Simple and Quick Awning for window - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2014, 07:18 AM   #1

Trailer: Trillium
Registry
Simple and Quick Awning for window

When I am in Florida during the winter the temps can get quite warm, especially since I don't have an AC. However, on Hutchison's Is. there is always a cooling breeze off the ocean. With all the windows in the Shunpiker (my 4500 Trillium) the inside of the camper can stay comfortable if I can keep the sun from shining inside and still let the breeze blow unimpeded through.

I use the insulated windscreen shades (used for a car's front window) as a quick and simple awning. Held in place with a couple clamps they work perfectly. And when not needed they fold compactly for the next time. I think they could do double duty to insulate the windows on the inside during a cold spell as well.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0913.jpg   IMG_0973.jpg  

IMG_0974.jpg   IMG_0975.jpg  

Noreen Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:22 AM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
nice!! I'm jealous of your jalousie...
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:00 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
nice!! I'm jealous of your jalousie...
Me TOO!

No one says something has to be beautiful to be effective. You've found a solution that works well for you and since you've shared... it may work well for others in the same situation.

Cool BEANS!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:42 PM   #4

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Good idea, I like that, very simple and works.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:35 AM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Trillium and 1989 Bigfoot (named 'Swanky')
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Donna R
Thank you for a simple but brilliant idea.Will be using it too.

When our Trillium is out of storage I will also be working on ideas for a fridge vent awning..........thinking those spring edged silver window shades (support and tauntness) and........strings .......... and magnets.....and.........
Well, lets just say its a work in progress!
Any ideas?
Donna R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:10 AM   #6

Registry
Thanks for the feedback re. the window awnings. I found it handy bc it's so easy and simple.

Donna R, what a good idea you have for the frig vent shade. I tried to think of some way to make a simple shade for that area too. My frig was able to keep the food cool and make ice cubes....but just. It was better on the gas setting than electric. But if I could have shaded it from outside it would probably been better.

I will buy one of the shades you mentioned and find some way to attach it when needed. Got the 'wheels' turning. Ha ha
Old 04-18-2014, 04:38 PM   #7

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
The reflectors are handy for inside use too......

These are from Dollar General. They come in a few different sizes, about $3 each.

I use them to keep the sun off the curtains while the trailer is in the yard. Otherwise the sun will fade the curtains and degrade the fabric.

Just got these curtains made by my handy seamstress sister-in-law.

The reflector fold up nicely with elastic straps to keep them flat.

I used cable ties in the upper corners so I could hang them on curtain rod holders.

Wish I had jalousie windows on my Compact Jr.
Attached Thumbnails
sunshade composite.jpg  
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:16 PM   #8

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
noreen---great idea! and not only am i jealous of your jalousie windows, but i am jealous that you were down in florida while i've been here enduring the winter-that-wouldn't-end!!!!!

a number of years ago, when we were in gamble rogers state park near daytona, we ran into
alistair and inge camelford. he had made up a cover for his cooler that was the same car window shade as you used, formed with duct tape to make a form-fitting cover and it worked like a dream to keep the heat away from the cooler....and we've copied it and used it ever since!! simple but effective..just like your window shades. now, i've just got to get me some jalousies....
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:01 PM   #9

Registry
Hi Theresa, I understand the east coast continues to have winter weather. So sorry. This winter will be one we will remember for a long time. I hope spring comes your way soon.

I did get to Florida.....although much later than I usually go. It was great to have a break from the snow and cold.

Alistair's idea sounds like a good one too. I will remember it as there are times when I still use my ice cooler. As John Madill points out, these reflective shades can be bought for next to nothing and used in various ways. Ideas that are effective and very little cost.

I am really looking forward to Cobourg's Eggs on the Run. Will you be there this year? Hope to see you.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:05 PM   #10

Registry
Would those strong 'locking' suction cups be an option for the fridge vent shade? You could lock them in place and attach the shade to the handles. It would naturally be held away from the vent by the depth of the suction cups.
Attached Thumbnails
image_18136.jpg  
Old 04-18-2014, 08:54 PM   #11

Registry
Good idea, Pam. And if one used the spring loaded shades as Donna R suggested, and set the suction cups in such a way the shades were 'bowed' over the vent it would insure there was sufficient air circulation......perhaps.

I can hardly wait to try it!
Old 04-19-2014, 01:35 PM   #12

Registry
Question for Pam
Interesting suction cups.......have never seen any like these.
Where are they from please?
Have purchased some from famous Lee Valley Tools here, but very disappointed in their staying stuck power!
Thanks for any info.
Donna R
Old 04-19-2014, 02:05 PM   #13

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Would those strong 'locking' suction cups be an option for the fridge vent shade? You could lock them in place and attach the shade to the handles. It would naturally be held away from the vent by the depth of the suction cups.
I have a set of those to MacGyver a screen over my door, and they stick very nicely, as long as they are on a flat-ish section of fuselage.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 05:38 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna R View Post
Question for Pam
Interesting suction cups.......have never seen any like these.
Where are they from please?
Have purchased some from famous Lee Valley Tools here, but very disappointed in their staying stuck power!
Thanks for any info.
Donna R
I just pulled the image off the internet to use as an example, so I don't really have any info on what brand. Probably you'd have to try different ones?
Old 04-29-2014, 01:21 PM   #15

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 197? Beachcomber
Manitoba
Quote:
I just pulled the image off the internet to use as an example, so I don't really have any info on what brand. Probably you'd have to try different ones?
Those look like dent pullers that are used by body shops to remove dents in the body panels of cars. I have a pair of cheap ones that don't work at all to remove dents.
goggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:16 PM   #16

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Harbor Freight has the single cup dent puller type shown by Pam in both plastic and aluminum. I've tested quite a number on steel store shelving and the lids of gallon body filler cans which happen to be nearby. I didn't find many that held reliably. They also have the double cup "dumbbell" glass lifter type. I have four (selected from about a dozen available). Two of them seal reliably to hold the rope ends on my tarp awning. You (and I) get what you pay for. Surface can't have much curvature or the double cup design won't seal both ends.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:48 PM   #17

Name: Janice & Rick
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
Registry
I don't understand the idea of shading the vent on the outside for the fridge - please explain? I really like the reflecting shades on the outside windows - I will definitely keep that in mind. My trailer cushions were just picked up for reupholstering!!!! Camping can't come soon enough - we have not had our Trillium 1300 out yet - bought her in Oct last year!
JRTrillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:49 PM   #18

Name: Janice & Rick
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
Registry
Please explain wanting to shade the vent on the outside?
JRTrillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:45 PM   #19

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Might help the fridge to cool better. That, and some fans blowing up from the top of the bottom vent.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 03:44 PM   #20

Registry
Have jerry rigged.....but very poorly...... a silver reflective shade screen over the fridge vent before in 100 degree weather when there was no ability to be in the shade. Wind was not kind to my makeshift arrangement, but , when in place, it did made a substantial different in the gas cooling ability of the fridge.
Just want to figure out a more wind proof version.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it!

Tags
awning