solar issue - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2008, 10:17 PM   #21

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Actually, ampersand is the name of the "&" symbol (shift 7). I dunno what the "at" sign is actually called. (Maybe Benita knows??)
I stand corrected, thank you Mary. Funny thing is that when I started typing the explanation, I originally put "above the 7" looked at my keyboard and said no that's wrong it is above the 2, it never clicked in.

Wikipedia has an interesting write up on the "at sign" It has a multitude of meanings, especially when it comes to other languages.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At_sign

I'm not blaming the moderators, or complaining, just trying to poke some fun at life. I have to keep detailed records at work, I constantly use a multitude of short forms and symbols. It just seems so odd that not using a symbol for a simple two letter word really slows one down. It actually stops me dead in my tracks ... wondering now what am I supposed to write?

Oh that's it ... [b]at
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:03 PM   #22

Trailer: 1976 Boler 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
Hi, Cyndi. Actually, your cappuccino machine will probably draw a fair amount of juice. (Anything that heats up like that uses lots more power than your lights will use.) I'm not saying that cap-machine is a goner, but you don't say what your solar panels capacity total is. Check out that book that was recommended... Or do a google search on the internet (there's lots of info available). You might even have a look at our "Solar" link (under Tutorials in the navigation bar at the left of this screen). It's tedious to work through the info, but it's really not rocket science.

As for whether you can get extension cords for "cigarette lighter-type" outlets, the answer is yes. How long does it need to be? I think I purchased one at Camping World (or some such) that is about 10 feet long.

Good luck with it. We use a 3.1 amp solar panel when we're boondocking. Our main need is the water-pump for showers. (Also the electronic ignition on the otherwise propane powered refrigerator.) A little light at night is a bonus. (We also have a battery operated lantern.) FWIW, we make our coffee using a Melitta cone and water that we heat on the (propane) stove.

I hope this helps.
Yes, it does. thanks. I'm sure it is enough power for 1 cappuccino per day and a bit of light at night. It is 3 panels, says it will run a TV for 30 hours or something like that. I must have OCD, b/c i get really obsessive about having things that are important to me just right, exactly the way i want them. I have a stove top cappuccino machine, but i don't like the way it foams, hardly at all. It may sound crazy to some, but given how my morning cappuccino is usually the greatest joy in my day i don't think i should have to give it up unless absolutely necessary. (and i don't like messing around with heating up milk and using a foaming wand, another pot to wash) I'm excited about the extension cord from camping world Thaaaaaank-you! At least until i sort out the power, i can run it from the van. Yeah, i know I'm obsessive about certain ideas i get in my head, but hey- we cant all be normal.
cyndi H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:07 PM   #23

Registry
Quote:
For what its worth (FWIW) we picked up a great Cappuccino machine that runs off the stove, no electricity needed. It is cheaper, smaller and much lighter than a solar setup. It is called the Bialetti Mukka Express it makes expresso too!

It's not foolproof, we've done everything wrong you can. No water, no milk, no espresso, didn't screw the top all the way down and frequently even forget to push down the "button". [b]BUT when we follow the simple instructions (it comes with a DVD plus instructions are online in the link above) and use all the ingredients it does really make a great Cappuccino!
How does it foam????????????? I have a silver looking model, all chrome or something. BUT- it is not a bialetti, and i have used them before and been happy. As a matter of fact the electric model i want to take is a little bialetti. I may now try the mukka, and this whole thread may be made redundant.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:12 PM   #24

Registry
Quote:
I stand corrected, thank you Mary. Funny thing is that when I started typing the explanation, I originally put "above the 7" looked at my keyboard and said no that's wrong it is above the 2, it never clicked in.

Wikipedia has an interesting write up on the "at sign" It has a multitude of meanings, especially when it comes to other languages.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At_sign

I'm not blaming the moderators, or complaining, just trying to poke some fun at life. I have to keep detailed records at work, I constantly use a multitude of short forms and symbols. It just seems so odd that not using a symbol for a simple two letter word really slows one down. It actually stops me dead in my tracks ... wondering now what am I supposed to write?

Oh that's it ... [b]at
Wow, i learn so much here! I am still trying to figure out why occasionally my keyboard stops making ? symbols and makes the capital E with the line on top (cant do it now, only happens for unknown reasons)
Old 08-13-2008, 11:28 PM   #25

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
I have a Mukka Express. It looks like an upsized version of a classic Bialetti stove top espresso maker and kind of works the same way. You put water in the bottom, ground espresso in a basket in the middle, and put it on the stove. Where things get different is what happens before you turn the heat on: you put milk in the top.

When the water heats, steam pressure presses hot water through the grounds, but when the water level falls below the straw that feeds the espresso grounds basket only steam escapes, and the Mukka Express uses that steam to froth the milk & espresso mix now residing in the top chamber.

Then you pour it into mugs and add chocolate sauce. It's not a mocha equal to one from a barista-bars, but I use it at home and think it'll be a nice treat when I don't want to blow off three bucks and gas for a coffee or when we're on the road somewhere with our trailer.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 05:52 AM   #26

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Quote:
Actually, ampersand is the name of the "&" symbol (shift 7). I dunno what the "at" sign is actually called. (Maybe Benita knows??)

The Moderating Team felt it necessary to dismantle the "at" sign, because people persist in posting their email addresses (mostly in the For Sale sections), and then are annoyed (and blame us) when they are spammed. We regret it's necessary, but the workload from the complaints was unreal.

Hi Mary,

It was once called the commercial at sign. It's a holdover from the days of the typewriter (do you remember those?). It was used in invoices and other documents of commerce.
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:22 AM   #27

Trailer: 1960 28 ft Airstream
Quote:
There is one difference between home wiring and trailer wiring and only one. House 120VAC trailer 12VDC, that's about it.

120VAC can shock you, 12VDC won't.
I politely disagree...perhaps its a matter of degree...12VDC won't shock you as much...but stick a 9 V battery across your tongue, and it will be an enlightening experience!! (Not that I am recommending this experience...but it will relatively safety prove my point...please don't try this if you have pacemakers, heart problems and other fun stuff) Current flow is the dangerous addition to this equation. How well grounded you are is another. Higher voltage can seriously impair/kill you, however, electric fences running at appx. 6k Volts, just give you or the animals they hold a jolt that is memorable, and they run at VERY low current. (Make sure you use a pulsing fence charger, not continuous...)

Pam
Pamela H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:45 PM   #28

Registry
Quote:
I have a Mukka Express. It looks like an upsized version of a classic Bialetti stove top espresso maker and kind of works the same way. You put water in the bottom, ground espresso in a basket in the middle, and put it on the stove. Where things get different is what happens before you turn the heat on: you put milk in the top.

When the water heats, steam pressure presses hot water through the grounds, but when the water level falls below the straw that feeds the espresso grounds basket only steam escapes, and the Mukka Express uses that steam to froth the milk & espresso mix now residing in the top chamber.

Then you pour it into mugs and add chocolate sauce. It's not a mocha equal to one from a barista-bars, but I use it at home and think it'll be a nice treat when I don't want to blow off three bucks and gas for a coffee or when we're on the road somewhere with our trailer.
So, am i understanding this correctly: The milk froths and heats in the chamber automatically after the espresso finishes it's brew time? I MUST get one! I should also learn to focus and ask about on the core issue i am having (IE good stove top espresso) rather than getting ahead of myself and asking about the (sometimes crazy) ideas i get in my head about how to solve such issues (inverter etc) Although, it would still be nice to have a working plug in there, haven't quite given up on that idea yet.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:17 PM   #29

Registry
OK Issue solved! I can have a cigarette lighter installed in the trailer, but I am told than an espresso machine is too much power for the battery. Mukka it is. At least the laptop, cell etc can be used when "roughing" it. Oh well, i tried. i'm sure the mukka will be as good, if not better, than my electric.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:45 PM   #30
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
It may not be as good as what you're used to, but the ambiance of the campground will make up for any minimal shortcomings, I'm sure. You know, "everything tastes better when you're camping"!!

And, yeah, it's funny how the "solar issue" morphed into a cappucino issue. (That sort of thing just happens around here... There's quite a bit of discussion about making coffee in the Food section; not so much about steaming the milk for the cappucino or latte, though.)

And Ron Mayo just posted (in our Modifications section) pics of his recent 12v outlet installation.

Good luck with it... (I'm sure you'll do fine.)
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:08 AM   #31

Registry
Quote:
It may not be as good as what you're used to, but the ambiance of the campground will make up for any minimal shortcomings, I'm sure. You know, "everything tastes better when you're camping"!!

And, yeah, it's funny how the "solar issue" morphed into a cappucino issue. (That sort of thing just happens around here... There's quite a bit of discussion about making coffee in the Food section; not so much about steaming the milk for the cappucino or latte, though.)

And Ron Mayo just posted (in our Modifications section) pics of his recent 12v outlet installation.

Good luck with it... (I'm sure you'll do fine.)
Well, I just got back from camping and on a stressfull hot crazy day with 2 dogs running amuk and a few trailer "issues" I can say that my morning latte was definately the HIGHEST, GREATEST, part of my day. Wouldnt go without it. Now i'll check out this 12volt set up before i get mine done-thanks
Old 08-21-2008, 10:19 AM   #32

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Hi Cyndi,

Did you get the Mukka? If so, do you like it.
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar