Solar Power Charger For Deep Cycle Battery - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-18-2017, 11:04 AM   #1

Name: Spencer
Trailer: Scamp
Utah
Solar Power Charger For Deep Cycle Battery

Hi,

I'm looking for a portable solar charger that will charge one 12v deep cycle battery if drained to 50% or a charger that will keep my battery topped off while using the lights and water pump when camped in an area with no hookups.The more research I do, the more confused I get, so was wondering if anyone out there has a good inexpensive solar charger they've been using to charge or keep their battery charged while camping that works well.

Most 12v solar chargers I've come across on the internet are trickle chargers and I can't figure out if that would work for what I'm wanting to use it for since those are mainly meant for keeping batteries charged during storage. Any help is much appreciated.

I have an 84 13ft Scamp and am running the 2 LED lights, the tube lights above the dinette, the water pump, and charging phones of the 12v plug.
TheSpencerJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 11:27 AM   #2

Name: Dave (and/or John)
Trailer: Scamp 16 SD std layout 6
Georgia
Registry
It sounds like your needs are minimal, although the tube light sounds like it's a 110 volt light and won't work off your battery unless you add an inverter.
A 50 watt panel kit sounds like it would fit your needs well, assuming you won't be running fans, heater fans, CPAP machine, etc.
We started with a 90 watt movable panel and 30 amp controller (mounted inside), but now mostly use a 90 watt permanent panel on the roof and supplement that with the portable panel during wintertime when the sun is low on the horizon.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 02:15 PM   #3

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Colorado
I run a 50 watt panel through a controller into the battery and other than the tube light run the same things you mention. While the amperage from solar panels isn't large, it will recharge my battery usually during the morning so by mid day I'm set to go for another day or two depending mon my usage. I have a battery meter hooked into the system so I can keep an eye on the state of charge at a glance.
ckayaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, solar, solar power