference. Of course you are not going to travel with it in place but your goal is stated as needed to keep cool while you are in it when parked in your driveway.

In the long run there are only so many degrees of cooling you can get out of a small air conditioner given its BTU output and the square footage. There should be some information online or in your manual stating how many degrees your unit can lower the temperature for "X" number of square feet. That testing will have been done in regards to the lowering of the temperature according to the ambient air temperature. So even on a hot day in the shade you can only get a limited number of degrees of relief out of an air conditioner.

My upgrade improvement this summer will be to install some special snap bases on the exterior by the windows and put the matching snap part onto some reflextic panels. That will allow me to quickly remove and install the window coverings. I have found that the mylar on it stays in pretty good condition for up to 3 years at which time I just cut new panels.

Sailrite - Fabric, Canvas, and Sewing Machines Since 1969 If the link is not direct go to sailrite.com and type "snads" in the search area. They are the special snaps I am going to install, they do not require any drilling of holes. They have VHB tape on the surface for mounting them. This version is being sold by Sailrite and they are rated for exterior use in a marine environment. I will only purchase the base piece of the SNAD which mounts to the trailer body. I can put a regular die mounted mating snap into the Reflextic panel which will have a square of reinforcing fabric front and backside at the places I install the snaps.

Here is an installation video for the Snads.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:48 AM   #23

Florida
The snaps are a great idea, I haven't seen this before.
Another thing that could be used is self stick Velcro in the appropriate places.
It sticks pretty well and can be replaced easily if needed.
We use the Reflectex or a moral equivalent for light duty pipe insulation here in the South at our water treatment plane.
It doesn't get colded enough to need the full blown heat tracing and insulation, but some heat tape and the reflectex takes care of the pipes wel below freezing and so far it has held up well in the harsh sun.
(The build specs don't call of the insulation because it only gets cold enough to freeze and burst pipes a couple of times a year!)
Old 04-06-2017, 01:41 PM   #24

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1978 13' Scamp
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
The air conditioner you have may or not do the job but the way you have it wont work. You need to extend your hoses or raise the unit up on a pedestal at roof line and have the air conditioner hoses go through the roof vent. The discharge hose blowing out needs to be directly situated to blow into to your work area from above. The return duct needs to stay at the roof but extended so it sucks in the warm air furthest from the discharge but at the roof line.

Cold air drops to the floor, hot air rises so suck up the hot so it doesnt mix with the cold and let the cold air fall in your work space then mixes with the room air and as the air warms up it gets sucks out. You don't want hot air leaking in and you don't want cold air leaking out. Cooling the warm air going into the suction duct is much easier than cooling 100F air from outside. Open your roof vent, remove screen, put in your suction and discharge hose and then pack the opening with some soft foam like from a sofa cushion.

Any shading for the trailer will help as will light colors which is why these trailers are predominately white to reflect heat. Get a 10 X 10 or larger easy-up and extend the legs and put it over your trailer to block the heat of the day. Dual purpose, take it camping with you.
Hi Steve -- Thank you for your advice. It's logical and makes sense -- it is unfortunate that all the videos that Climate Rite have put on YouTube explaining the installation process don't allude to any idea related to ducting from the top of the trailer. I think they market it as a portable device to rest on your tow bar/fork and duct from the side. They also have limitations on the length of the ducting. I'll see if I can make adjustments!
morbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:43 PM   #25

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
The A/C is basting cool air, but it should be pulling warm or hot air out of the trailer.
The idea is that you recirculate the air, with each pass cooling it more.
If you have the intake and return too close you may be pulling the cool air out and not the warm air.
You may have to extend the return to near the top of the trailer to pull that hot air back to the air conditioner.
The cold air might be best directed to you, but if it goes to the bottom you should fill the trailer up with cold air, but then you may be gaining more heat than the A/C can remove.
Usually it is best to return the inside air to the A/C with the thought that it has been dehumidified reducing the total load on the A/C. Hopefully it is also cooler than the outside air.
Thanks for the information. I see what you're saying. I guess I figured the vent/return was insignificant since I was drawing the hot air out of the scamp with the reverse ceiling fan, and also thought most wall/window a/c didn't have a return.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:49 PM   #26

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
If you can prevent some of the solar gain build up by deflecting it from the exterior surface then you have much more of a fighting chance to be comfortable while you work.

Here is how I deal with keeping the heat under control. I also use my FGRV as an office/workshop space.

If you can keep the direct sun from hitting the glass on the exterior that will really help keep the heat build up in the interior under control. The window glass absorbs and holds onto the heat of the sun which of course then radiates that heat to the interior. I tape Reflectix on the exterior of the windows that are on the south and west side and it makes a significant difference in how hot my FGRV gets. Some people will also place Reflextic material across the exterior of the roof of the RV and that too makes a big difference. Of course you are not going to travel with it in place but your goal is stated as needed to keep cool while you are in it when parked in your driveway.

In the long run there are only so many degrees of cooling you can get out of a small air conditioner given its BTU output and the square footage. There should be some information online or in your manual stating how many degrees your unit can lower the temperature for "X" number of square feet. That testing will have been done in regards to the lowering of the temperature according to the ambient air temperature. So even on a hot day in the shade you can only get a limited number of degrees of relief out of an air conditioner.

My upgrade improvement this summer will be to install some special snap bases on the exterior by the windows and put the matching snap part onto some reflextic panels. That will allow me to quickly remove and install the window coverings. I have found that the mylar on it stays in pretty good condition for up to 3 years at which time I just cut new panels.

