Similar question- what have we done? - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-25-2018, 01:30 PM   #1
Member
 
Name: Jude
Trailer: Casita
Connecticut
Posts: 62
Similar question- what have we done?

Sue, we feel your pain.

We are getting ready for our next trip and just went out to our 2018 Spirit D. to get it ready.
No lights or fan.

How did the battery run down and how can we avoid this again?

Most importantly, how do we get it charged?
Once again, asking for you guys to save us.
Thanks.
__________________

Jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 02:01 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Posts: 2,600
Registry
Batteries run down. How long has your trailer been in storage? If you are leaving your trailer on a storage lot, its better to pull the battery and keep it on a battery tender. I keep everything that has a battery and doesn't get daily use on the tender: Miata, motorcycle, riding mower.

On our Escape, its parked at home, and the battery is in the front storage box, so its really easy to just keep it on a tender.
__________________

thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 02:18 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Mike Magee's Avatar
 
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Posts: 5,815
Plugging the Casita's electric cord into your house outlet (30A to 20A adapter may be needed) should allow the converter to recharge the battery. Or you can use a common automotive battery charger on the trailer's 12V battery, just attach the alligator clips onto the battery posts.


Not only do batteries discharge slowly all by themselves, they also can get bled dry by a light or water pump or fan left on, or by always-on, low-power items in the trailer you may not be consciously aware of... such as propane or carbon monoxide detectors. Or there could be an electrical short. Or maybe your battery is on its last legs and needs to be replaced; after a full charge and a rest period, check the voltage which should be around 12.8V on a fairly new battery but 12.2V or less on one that's about had it.


If your storage place has no electric hookup, you can dismount the battery and take it home with you so you can keep it on a battery minder (trickle charger) or give it a monthly recharge with some other type of charger (if you can remember!). Or to charge the battery on the stored trailer, you could get a solar panel and controller.
__________________
In the '60s, people took LSD to make the world seem weird.
Now the world is weird, and people take Prozac to make it seem normal.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 02:30 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Jon Vermilye's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Posts: 1,925
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude View Post
Sue, we feel your pain.

We are getting ready for our next trip and just went out to our 2018 Spirit D. to get it ready.
No lights or fan.

How did the battery run down and how can we avoid this again?

Most importantly, how do we get it charged?
Once again, asking for you guys to save us.
Thanks.
I stuck some suggestions on your "Camping in the Driveway" thread.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 03:21 PM   #5
Member
 
Name: Jude
Trailer: Casita
Connecticut
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Plugging the Casita's electric cord into your house outlet (30A to 20A adapter may be needed) should allow the converter to recharge the battery. Or you can use a common automotive battery charger on the trailer's 12V battery, just attach the alligator clips onto the battery posts.


Not only do batteries discharge slowly all by themselves, they also can get bled dry by a light or water pump or fan left on, or by always-on, low-power items in the trailer you may not be consciously aware of... such as propane or carbon monoxide detectors. Or there could be an electrical short. Or maybe your battery is on its last legs and needs to be replaced; after a full charge and a rest period, check the voltage which should be around 12.8V on a fairly new battery but 12.2V or less on one that's about had it.


If your storage place has no electric hookup, you can dismount the battery and take it home with you so you can keep it on a battery minder (trickle charger) or give it a monthly recharge with some other type of charger (if you can remember!). Or to charge the battery on the stored trailer, you could get a solar panel and controller.
Thanks Kindly
Jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 03:22 PM   #6
Member
 
Name: Jude
Trailer: Casita
Connecticut
Posts: 62
Thank you kindly!
Jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 03:22 PM   #7
Member
 
Name: Jude
Trailer: Casita
Connecticut
Posts: 62
Thank you. We're on it! (Or so we think)
Jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 03:24 PM   #8
Member
 
Name: Jude
Trailer: Casita
Connecticut
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Batteries run down. How long has your trailer been in storage? If you are leaving your trailer on a storage lot, its better to pull the battery and keep it on a battery tender. I keep everything that has a battery and doesn't get daily use on the tender: Miata, motorcycle, riding mower.

On our Escape, its parked at home, and the battery is in the front storage box, so its really easy to just keep it on a tender.
Our Casita has been sitting in the driveway for about 4 weeks.
We will try charging the battery.
Once we head out on Thursday, the TV should take care if it needs further charging - correct?
Jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 04:14 PM   #9
Administrator
 
Mary F's Avatar
 
Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Posts: 10,284
Registry
How old is your battery?
__________________
Mary F Fiberglass Rules!
________________________________
FGRV Forum Custom Search
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 04:25 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Posts: 2,600
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude View Post
Our Casita has been sitting in the driveway for about 4 weeks.
We will try charging the battery.
Once we head out on Thursday, the TV should take care if it needs further charging - correct?
Unless the battery was drained too far. Explained better on your other thread, RV batteries don’t tolerate being drained below 50%. Since it is so new hopefully you will be ok.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 04:27 PM   #11
Member
 
Name: Jude
Trailer: Casita
Connecticut
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
How old is your battery?


2 months old. 2018 Casita SD
Jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 04:38 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Posts: 3,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude View Post
2 months old. 2018 Casita SD

Hey Jude...


Read this, especially the Care of Batteries section. And...

Remember to keep your battery charged,
Then you can start to make it better.

And anytime you feel the drain, hey Jude, refrain...
Don't let your battery get too discharged or get corroded.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 04:51 PM   #13
Member
 
Name: Jude
Trailer: Casita
Connecticut
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post


Hey Jude...




Read this, especially the Care of Batteries section. And...



Remember to keep your battery charged,

Then you can start to make it better.



And anytime you feel the drain, hey Jude, refrain...

Don't let your battery get too discharged or get corroded.


Excellent-just watched James Corden & Paul M in karaoke carpool!
Thanks for the info and the laughs.
Jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:50 PM   #14
Member
 
Name: Lynn
Trailer: Scamp
New York
Posts: 74
I keep our '06 Scamp plugged in year round at home to keep the battery up. That way, even if you happen to leave a light on, you're OK. You can even leave your fridge on (mine has beer in it in the summer) so you're ready to go any time.
Lynn Eberhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:26 PM   #15
Member
 
Name: Jude
Trailer: Casita
Connecticut
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Eberhardt View Post
I keep our '06 Scamp plugged in year round at home to keep the battery up. That way, even if you happen to leave a light on, you're OK. You can even leave your fridge on (mine has beer in it in the summer) so you're ready to go any time.
Thank you! Good to know.
Jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:33 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Name: Wayne & Barbara
Trailer: Parkliner
Iowa
Posts: 1,033
If it is easy to get at, you can simply disconnect the wire from the negative (-) post of the battery when in storage; to keep those parasitic loads away.
Why do batteries "self discharge"? Dirt and moisture on top will create a path for electrons to pass from one terminal to the other. So, keep the battery clean and dry.
Or, you can add a master disconnect switch.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 12:08 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Kai in Seattle's Avatar
 
Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Posts: 2,567
Registry
Gordon 2:

need more verses--well done!

Kai
__________________
Semper ubi sub ubi.
Kai in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 11:38 AM   #18
Junior Member
 
Name: Paul
Trailer: Casita
New Mexico
Posts: 9
Hi Jude,

Do you know if your 12V battery is a flooded battery or AGM battery?

Thanks and good luck,
Paul
AD5SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 12:53 PM   #19
Junior Member
 
Name: Ian
Trailer: 75 boler 1300
Ontario
Posts: 2
I leave mine on a timeclock so it goes on once a day for an hour. Keeps the battery charged and runs a dehumidifier that keeps it fresh and dry.
imacd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 01:41 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
John in Santa Cruz's Avatar
 
Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Posts: 1,912
I recommend getting an inexpensive battery monitor you can plug into the cigar plug on the trailer. remember to only 'trust' its reading when all loads are shut off...

trailer just sitting there, no solar, no AC charging going on, ideally 12.6V or so, if its 12.1V thats about as discharged as I like to let the battery get.

AC plugged in so the charger is running, while its actively charging, it coudl read as high as 14.4V or more, but once the battery is fully charged, the maintenance voltage should be around 13.2-13.6V... if it stays much above 13.6V for more than a full day, you have an old 'stupid' charger, and it should be unplugged for long term storage, maybe plugged in for 24 hours once a month.

I use this cheap one.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EVWDU0

it draws /very/ little current, so you can leave it plugged in pretty much all the time, or just plug it in when you want to take a reading.
__________________

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Insulation re-do & adhesive woes - what could we have done differe Michael M Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 13 04-21-2019 06:59 PM
My Reno Is Done! (well, 98% done.) BigEast General Chat 5 08-25-2013 11:12 PM
A few mods my parents have done Phil Underwood Modifications, Alterations and Updates 6 12-26-2008 11:10 AM
what have I done.....I need guidance!!! WNY area LaurieK Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 21 05-28-2008 05:57 AM
What have we done? Keith Williams General Chat 7 02-25-2007 06:28 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
×