Solar Panel wiring into existing system - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2019, 11:51 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Solar Panel wiring into existing system

We have a scamp 13. I put a solar panel on the roof. I don't know how to integrate the solar panel & solar charge controller into the existing wiring, which includes a battery & converter. I'm attaching a sketch of the layout. I'd appreciate help and suggestions.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Trailer Electric Layout 1.pdf (12.7 KB, 31 views)
Martin B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 01:44 PM   #2

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
There are a few different ways to do this, depending on your needs, and more knowledgeable people will help with that.

Your diagram isn't complete, obviously, but what it seems to me to be missing is that the solar charges the battery. None of your appliances run off the solar panel. Everything runs off the battery.

So in it's most simple form, you just wire the solar right to the battery and skip all the other camper electronics. What I just did recently is put a panel on my roof, run the wires into the camper, to the charge controller which I mounted as close to the battery as possible, up near the front interior close to the tongue. The panel runs to the controller, the controller runs to the battery. I have a fuse between the controller and battery. Other than charging the battery, the solar is completely isolated from the trailer wiring.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 02:12 PM   #3

Name: aj
Trailer: Roamer TC
Georgia
Exactly as Zacho said.
I cant see your attachment, but no need. Run the solar array straight to the battery, totally separate system from your camper DC electrical, except that both are connected to the same battery of course…
Your internal camper wiring is likely woefully insufficient for a solar charging system anyway
Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:29 AM   #4

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
I have a rooftop unit on my 16' roof, and a plug for a standalone panel on the front corner. Both run straight to my solar controller, and then from the controller to the battery via a fused 10 AWG wire.
At first I was worried that having two different charging sources in the same system might confuse the controllers, but your converter will shut off when it senses the battery is full, and your solar controller will also cut off charging when the battery is full, so this setup works well.
As others have pointed out, just run the wiring from the panels to the solar controller, and then from the controller to the battery.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 10:09 AM   #5

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Are you just using the converter as an example to show that the solar controller works kind of like the converter when the battery is full?

To me your post makes it seem as though your solar setup is connected to the converter, but I don't think that's what you're saying.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar, solar panel