Sailrite - Fabric, Canvas, and Sewing Machines Since 1969 If the link is not direct go to sailrite.com and type "snads" in the search area. They are the special snaps I am going to install, they do not require any drilling of holes. They have VHB tape on the surface for mounting them. This version is being sold by Sailrite and they are rated for exterior use in a marine environment. I will only purchase the base piece of the SNAD which mounts to the trailer body. I can put a regular die mounted mating snap into the Reflextic panel which will have a square of reinforcing fabric front and backside at the places I install the snaps.

Here is an installation video for the Snads.
I'm definitely going to try the Reflectex on the outer south and east facing window (west faces a fence and doesn't get sunlight on it). I'll look into the snads as well, thank you! I think I'm also going to try a less-expensive shading option with a pop-up or something just to test if shading works -- if I get good results I'll look into a nicer-looking shade system (sails, retractable awning, etc). I appreciate all the great advice from seasoned trailer owners!
Old 04-06-2017, 06:42 PM   #27

Florida
All advice worth price paid and standard disclaimers apply:

Standard Disclaimer

This product is meant for educational purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Void where prohibited. Some assembly required. List each check separately by bank number. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Postage will be paid by addressee. Subject to CAB approval. This is not an offer to sell securities. Apply only to affected area. May be too intense for some viewers. Do not stamp. Use other side for additional listings. For recreational use only. Do not disturb. All models over 18 years of age. If condition persists, consult your physician. No user-serviceable parts inside. Freshest if eaten before date on carton. Subject to change without notice. Times approximate. Simulated picture. No postage necessary if mailed in the United States. Please remain seated until the ride has come to a complete stop. Breaking seal constitutes acceptance of agreement. For off-road use only. As seen on TV. One size fits all. Many suitcases look alike. Contains a substantial amount of non-tobacco ingredients. Colors may, in time, fade. We have sent the forms which seem right for you. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Not affiliated with the American Red Cross. Drop in any mailbox. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly. Post office will not deliver without postage. List was current at time of printing. Return to sender, no forwarding order on file, unable to forward. Not responsible for direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages resulting from any defect, error or failure to perform. At participating locations only. Not the Beatles. Penalty for private use. See label for sequence. Substantial penalty for early withdrawal. Do not write below this line. Falling rock. Lost ticket pays maximum rate. Nap was here. Your canceled check is your receipt. Add toner. Place stamp here. Avoid contact with skin. Sanitized for your protection. Be sure each item is properly endorsed. Sign here without admitting guilt. Slightly higher west of the Mississippi. Employees and their families are not eligible. Beware of dog. Contestants have been briefed on some questions before the show. Limited time offer, call now to ensure prompt delivery. You must be present to win. No passes accepted for this engagement. No purchase necessary. Processed at location stamped in code at top of carton. Shading within a garment may occur. Use only in a well-ventilated area. Keep away from fire or flames. Replace with same type. Approved for veterans. Booths for two or more. Check here if tax deductible. Some equipment shown is optional. Price does not include taxes. No Canadian coins. Not recommended for children. Prerecorded for this time zone. Reproduction strictly prohibited. No solicitors. No alcohol, dogs or horses. No anchovies unless otherwise specified. Restaurant package, not for resale. List at least two alternate dates. First pull up, then pull down. Call toll free number before digging. Driver does not carry cash. Some of the trademarks mentioned in this product appear for identification purposes only. Objects in mirror may be closer than they appear. Record additional transactions on back of previous stub. Unix is a registered trademark of AT&T. Do not fold, spindle or mutilate. No transfers issued until the bus comes to a complete stop. Package sold by weight, not volume. Your mileage may vary. If the flow controls supplied are not installed, this unit will not operate properly. Keep out of reach of children. When this set is used with other equipment, if the picture is not stable or the buzz sound is heard, try to change the mutual position of relevant equipment or take enough distance between them. This unit not labeled for retail sale. Phenylketonurics: contains phenylalanine. Close cover before striking. Mind the gap. No merchantability expressed or implied. Parental discretion is advised. Sold as a novelty item only. Although robust enough for general use, adventures into the esoteric periphery may reveal unexpected quirks. Not available in stores. May cause abdominal cramping and loose stools. Vitamins A, D, E, and K have been added. Not designed or intended for use in on-line control of aircraft, air traffic, aircraft navigation or aircraft communications; or in the design, construction, operation or maintenance of any nuclear facility. Container may explode if heated. May contain traces of various nuts and seeds.

This supersedes all previous notices.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:45 AM   #28

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by morbank View Post
I'm definitely going to try the Reflectex on the outer south and east facing window (west faces a fence and doesn't get sunlight on it). I'll look into the snads as well, thank you! I think I'm also going to try a less-expensive shading option with a pop-up or something just to test if shading works -- if I get good results I'll look into a nicer-looking shade system (sails, retractable awning, etc). I appreciate all the great advice from seasoned trailer owners!
The issue with putting a popup over the top of the trailer for shade is you need to have sufficient air movement over the surface of the trailer to remove the heat that can build up underneath of the pop up tent. I know that on my little Campster which is not at all very tall when I have a pop up shelter over it that there is very little clearance space underneath and the hot air can get trapped inside of the shelter.

If you are going to get a popup shelter to put over it do get one that has a reflective, metalized, coating on the fabric surface as well as a vented peak to let the rising hot air escape outside up at the top of it. Those cost about $280.00 online from several sources. No point in causing even more trapped heat which can indeed happen.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:54 AM   #29

Name: Billy Sharpstick
Trailer: Scamp 13 - 2005
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
If you are going to get a popup shelter to put over it do get one that has a reflective, metalized, coating on the fabric surface.
I'll second that. I've been under a parachute "shade" structure, and it was like being in a greenhouse! (Cheap translucent tarps aren't much better.)And I've been under a completely opaque tarp and was in nice cool shade. Silver metallic tarp top is the best color.
sharpstick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning