Sleeping Bags - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2013, 11:15 AM   #1

Trailer: 2003 13 ft Scamp
Sleeping Bags

Looking for suggestions for sleeping bags for my and wife and I. Been shopping online but would like to know how people feel about their bags. Thanks
russelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #2

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Maybe its just me, but I use a comforter from home. I should carry my emergency -20' mummy bag in case the voltage drops during the night and the heater stops running lol... but Im gonna get a plug in volt meter just to keep an eye on battery voltage so I wont be surprised.

So why are you thinking sleeping bags vs comforter?

deryk
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:35 AM   #3

Trailer: 2003 13 ft Scamp
I should clarify. We like the bags for convenience. They are for use in our 13' Scamp with a furnace. Sometime we also decide to sleep in the bunks so the bags make more sense to us..
russelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:51 AM   #4

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I use a sleeping bag in the trailer as well. I got a flannel lined, flannel or cotton exterior +40 degree bag. Cabelas if I recall. I only smooth it out in the morning since I leave the back bed set up. Sometimes I lay on it for a nap or before turning out the lights for the night and I despise lying on those slippery nylon shelled bags. I usually run the heater on cool nights and much warmer than a +40 bag is too hot fo rme.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:26 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
We use a pair of rectangular 40 degree bags from REI. I think they can be zipped together, though I haven't tried it. No need to go high tech or ultra light weight.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:33 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
We use sleeping bags that are rated at around 40 F. We actually bought cheap Wal-Mart bags for about $10.00 each. I'm still using mine after 7 years. Anne wasn't staying warm enough at 55 degrees so we got her a30 degree bag.
The furnace is set to 55 degrees at night. There's thousands of sleeping bags on the market. I would suggest something not to expensive, if it doesn't work for you it's not difficult to try another.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:14 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I have some good down bags, one of them for extreme cold, but like others, in the trailer I am a flannel sheet and duvet guy all the way. While you can't beat bags for warmth, I find them terrible comfort wise. I love to hang my feet out to regulate temperature if I can.

If I were to use a bag, I would get one not too warm, and as large of a rectangular one as I can find. If using it a lot, you should either wear jammies, or use a liner, as perspiration will mung them up on the inside, and they are not usually as easy to wash as sheets.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
We've tried the duvet and sheets. It's a killer to make the bed and everything becomes untucked and twisted during the night.
We've gone back to sleeping bags, one light weight and one heavy, zipped together. Can have the heavy one on top if it's cold or the light one, when warm.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:10 PM   #9

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
RIE and their website has a good selection of bags. MEC website (Canadian version of REI) has some tutorials on what the bag differences are and what might work best for you.Sleeping Bag Information - Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC) I'm an ex-tenter and have a down barrel bag (half way between mummy and rectangle) rated to -3C (27F) and it's way to warm for in the trailer. It's better to be on the cold side as it's easier to ad a blanket than opening the bag. Don't worry about the interior material, and as Jim mentioned, use a liner. One of the better investments I've made.

I too still like the bag for ease of set up and take down in the trailer. Also did what Glen mentioned with two different temperature rated bags
(#183)
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:43 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
We've tried the duvet and sheets. It's a killer to make the bed and everything becomes untucked and twisted during the night.
Does this not happen at home then too? Or, are you two just a little wilder when on the road?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:55 PM   #11

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
LL Bean is also a good source for bags still made locally.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:01 PM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by russelld View Post
Looking for suggestions for sleeping bags for my and wife and I. Been shopping online but would like to know how people feel about their bags. Thanks
My wife & I share a "BIG BERTHA" double mummy style bag that we bought on-line. It is reversable (Heavy top & thin bottom) for very cold or just flip it over for warmish nights. It has a drawstring hood, pockets for pillows, and a pocket for a thin mattress (we use that feature for when we tent). We have a liner for it that we have used instead of the bag during hot summer nights. This bag easily stows away during the day, and easily sets up for sleeping, as our bed is also our table in our 13 foot Scamp. Used this method for 60 straight days/nights this past summer.
Hope this helps.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:59 PM   #13

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I'm responding to your question about sleeping bags with the broader answer to "How do I make the bed in our trailer the most comfie?" I, too, agree with the comforter preference folks. Sleeping bags were OK while camping in a tent or backpacking but I consider camping in my trailer to be "glamping" and I want comfort. If I were to get a pre-made sleeping bag I would go for the ones LL Bean sells. Their "Camp Sleeping Bags" range in price from $69 -109, come in a variety of sizes/weights, are fleece lined, they zip together and, since they are rectangular, they can also be used as comforters.

Following is a reply I posted some time ago...

We had the same concerns for our 2011 13' Scamp. The seating cushions turned out to be so uncomfortable (like sleeping on a table) we finally splurged and purchased a 2" memory foam topper from Target for about $30. I cut the foam to the exact size of the bed then cut it into two long strips each 22 1/2" wide by 76" long. One cushion is a rectangle and the other has two curves to match the inside of the Scamp. I covered each memory foam piece with 100% cotton knit (think T-shirt soft) as if it were a cushion, with a zipper on the end. Now we have the softest, cushiest, mattress pad! We sleep right on the pad and on top of us we place one or more comforters depending on the temperature. In warmer weather we sleep between the two comforters; one on top and one on the bottom. This method eliminates the need for sheets. We wash the mattress cover and comforters (as needed) after each trip.

As for storage; each 1/2 mattress cover rolls into a cylinder about 22 1/2" wide by 10" high (each one is about the size of one sleeping bag). We secure the roll with luggage straps and store the rolls under the dinette bench (see photo). The bigger question is where to store the comforters! I have several solutions. #1) For when I leave the bed set up for the day. (see photo) Fold the comforter in half (mine are about 90" wide by 76" long) so they are 45" wide by 76" long. When folded this way they fit flat on top of the bed when it is set up and looks like a neatly made-up bed. #2) Fold the comforter in half and place over the dinette cushions (no photo). Put one comforter over each dinette chair and tuck in over the top, at the seat back and over the cushion front. This way the comforters add a decorative touch to the seats without requiring more storage space. #3 More recently, I roll the comforters over a cylinder (ask for an empty fabric roll from a fabric store) a little over 45" wide (2-3" diameter) and secure the roll with luggage straps (see photo). I place the roll resting between the dinette chairs spanning the leg space under the table (no photo). This way the comforters are out of the way and ready to use at a moment's notice without using precious cargo space!

I'd also like to share another bedding tip (see photos). You can see in my photos that I have two medium-weight comforters with two different designs. Depending on my decorating mood I put one or the other design on top. A big issue for my husband and me is the shifting of covers in the night. We each have different preferences for covers AND the covers tend to shift and fall off during the night. We ruled out sleeping bags or zippers connecting the comforters as being too confining and hot. The solution we came up with is to connect the comforters with loop and button connectors. It is easy for me to unbutton one comforter layer while my husband sleeps blissfully with two comforters!
Happy Camping,
Gilda
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Interior October 2011 023.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 024.jpg  

SCAMP Interior October 2011 022.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 025.jpg  

SCAMP Interior October 2011 026.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 027.jpg  

SCAMP Interior October 2011 031.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 032.jpg  

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:25 PM   #14

New Jersey
Registry
i am in complete agreement with Gilda, when I'm out with the egg, I'm trying to rock the comfort factor... and unless its really really cold, i would rather be curled up in a comfortable comforter relaxing in my bed. maybe if "just a friend" was shareing the bed, they can sleep in a sleeping bag lol.

deryk
Old 01-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #15

Trailer: 1975 Boler
Registry
My wife and I each have LaFuma 0 degree "warm and light" mummy bags that can zip together. It's weird to zip mummy bags together, but it works! We really like them and they are very compact and light enough to use backpacking too.
I'm not sure if they sell the exact model we have still, but they are well made, durable and warm. We got them on sale at REI for 65-75 bucks a few years ago.
We also bunk every now and then to keep the table up, so I can understand wanting a 'split-able' comforter.
Good luck shopping!
Evan Friesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:25 PM   #16

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot 1981 Trailer
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
I'm responding to your question about sleeping bags with the broader answer to "How do I make the bed in our trailer the most comfie?" I, too, agree with the comforter preference folks. Sleeping bags were OK while camping in a tent or backpacking but I consider camping in my trailer to be "glamping" and I want comfort. If I were to get a pre-made sleeping bag I would go for the ones LL Bean sells. Their "Camp Sleeping Bags" range in price from $69 -109, come in a variety of sizes/weights, are fleece lined, they zip together and, since they are rectangular, they can also be used as comforters.

Following is a reply I posted some time ago...

We had the same concerns for our 2011 13' Scamp. The seating cushions turned out to be so uncomfortable (like sleeping on a table) we finally splurged and purchased a 2" memory foam topper from Target for about $30. I cut the foam to the exact size of the bed then cut it into two long strips each 22 1/2" wide by 76" long. One cushion is a rectangle and the other has two curves to match the inside of the Scamp. I covered each memory foam piece with 100% cotton knit (think T-shirt soft) as if it were a cushion, with a zipper on the end. Now we have the softest, cushiest, mattress pad! We sleep right on the pad and on top of us we place one or more comforters depending on the temperature. In warmer weather we sleep between the two comforters; one on top and one on the bottom. This method eliminates the need for sheets. We wash the mattress cover and comforters (as needed) after each trip.

As for storage; each 1/2 mattress cover rolls into a cylinder about 22 1/2" wide by 10" high (each one is about the size of one sleeping bag). We secure the roll with luggage straps and store the rolls under the dinette bench (see photo). The bigger question is where to store the comforters! I have several solutions. #1) For when I leave the bed set up for the day. (see photo) Fold the comforter in half (mine are about 90" wide by 76" long) so they are 45" wide by 76" long. When folded this way they fit flat on top of the bed when it is set up and looks like a neatly made-up bed. #2) Fold the comforter in half and place over the dinette cushions (no photo). Put one comforter over each dinette chair and tuck in over the top, at the seat back and over the cushion front. This way the comforters add a decorative touch to the seats without requiring more storage space. #3 More recently, I roll the comforters over a cylinder (ask for an empty fabric roll from a fabric store) a little over 45" wide (2-3" diameter) and secure the roll with luggage straps (see photo). I place the roll resting between the dinette chairs spanning the leg space under the table (no photo). This way the comforters are out of the way and ready to use at a moment's notice without using precious cargo space!

I'd also like to share another bedding tip (see photos). You can see in my photos that I have two medium-weight comforters with two different designs. Depending on my decorating mood I put one or the other design on top. A big issue for my husband and me is the shifting of covers in the night. We each have different preferences for covers AND the covers tend to shift and fall off during the night. We ruled out sleeping bags or zippers connecting the comforters as being too confining and hot. The solution we came up with is to connect the comforters with loop and button connectors. It is easy for me to unbutton one comforter layer while my husband sleeps blissfully with two comforters!
Happy Camping,
Gilda
Gilda, Are you saying that you sleep only on the memory foam, or do you put the memory foam over the cushions.
jimmied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #17

New Jersey
Registry
Memory foam on top of the cushions
Old 01-03-2013, 09:39 PM   #18

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Yes, the memory foam goes on top of the cushions, then us, then the comforters with pillows under our heads.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:46 PM   #19

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
I try to NEVER wake up my

Sleeping Bag
Attached Thumbnails
YOU....!.jpg  
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:44 AM   #20

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
LL Bean is also a good source for bags still made locally.
I've been looking at the LL Bean sleeping bags too. Not too pricey and I like the look. Check them out. I'm going to go ahead and order a couple and can report back later if you don't get your sleeping bags right away.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote