SOLAR PANELS - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2021, 08:14 PM   #1

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot 17G
Oregon
SOLAR PANELS

How many people have theirs hard-wired into their electrical system and how many people use theirs with connection directly to the battery?

Is there a drawback to direct connection to the battery? Thanks.
bobblangley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 08:37 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Portable panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblangley View Post
How many people have theirs hard-wired into their electrical system and how many people use theirs with connection directly to the battery?

I use a portable panel plugged into the battery via a controller but can bypass the controller on cloudy days. It lets me park in the shade and still get sun to the panel. Some panels would not need a controller but one sized to do any good will. Otherwise, you risk damaging your battery from overcharging because the panels alone cannot limit how much voltage your battery receives.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 08:45 PM   #3

Name: Christian
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblangley View Post

My solar charges my battery, and all cabin fixtures, lights and an inverter are powered from the battery. Only the factory-installed florescent light, a supplemental LiFePo4 battery charger and the 110v outlets utilize shore power.
chrisblessing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 09:17 PM   #4

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
I connect to the battery. The drawback is that the battery compartment door is open and I guess, somebody could steal the battery but then they might want the solar panels as well.

I have a Casita Spirit Deluxe and the battery compartment is quite small. At first, I took the battery out and put it on a 5 gallon bucket and then hooked up the solar. I have since put some cables onto the battery that I can reach in and hook up to the clips. I made some covers for the ends of the cables out of garden hose to use when not hooked up to the solar.

It would be easier with just a plug, but that's beyond my skill level.

My solar set up is a suitcase 100 watt panel. The controller is built into the panel.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 11:23 PM   #5

Name: CalCop
California
My panel is portable. It connects to the controller and that feeds the battery.
I find this to be a better arrangement than a mounted panel.
CalCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 05:33 AM   #6

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
mine is a portable panel that goes though the controler that feeds the battery. This in turn feeds all the 12 volt items in trailer...lights, water pump, furnace, and it will run fridge but the fridge uses up too much of the energy i always run this on propane when boondocking.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 08:52 AM   #7

Name: Steve
NC
I have mine hardwired into the battery/system. Here’s a video that breaks down my whole install.

https://youtu.be/5lzwRLJOBI8
My Casita YouTube videos
Shocksll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 02:44 PM   #8

Name: Gordon
Idaho
Registry
Draw back? Fried batteries, unless it's a very small panel.
I'm not trying to be mean, but you have homework to do.
Gordon in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 05:06 PM   #9

NC
To be clear, i hardwired the solar controller to the 12v battery system, not the direct output from the panels.
Old 11-14-2021, 05:23 PM   #10

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Its all about the location of the panel. I prefer portable, so I can camp in the SHADE while the panel is in the SUN. I also prefer to not drill holes in my camper. But each has their own pluses and minuses.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 06:24 AM   #11

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
Thank goodness my camper has a solar port built-in & the solar panel regulates the power. If I had to do the wiring myself I'd burn the camper up. I keep my 80-watt panel plugged in while in parked in my backyard.
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 08:13 AM   #12

Idaho
Registry
I prefer the roof and ground method. I have 300 watts on the roof and 100 watts I can move around with 25 foot cables. Solar panels are all lot cheaper than batteries now.
I can't fault people for not wanting to put holes in their trailers. But there's nothing to fear if you do it right.
Old 11-15-2021, 09:33 AM   #13

Name: Christian
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon in Idaho View Post
I prefer the roof and ground method. I have 300 watts on the roof and 100 watts I can move around with 25 foot cables. Solar panels are all lot cheaper than batteries now.

I can't fault people for not wanting to put holes in their trailers. But there's nothing to fear if you do it right.
This is very nearly my scenario. I have two 100w panels taped to the roof with rivets on each corner. I have an additional 160w panel with 25' of cable for circumstances where I'm parked in shade. Both the roof and the portable panels have their own LiFePo4 charge controller.
chrisblessing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 01:24 PM   #14

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Its all about the location of the panel. I prefer portable, so I can camp in the SHADE while the panel is in the SUN.
I've only got a 30 Watt panel, but I do the same thing, moving it into the sun as it moves around the campsite. Sometimes, it's quite a chase!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6602.jpg  
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 03:03 PM   #15

NC
I think my issue is my usage of the Casita. I cook breakfast and dinner and sleep in it, that's it. During the day I am not near my Casita at all. So having a solar suitcase doesn't really help me much because i'm not there to move it into the sun throughout the day. I like having the multiple angles on the roof which catches the sun as it moves during the day.
My Casita YouTube videos
Old 11-16-2021, 09:50 AM   #16

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon in Idaho View Post

There are good reasons for both.

With a single 170 watt panel on the roof we charge our batteries going down the road eliminating the need for a DC-DC converter, all the while being topped off arriving at the campground.

With only 170 watts on the roof we purchased a 100 watt Renogy portable, three 15' cables (so far have only needed two for 30'), a Zamp port (reverse the wires), and a Victron 100/20 SCC. It works great when camping in shaded sites.

Last June we added 300 additional watts (3 x 100) to the roof to provide additional power on shady/overcast days. These are mounted using a minimum of 10 square inches of VHB tape per mount, with no penetrations. This summer despite being in tree shade we charged every day. Since installing the extra 300 watts we have yet to need the portable.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 11:38 AM   #17

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft 1982
Solar hook up

My panel is portable. It connects to the controller and that feeds the battery.
I find this to be a better to get the most sun, and still have the Casita in the shade. I store my 2 panels in the back of the truck bed. I made a shelve between the bed and the plywood. On the floor and support by 2x2, this makes the shelve.
Tom
Thomas A Cronquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 12:07 PM   #18

Name: Patricia
Trailer: Escape
Washington
Solar solutions

I had used a portable solar panel with a controller connected directly to the battery. It worked very well. But I got tired of dragging the panel out and recently I had panels installed on the roof of my trailer. I love it! No muss, no fuss!
Mcpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 02:53 PM   #19

Idaho
Registry
My 13' Scamp resembles one of the Mars Rovers with 3 100 watt panels on top. I have not yet deployed the fourth panel, the weather in the desert has been dreamy and there hasn't been any shade to hide in anyway.
But the solstice is still a month away, and rain won't hold off forever. I'm certain I'll use the forth panel on those lean solar days ahead.
None of the setups I've read about here are wrong It depends mostly on needs. Just don't skip the controller!
Power on.
Old 11-20-2021, 08:05 PM   #20

Name: Robert
Trailer: 17' Casita
California
I’ve used a 100 watt suitcase with built in controller for about 75 nights so far. I do wish it was rooftop but it’s not a priority project. I’ve been able to arrange the cables so it’s quick and easy to connect when deployed and also easy to set up with my Westinghouse igen300s which is essentially my back up battery.
robswarts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar, solar panel