Sound System Help ? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2012, 07:55 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 4500 1978
Sound System Help ?

Hello All,

I am wanting to install a car stereo in our 1978 trillium. I am looking for some ideas as where to mount the head unit, and speakers. I am looking to do a clean and proper install.

I was thinking of putting the head unit in the cabinet facing the table, but then thought about spilling stuff on it.

In the closet facing the table? In the upper cabinet facing the table?

We have a 3 year old little boy...he likes buttons!!

Where do you have yours mounted? Pros-cons ideas etc... please help.

Oh yeah speakers??

Will not be using an amp......humm?? or will I? aggh!

Please post pics of what you got.

Many Thanks Kevin
KevinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:52 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinWA View Post
Hello All,

I am wanting to install a car stereo in our 1978 trillium. I am looking for some ideas as where to mount the head unit, and speakers. I am looking to do a clean and proper install.

I was thinking of putting the head unit in the cabinet facing the table, but then thought about spilling stuff on it.

In the closet facing the table? In the upper cabinet facing the table?

We have a 3 year old little boy...he likes buttons!!

Where do you have yours mounted? Pros-cons ideas etc... please help.

Oh yeah speakers??

Will not be using an amp......humm?? or will I? aggh!

Please post pics of what you got.

Many Thanks Kevin
I know that your trillium is different from this 13 Scamp but it may give you some ideas. This trailer came to me as a refit and it had the radio and speakers mounted as shown.As I recall, the car type antenna was merely laid in the cupboard , it worked great....
Attached Thumbnails
1978 Scamp 13 003.jpg   1978 Scamp 13 002.jpg  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:45 PM   #3

ok...that looks like a good spot!! and my boy will not be able to reach it!

i like your speakers too...but i do not have a spot like that...i will have to keep thinking.

many thanks.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:33 AM   #4

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Kevin

My '78 4500 had a shelf across the top over the table/bed on all 3 sides,does yours?

I also had a radio mounted just like Floyds which was a nice central location and there is no rule that says you have to have a boxless car stereo speaker is there?

If you use a small box speaker you can mount them almost anywhere regardless of having some place to enclose them?

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:48 AM   #5

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
just a tip, if you want to have a nice white radio and speaker covers, go to a marine supply place, boats have nice water resistant , white radios and speakers that match an eggs fiberglass "real perty like".
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:42 PM   #6

Thanks for all your help!

I do not have the over head shelf in the "dining" area...wish i did!!

Small boxes may just be the way to go for the speakers...i was looking at the angle part of the back seat (facing the great room)...but i was thinking about them getting damaged while storing stuff under the seat. this idea came from the new trillium trailers.

water resistant....you may just be on to something!!!!

thanks guys!
Old 02-25-2012, 07:54 PM   #7

Trailer: Casita
Speakers

I bought some West Marine speakers that could be mounted under the cabinets. Saved a bit of cabinet space.
Attached Thumbnails
W marine speaker.JPG  
LK Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:13 PM   #8

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 16 ft / ft 04 Subaru Forester XS (extra slow)
I'd think about when, where and why you want to listen to music?

When-- daytime, or after hours? Where-- in campgrounds or in the boondocks? And, in or outside your trailer? Why-- as background filler? A hi-fi experience? Head-bangin', guitar-shreddin' glory days?

A good car stereo and speakers can be bought for a song-- pawn shops are full of even cheaper ones. But they won't power the headphones you might want for late night listening beside a sleeping spouse (if any). Internally mounted speakers aren't much good sitting around the campfire, either.

I'd look at a range of modern portable radio-iPod combination units that could be moved around the trailer and campsite as the mood strikes. Like this one Tivoli Audio - SongBook® AM/FM Alarm Clock Travel Radio.
Tivoli radios have excellent radio reception, sucking in distant signals in remote spots. They offer very good sound quality (though no tone controls) and good connectivity with other inputs and speakers. The portable models run on rechargable AAs, so no power connection is needed.I think this, plus an iPod and quality headphones, would be my choice.

If you still want permanent speakers inside, I'd shop desktop computer speakers, which should be powerful enough inside an egg. Quality correlates with price here, so aim accordingly. There's probably never been so many choices in smaller speakers, but most are lower quality. Those WM speakers pictured look pretty lo-fi, intended for "Now hear this" duty.

Boxed speakers will probably sound better than a raw speaker mounted in an un-engineered, overly resonant fiberglass cabinet. They also give you more flexibility in placement. Happy shopping-- and remember, listen first!
John McMillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:15 AM   #9

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
i like what john m. has to say.
as i thought about this, i have a nice grundig am/fm/shortwave portable.
its all we ever need. blasting party tunes in a campground is sort of rude.
we listen to nice music during dinner. i get up in the morning early, make a pot of coffee and sit outside and listen to the news without disturbing the wife. and scaning the sw channels you can find some really interesting programing.
generaly when we sit aroound a campfire, i will play my ukulele, or my mountain dulcimer. we sing silly songs and chat and just enjoy each other.
so i guess i won't be installing a high fi system in my new trailer,,, it would take something away i think.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:22 AM   #10

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
I realize that you said you want to be able to mount it away from your son but I bought an iPod dock last summer that you may want to consider. The Eton Soulra XL is SOLAR POWERED dock with incredibly good sound. It has kept my iPod charged on a two week boon docking trip and even charged while camped under the canopy of tall cedar forest. It has the added benefit of being able to be brought outside without having to crank the volume from within the trailer. It will also charge from within the trailer if placed so that sun hits it through the window and for those that care - it has a remote controller.
We have music all day and then when everyone else goes to sleep I have my charged iPod to use as an e-reader.
I got mine directly from Apple with 3 day delivery.

Did I mention - it sounds great. Compares to Bose and Sony docks for sound quality.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H6285VC/A
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote