Source for 6 volt batteries - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-08-2020, 04:10 PM   #21

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Thanks all. Great info. My batteries are GC2s in G24 boxes.
I've looked at those V6-225s. They look like the way to go if they'll fit. I'll need to check very carefully. It would be great to have that extra capacity.
And as I said earlier, lithiums aren't really a viable option for several reasons.

Walt
Old 04-08-2020, 07:59 PM   #22

Name: Dave (and/or John)
Trailer: Scamp 16 SD std layout 6
Georgia
Registry
Our Sam's club carries 6 volt golf cart batteries. Last time I purchased a golf cart battery I went to our local golf cart dealer, they had both Crown and Trojan batteries in all shapes and sizes.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 08:44 PM   #23

SW Virginia
We do have a Sam's about an hr away, but I don't think I know anyone with a membership. But I'll keep that in mind. Trojans are top drawer.

Walt
Old 04-09-2020, 10:11 AM   #24

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
Thanks all. Great info. My batteries are GC2s in G24 boxes.
I've looked at those V6-225s. They look like the way to go if they'll fit. I'll need to check very carefully. It would be great to have that extra capacity.
And as I said earlier, lithiums aren't really a viable option for several reasons.

Walt
I don't know about the quality of the V6-225s, but if you currently have the stock Escape provided Interstate 6V batteries, they are rated at the same capacity, i.e. you won't get any increase.

There isn't much available that will fit in the boxes that has more capacity unless you go to lithium, and I wouldn't put lithium batteries on the outside bumper for a number or reasons.

If you switch to AGM batteries, the Lifeline brand, although not the cheapest, is one of the best.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 10:19 AM   #25

SW Virginia
Thanks Jon . I still haven't figured out if AGM is worth the big extra cost.
And yeah, I do know lithium is out, but I'm not interested in that kind of premium price.
Old 04-09-2020, 10:58 AM   #26

Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
As I understand it, the biggest advantage of AGMs is the lack of maintenance. They are typically used where access for routine inspection and water top-off is difficult. Since it sounds like yours are in easily accessible external boxes, I don't think it's worth the extra cost.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 12:18 PM   #27

SW Virginia
Thanks Jon. That's kinda where I was headed. So I guess now I should focus on maximizing AH.
Old 04-09-2020, 12:46 PM   #28

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
note that the "Interstate" or hwatever batteries sold by the likes of Costco are lower grade than the premium Interstates you'd buy at a regular interstate dealer. The difference is about 10% of capacity, like 205AH instead of 225AH

now, the Costco Interstates are /so/ much cheaper and I'm not really too heavy of an electric user, that I went ahead and got them. Gotten two years out of them so far, and they are still going strong.

If I'd been flush with money, I would have bought the premium Trojan batteries from a golf cart dealer.

you WILL want to get a GC2 battery carry handle as tehy are a heavy beast to pick up with out one. these are a rubber strap with a double hook on each end, that fits into the 'ears' that all GC2/T105 batts have.

like this, https://www.amazon.com/TROJAN-609628.../dp/B00699WCUM
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 01:50 PM   #29

SW Virginia
Wow, thanks for the tip. I ordered one right away, since that's what's there already.

Walt
Old 04-15-2020, 10:46 AM   #30

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1999 Casita 17' SD
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Our local Costco carries them; Interstate brand
So does Sam's Club.
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 11:14 AM   #31

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft (21RB25)
Batteries

As a few mentioned ; always replace your 6v batteries at the same time with the same type. Never mix and match.
Your golf cart batteries , though a good choice will be on the expensive side as this is because they can be discharged to the level of deep cycle and can be faster charged but you pay for that.
Stay with a battery were you can top up the water level when required . Most 6V RV deep cycle batteries allow you to do that.
DO NOT waste you dollars on starting batteries as that is what they are
designed for ; STARTING . They provide large amounts of current and allow quick charging but do not tolerate discharging to much less than 60% ( give or take) if that were deep cycle can go as low as 25% but recharging should be done slowly over longer time.
Yes, they can be charged a little faster BUT only with the proper multistage charger and most of us do not have that equipment as we are to cheap to invest in a system.

Yes, you will get people with differing opinions that they do this and they do that and that is usually from lack of knowledge.
Good luck on your choice.
Len S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 12:09 PM   #32

Name: K.
Trailer: Scamp
Morro Bay
Does anyone use lithium? If so what kind? I have 13 vintage 77 scamp. Am using cpap so need power. Any ideas? Thanks
KathyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 12:20 PM   #33

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len S View Post
As a few mentioned ; always replace your 6v batteries at the same time with the same type. Never mix and match.
Why? Please explain.
Thanks!
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 12:21 PM   #34

Name: Hal
Trailer: looking
New Mexico
Interstate doesn't make any batteries, they are simply a broker. East Penn and Johnson Control make most all the automotive batteries produced in the US. Interstate shops the battery manufactures for the best price and have their name affixed on the case. Trojan used to be the battery of choice but have been bought out and in recent years quality has suffered. If you check the weight of like for like batteries you will find the heaviest SHOULD be the best all things considered. Removing lead is the way to save money but reduce quality. As an example, I replaced a set of L16 (6) Trojans that were 8 years old with (6) Crowns this past summer. The L16 crowns were 12 lbs heaver (each) than the old Trojans. Same AH capacity for both.
Do some research on the off grid forums and solar supplier's sites on battery manufactures recommendations . There is an awful lot of information out there on batteries but most is merely here say.
HalStClair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 12:23 PM   #35

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyR View Post
Does anyone use lithium? If so what kind? I have 13 vintage 77 scamp. Am using cpap so need power. Any ideas? Thanks
I installed a pair of Battleborn lithium batteries in my Escape 21. Lithium Install.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 12:40 PM   #36

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
British Columbia
I don't think lead is so valuable that it would be worth while reducing the quantity in a battery to save money.
Old 04-15-2020, 12:54 PM   #37

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I don't think lead is so valuable that it would be worth while reducing the quantity in a battery to save money.
yes, lead prices are way up. its toxic to mine, refine, and process.
Old 04-15-2020, 01:15 PM   #38

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalStClair View Post
Interstate doesn't make any batteries, they are simply a broker. East Penn and Johnson Control make most all the automotive batteries produced in the US. Interstate shops the battery manufactures for the best price and have their name affixed on the case. .
I thought Interstate was closely affiliated with Johnson Control ?

You left out the other large maker, Exide. They sell almost exclusively re-branded batteries, and have been involved in numerous toxic waste controversies, some approaching downright criminal fraud. I try pretty hard to avoid their products (find them branded by many of the car parts chains).

I've been using East Penn manufactured batteries in my cars for some time, their house brands are Deka Gold, Intimidator, and they make various other brands like "Duracell" (under license), but I've not had any experience with their golf cart batts.

There's also the smaller battery maker, EnerSys, who makes Odyssey and other 'fringe' brands as well as speciality batteries for like UPS and such. I've used Odyssey's motorcycle battery before, it was an excellent product, i know less about their larger sizes. Enersys also owns GS Yuasa, but I've only ever used Yuasa motorcycle batts.
Old 04-15-2020, 01:38 PM   #39

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft (21RB25)
batteries

I believe the latest issue here was reducing battery weight. Granted lithium batteries are the way to go if money was not the issue but there are other issues to understand with the use of lithium batteries from new chargers required to understanding safety issue.
Len S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 01:56 PM   #40

Mid Left Coast
with lead acid deep cycle batteries, the capacity of the battery is directly proportional to the amount of lead. less lead == less battery