Small concerns with my new camper trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2019, 05:40 AM   #1

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
Small concerns with my new camper trailer

So I've had my 13' Scamp for a month now. Obviously we have used it with a discriminating eye and had a few findings. Overall it was great on our maiden voyage. I did have some questions for Scamp that they have answered. I'm wondering if any new Scamp owners can corroborate the info I received from my manufacture. I'm also interested in comments on the validity of my concerns. I wonder if this is very petty or if I have a legit gripe.

Problem 1 is the spare tire to trailer interface. I removed it when I put the trailer into storage only to find a brown imprint of the tire in the gell coat. I tried cleaning it but it is did not change appearance after scrubbing with a rag and marine wash. I'll try to post the picture that I have. I know that this will not hinder my camping enjoyment, but it seems to have left a mark on my soul. Scamp said they have seen this and that I can buff it out. I'll probably just ignore it at let my remorse fade over time. Anybody else have a similar decal placed on their trailer? Did you try buffing it out?

My second concern is with a bathroom wall. When cleaning the bathroom most of the walls were smooth, just as one would like in a bathroom. Those walls cleaned nicely. Unfortunately one of the walls (aft wall, port side) was rough. I was not happy with my cleaning ability there. It wasn't dirty, but is right next to the commode so I can see it requiring occasional attention. Scamp said that it is the design. I'm guessing the smooth side is inside the cabin facing the galley. Regardless my life experience says the bathroom wall should be smooth as well. So fellow Scamp owners (I kind-of like saying that) do you have a rough wall in your bathroom and if you do does it cause you any concern?

Finally, My water pump is awfully loud, to the point I'm concerned about agitating my neighbors during quiet hours, and I'm a bit embarrassed in general that my little trailer groans as it does. All the other campers seem quieter. Whatever, the water flows smoothly. Scamp said that the water pump does make noise, but they did not consider it too loud.
Tony D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 05:58 AM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
1. Yes, leaving the tire on the back will cause the gel-coat to get ugly. You can try to put something under the tire, and make sure it is very secure so it does not move, but at the very least you will get a "sun shadow" just like you will get under the decals. I also found dirt and leaves and bugs accumulating under the tire. Try some polishing wax or if you need something more aggressive, Bar Keepers Friend. BTW, I carry my spare in the tow vehicle for a few reasons of which keeping the camper looking good is but one.

2. Yes thats the way the bathroom is. Mine is clean but does have some marks on it. Its a camper so its fine with me.

3. Yes the pump is a little loud, but don't worry...your campground neighbors will be much louder ninety percent of the time.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 06:07 AM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Hi Tony
While we do not have a Scamp , the previous owner of our Escape thought the solid “pump to wood” mount on the water pump created excessive noise. He took a piece of one inch thick kneeling pad and cut it to fit. Then used longer screws, through the pad to remount it. I’d consider it pretty quiet now, certainly not up to disturbing fellow campers. This was the very dense pad, not especially comfortable on ones knees like the softer stuff but good as anti-vibration material. Hope this helps.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 10:24 AM   #4

Ohio
Iowa Dave & Gordon,

Thanks for the thoughts. A mounting cushion makes sense to quiet the pump. I'll look into that.

Photo of my tire mark. seems like they bolted the tire on too soon before everything set up.
Attached Images

Old 08-03-2019, 10:47 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The mark on the gelcoat is from the tire outgassing. As someone said, you can put something between the tire and the gelcoat. I've read where some are wrapping the tire in a plastic dry cleaning bag and then putting the spare tire cover over that. Good luck.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 10:52 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
My Escape came with a large plastic garbage bag over the tire and the tire cover over that. Still no marking after ten years, but I should check the tire pressure.
Old 08-03-2019, 11:49 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
The pump noise is loudest to you, inside the Scamp. The vibration is amplified by the camper shell, and flat panels.
The pump itself should be mounted with rubber grommets.
The inlet and outlet hoses should have loops to help isolate the vibration.
And there should be a screen between the tank and the pump to catch debris before it fouls the check valves i the pump.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 05:26 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Another thing that will quiet down the pump is to add an accumulator on the output of the pump and connecting them with a flexible line like used on a toilet or sink.

Additionally it will deliver a few ounces of water before the pump cycles on.
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 06:13 PM   #9

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape
California
Registry
On our Scamp 16 the bolts holding the spare tire have two nuts each. The inner one let's you adjust the clearance between the tire and trailer so the spare tire does not have to touch the gelcoat.
DougOlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 06:20 PM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Mine is 15 years old and I look under the spare only when it needs to come off for use or replacement. I never travel without a spare.
Now there are a couple of concerns... the stain is really not one of them since it is almost always out of sight.
Make sure that the inner nuts are placed so that they take their share of the load and that the tire is snug against the hull but not adding much stress.
Loose can cause friction damage or stress cracks... too tight will stress the bolts inside the hull. The wheel should seat firmly against all three inner nuts with the outer nuts securely tight against them and the tire only "snug" against the hull.
As for the stain, it won't spread so you gave yourself the best advice...

Just ignore it at let your remorse fade over time.

The bulkhead wall is textured on the standard because of the process use to make fiberglass. It is not going to be a problem to keep clean, but only you can decide how you feel about it. No worry =no problem.

One small advantage of the Deluxe is that wall is smooth.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 05:18 AM   #11

Ohio
Thanks all, I did notice that the pump noise is louder inside than outside. I will definitely look into controlling its vibration at the mounting bolts and the input and output lines. The accumulator may be a bridge too far, but I see how it would help.

The tire discussions were helpful. I think the scamp people should wrap the spare as you suggest. I will start doing that. I also appreciate the advice on placing the spare tire with the 6 bolts. I knew what the jam nuts were for, but I may have tried to use them to stand the tire off from the outside wall. Probably not a great idea.

As for the rough surface, the shower curtain can help me keep from fouling the wall. I’ll be diligent keeping it in place. That is easy to replace.

Sleeping better with my purchase. It is good to know that I’m not alone. Thanks again.

Tony
Old 08-04-2019, 05:46 AM   #12

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony D View Post
.. I knew what the jam nuts were for, but I may have tried to use them to stand the tire off from the outside wall. Probably not a great idea.
To be blunt, IMHO there is no "Probably" about it.. I have read many accounts of people who found the wood support for the spare and the table (which is glassed in the back wall), rotted from an undetected leak at the tire mounting bolts. A spare that is not tight against the body seems to be the common cause.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 09:24 AM   #13

Registry
Another point...
Replace your shower curtain and rod using the longest cafe rod for the best overlap.
Use key rings instead of shower rings.
Use 1/2 of a clear shower liner which will cover the entire wall as well as the door.
This gives you better coverage, more room in the shower and eliminates shower curtain clinginess.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0057.JPG   DSCF0073.JPG  

DSCF0072.JPG   DSCF0075.JPG  

Old 08-04-2019, 12:53 PM   #14

Ohio
I like it. Very helpful photos.

What’s a cafe rod? And why key rings?

Your wall looks nice and smooth. By the orientation it seems to be my least favorite wall.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:13 AM   #15

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Spare tire ring??

WE got the word re this 'ring' b4 we got our Casita last year..we took the advice of vets and put 4 1.5" round rubber stick-on pads on the gelcoat and reinstalled the tire..no problems so far.
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 05:07 PM   #16

Name: Michael
Trailer: Former Scamp 13, Former Airstream 16
Connecticut
Quote:
Thanks all, I did notice that the pump noise is louder inside than outside. I will definitely look into controlling its vibration at the mounting bolts and the input and output lines. The accumulator may be a bridge too far, but I see how it would help.

The tire discussions were helpful. I think the scamp people should wrap the spare as you suggest. I will start doing that. I also appreciate the advice on placing the spare tire with the 6 bolts. I knew what the jam nuts were for, but I may have tried to use them to stand the tire off from the outside wall. Probably not a great idea.

As for the rough surface, the shower curtain can help me keep from fouling the wall. I’ll be diligent keeping it in place. That is easy to replace.

Sleeping better with my purchase. It is good to know that I’m not alone. Thanks again.

Tony
Tony: if you plan to keep the spare in the stock position don’t worry about the brown ring. I would recommend you remove the spare once or twice per year to remove any accumulated debris and wax the fiberglass.

I owned my 1999 13’ Deluxe for 16 years and I remember the brown ring from new.

Mike
pedalmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 11:28 PM   #17

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:

Your wall looks nice and smooth. By the orientation it seems to be my least favorite wall.
"cafe rod" is a small round rod that is typically used for hanging light weight "cafe curtains" They are called cafe curtains because cafes use them in the front windows. Short curtains at the bottom which allow the diners to look out the window but act as a privacy screen to hide the people's legs under the table where there are close to full height windows. Often combined with a very short curtain up at the top of the window just to dress things up a bit.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:33 AM   #18

Registry
Quote:

I believe Cafe' rods are still used to hang the window curtains in your Scamp from the factory.
Get the longest one made because it will be stronger when adjusted to fit.

Key rings are much smaller than shower curtain rings and allow the curtain to hang closer to the wall. this gives better protection and allows more room in the shower, while avoiding the clingy curtain thing that happens with a conventional curtain rod and rings.

Tags
scamp