Solved: cold floor in the 17' Casita during winter - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2023, 12:43 PM   #1

Name: ash
Trailer: Casita
Arizona
Solved: cold floor in the 17' Casita during winter

This is a super easy way to add a barrier between your feet and the floor. My GF had a roll of brand new 1/2" thick carpet padding that I cut up and installed inside the camper. The usual carpet runner and the welcome mat went back on top of the carpet pad as it's quite ugly!

On our last outing in Sierra Vista, AZ, the night time temps did drop quite a bit but our feet weren't freezing when we got up in the morning. She did purchase Reflectix that she'll cut up and cover up the insides of the windows for more heat retention.

Anyway, nothing crazy but a simple mod to help with colder nights.

link to pics https://photos.app.goo.gl/KWCLM7uyHgY8wmet7
https://photos.app.goo.gl/SLsWvwUiNp2LJbyv8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZfuEBuYzVPBZmqJdA
alia176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 11:57 AM   #2

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 17B
Ontario
Ash, good tip. We use a simple runner down the centre of our Escape 17B. We ordered it with the extra insulation. We wear some heavy socks inside. So far so good. Will consider adding the underlay for the shoulder season camping.
We are planning a trip to Newfoundland this spring/summer so might be wise to bring some along. Our friends ran into snow there in a June !
Stay warm, Bob
Lanarkwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 05:46 PM   #3

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanarkwanderer View Post
Ash, good tip. We use a simple runner down the centre of our Escape 17B. We ordered it with the extra insulation. We wear some heavy socks inside. So far so good. Will consider adding the underlay for the shoulder season camping.
We are planning a trip to Newfoundland this spring/summer so might be wise to bring some along. Our friends ran into snow there in a June !
Stay warm, Bob
We encountered snow beginning of September 2014 camping in Labrador City, returning to Vermont from our wonderful trip to Newfoundland. Be prepared.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 01:10 PM   #4

Name: Nancy
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanarkwanderer View Post
Stay warm, Bob
You might want to also look at those interlocking floor mats, they are made of EVA foam, remain flexible in cold, and I believe are waterproof, which the carpet underlayment would't be. While I haven't used them on the floor of my boler I did put them under the bed and front couch sections and it made a difference. I have used these interlocking mats over my basement concrete floor and they work like a charm to keep feet warm.
Nancy F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 08:43 PM   #5

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
We encountered snow beginning of September 2014 camping in Labrador City, returning to Vermont from our wonderful trip to Newfoundland. Be prepared.
I found the picture of our snow and ice covered Scamp - here it is. It was 9/12/2014.
Attached Thumbnails
PICT1449.jpg  
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 10:42 PM   #6

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 17B
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy F View Post
You might want to also look at those interlocking floor mats, they are made of EVA foam, remain flexible in cold, and I believe are waterproof, which the carpet underlayment would't be. While I haven't used them on the floor of my boler I did put them under the bed and front couch sections and it made a difference. I have used these interlocking mats over my basement concrete floor and they work like a charm to keep feet warm.
Nancy, thanks for the tip. Great idea, I see the come up on sale every once in a while. I’ll pick some up. Easy to store when not needed too.
Bob
Lanarkwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita