Solar Panel Stand - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2009, 08:30 AM   #1

Trailer: 1972 Boler 13 ft
I recall a picture of a stand for solar panels made from lawnchairs either on here or bolerama but cannot find it now. If anyone saved it could they please let me know.

Thank you
Barbara Gardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:04 PM   #2

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1973
Hi Barbara...it might've been me at Emily last year. I rigged up a stand from an old aluminum lawn chair to hold my two 15 watt CTC panels. I added 25' of cable to allow their deployment in the sun.
I'll hunt for some photos...but the contraption was real easy to make...just some vinyl siding "cap" at the bottom to support the base of the panels, some velcro strap to hold the panels together, and it all folds up flat.
Ed Shook had a solar array too but I think his is more like an easel.
Cheers...Alistair
Alistair Camelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:28 PM   #3

Alistair, If you have a photo that would be great. Our current stand is not the best and we like the idea of it folding flat. I believe Ed's stand is wood.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:11 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Found it! At least I think this is what you're looking for Barbara
Attached Thumbnails
LawnChairSolar.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:12 PM   #5

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1973
Doggone, Donna...You are GOOD! Yes that's my stand. (It is going with us to The Great Smokey Mountains NP with Doug & Kathy Roach in August)
Barbara, once you have cut the webbing off an 'old school' aluminum lawn chair, saw off the backrest at the point level with the arms ...discard the top.
I added a wood brace across the top of the armrests at the front, some foam padding stuck on it to protect the panels, and a strip of vinyl edge cap (from a house siding job) along the brace at the back bottom. This holds the lower edge of the two solar panels.
A scrap of nylon webbing keeps the front legs and the back legs from collapsing, and forms the brace for the "triangle" stand.
The whole thing folds as flat as a panel, weighs next to nothing, and cost $2 for the "u" strip of vinyl at Home Depot.
So thanks to Donna and whoever took the photo
Good luck with the project
Cheers...Alistair
Alistair Camelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 06:30 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Doggone, Donna...You are GOOD! Yes that's my stand.
Cheers...Alistair
Glad to have been of service and very sorry for not giving you credit for the GREAT idea when I posted the picture Alistair... but, I didn't know it was yours.

I have a folder on my computer "NeatMods" for future consideration for myself. Often I don't document where I found the stuff... and I really should.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:30 PM   #7

Thank you Donna and Alistair, I thought I had kept a photo of it in my Neat Mods file but obviously not. I tried searching to no avail. We have our stands almost done. Thanks again.

Tags
solar, solar panel