Snoozy A/C install info wanted - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2018, 05:20 PM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Snoozy A/C install info wanted

I'd like to mount an air conditioner (or have one mounted) in my Hauley. Can some Snoozy owners tell me how the company installs them? I mean, what reinforcement do they have around the opening and how do they keep the A/C unit secured in place? Besides the shell itself and any framing around the opening, is there anything extra helping to support the weight?

Thanks in advance.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 11:43 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Sorry Mike, but since I have never had any problems that required pulling the air conditioner, I have no idea how it is solidly mounted. Have you tried talking with Richard from the factory?
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:53 PM   #3

Oklahoma
I thought maybe there would be framing or something actually visible around the AC unit. Is there nothing you can see?

I hate contacting their office. I have asked them questions before. They tend to give me sketchy info (not enough detail) or no reply at all.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:09 PM   #4

Registry
Mike, I removed the fiberglass cover over the air conditioner today so I could take a few pictures for you. The lower edge has aluminum “L” angle screwed into or perhaps through the fiberglass to who know what on the inside under the decorative red oak covering. The upper edge appears to have some large bolts coming from the inside, probably through some other mounting hardware. The decorative surround on the inside is what I used to mount our shelf & overhead cupboards to, so I will not be removing this unless necessitated by a faulty air conditioner. I hope these pictures along with verbal description from the factory will help you with your modification to your Lil Hauley.
Dave & Paula
Attached Thumbnails
0AF8BF39-222D-479F-92F4-5315ED567F83.jpg   16A83F89-566E-4D5C-AFDF-47FFF3AEC13D.jpg  

E65ED869-ED60-4DC2-BA2F-DDEC6F785E1C.jpg   9A172362-4CBB-454E-A0E4-235722557DD5.jpg  

Old 05-09-2018, 09:57 PM   #5

Registry
The angled aluminum piece not only attaches to the Lil Snoozy body, it is also screwed to the bottom of air conditioner. For some reason this thread keeps disappearing from the posts, and can not be found in “todays posts” nor even in the second section of “Search”, so I had to look at my profile and click on posts that I have made in order to resurrect the thread.
Dave & Paula
Old 05-09-2018, 10:35 PM   #6

Oklahoma
Wow, thanks! You went 'above and beyond' in removing the cover. The pictures (I saved them to my computer and rotated them) are quite revealing. Sure enough, some good reinforcement is needed around the opening to support the heavy A/C unit. Hmm.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:42 AM   #7

Registry
Mike, we only ordered the A/C because we felt that with retirement we may travel to unknown places that would require one. We never used one in 40 years of camping, and have only used the one we have now while working on the inside of the LS here in 100+ degrees, and one time while on the road because it was so noisey outside that we needed the “white noise” to sleep. It would have been easier to carry very light earplugs than a heavy A/C unit. Maybe you should go with a portable unit for times that you know that you will be traveling in areas that will require A/C, or just hotel it on those rare nights.
Dave & Paula
Old 05-10-2018, 10:13 AM   #8

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
Mike, I am seriously considering a climateright for my LiL Hauley. Like Dave we only used an AC one time and that was when we went to see the eclipse last summer. We would have died in the camper without it. We installed it in the emergency escape window in a piece of OSB cut to fit the opening and the AC. We had to remove it when traveling, which is a bit of a nuisance, however it was worth it. My plan is to cut the holes in the area where the AC would mount, that way if one did decide to install a permanent AC unit the holes would be removed. I am also planning on a portable platform to fit a receiver I will mount on the rear bumper, which is where I would set the AC unit or a Propex heater, as required.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:31 PM   #9

Oklahoma
Thanks. Besides camping, I would use the AC while working in the Hauley. After making my deliveries, late afternoons and early evenings are spent inside the trailer... collating merchandise and emptying and refilling bins with product. 3 hours of expending effort in a hot trailer with very little air movement. I only have the door and the two small front windows to open.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:10 AM   #10

Name: Douglas
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
MD
Registry
Carl, be very careful with the Climate Right. I bought one for our Little Guy teardrop, tested it at home (shore and generator power), and drove to Alabama in the summer where it refused to cool (no refrigerant). Climate Right sent me a new one without even asking what went wrong. I must not have been the first with the problem. I still had to endure Alabama with a broken AC.

The new one I again tested, though for longer, then drove to Missouri in the summer. It was DOA, same problem. The fan would come on but the compressor would not engage. No refrigerant. We survived with a Lowes $110 window unit with ducts made from the box it came in and duct tape. Climate Right refused to replace it since it was more than a year after the original purchase of the first unit.

Taking it apart (since it was a $500 door stop at this point) you can see where they cut corners and don't put in vibration dampers on the copper refrigerant tubes and coils.

You can look at the glowing reviews on their website, but try to find a place there to submit a review. Tells you something.

I spent a lot of time installing the ducts and building a mounting platform for the Climate Right and never had it work except in testing at home. I will stick with the window unit that our Snoozy came with and replace it with a Lowes/Home Depot/WalMart unit if I ever have to.
Air Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:42 AM   #11

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
Thanks Doug, I guess they did not design it for mobile applications!