Solar Charge Controler: Is this crazy? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2010, 05:53 PM   #1

Trailer: 1971 Boler 13 ft
I'm in the process of renovating a 71 Boler 13 and one of the things I'd like to add in the future is a solar setup. Whatever type of mount I use for the panel(s) I'd like it to be removable so that I can locate the panel in the sun even when the trailer is parked in the shade. That means I'll need some type of extension cord/quick connector setup.

That got me thinking about using the charge line already built in to my 7 pin bargman connector rather than punching another hole and running another wire. That means that the solar charge controller would be inline even when charging from the tow vehicle. To me, this actually seems like it might be a good idea and allow for a better, more controlled charge when hooked up (assuming the charge controller is large enough to handle the amperage coming from the tow vehicle's alternator).

I don't think I've run across anyone doing this which make me wonder if I'm missing something.

Thanks,
Russ
RussL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:03 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
That got me thinking about using the charge line already built in to my 7 pin bargman connector rather than punching another hole and running another wire. That means that the solar charge controller would be inline even when charging from the tow vehicle. To me, this actually seems like it might be a good idea and allow for a better, more controlled charge when hooked up [b](assuming the charge controller is large enough to handle the amperage coming from the tow vehicle's alternator).

I don't think I've run across anyone doing this [b]which make me wonder if I'm missing something.
The charge controller cannot handle the amperage coming in from the tow vehicle's alternator, is what I've been told.
You don't mount it inside the trailer and hook it up IN SERIES with the tow vehicle's alternator in the charge line.

There are a couple of ways this has been done by others...
(example #1)
Link to my Solar installation
I mount my controller inside my trailer's battery box IN PARALLEL with the incoming charge line from the tow vehicle's alternator.
I use a separate cable to connect the panels.

(example #2)
Link to Jeanne & Steve's Solar installation
They use their 7-pin bargeman connector to plug into a Solar transfer box they built which contains the charge controller and has a connector for the panels. This keeps the tow vehicle's alternator out of the circuit when the solar panels are in use, and the charge controller out of the circuit when connected to the tow vehicle.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:26 PM   #3

Quote:
The charge controller cannot handle the amperage coming in from the tow vehicle's alternator, is what I've been told.
You don't mount it inside the trailer and hook it up IN SERIES with the tow vehicle's alternator in the charge line.
Thanks Frederick,

That's the information I was looking for and my searches hadn't turned up your installation or the other that you linked. I really like the external junction box. That would make it really easy to travel lighter when I didn't need the solar setup and allow me to use it elsewhere.

Russ
Old 03-04-2010, 08:08 PM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I did this with mine

Linky to Using pigtail for solar charging
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:36 PM   #5

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I went to West Marine and purchased a set of recepticle and plug for a trolling motor. The recepticle/outlet is water proof and on the side of the Scamp. The plug, which is locking, was added to a long 2 wire multi strand cord attached to the solar panel. While I have only placed my solar panel on the roof of the Scamp and dropped the cord down the side to the outlet, I do have the ability to run it out to a sunny spot if necessary.

Now from the recepticle/outlet I ran wires to the solar controller inside the trailer and from the controller to the battery. This setup works great for me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	120_2017.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	26614
[attachment=31471:
120_2020.JPG]
Click image for larger version

Name:	120_2025.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	26615
Attached Thumbnails
120_2020.JPG  
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:45 PM   #6

Gina and Joy,

Thanks for the additional information. Those are great solutions and I'll probably end up utilizing pieces of both of them.

Russ
Old 03-06-2010, 10:01 AM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I've got mine so the wire / connector drops through a hole in the floor under the front bench seat. I plan on finding one of those "flip top stoppers" they use in boats to seal off the hole this season.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar