Source for 6 volt batteries - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-15-2020, 02:15 PM   #41

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len S View Post
Stay with a battery were you can top up the water level when required . Most 6V RV deep cycle batteries allow you to do that....

Yes, you will get people with differing opinions that they do this and they do that and that is usually from lack of knowledge.
Why? Whats wrong with a sealed or AGM battery? Have you ever had to add water to a sealed battery and been worried that you could not?

IMHO AGM is better (even if you can't add water to it). First, the corrosion on the posts and in the battery box are almost completely eliminated. Second, they can withstand shocks better.

Perhaps I have a lack of knowledge on why a unsealed battery is your suggestion, so please educate me. Is there any other reason than its the cheapest option?

Quote:
I believe the latest issue here was reducing battery weight. Granted lithium batteries are the way to go if money was not the issue but there are other issues to understand with the use of lithium batteries from new chargers required to understanding safety issue.
True. 100 AH LiFePO4 saves your 38 lbs over a 102 AH Trojan Gel and cost about three times as much (not to mention the cost of a different charger). I doubt the weight savings is enough to worry about.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 02:24 PM   #42

Name: David
Trailer: Casita 17 SD
California
I am a huge fan of Trojan lead/acid batteries, plates are much thicker than most other batts, not uncommon to find 8-10 yr useful life. I am on yr six of a 27 series Trojan now.
CasitaMiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 02:31 PM   #43

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
True. 100 AH LiFePO4 saves your 38 lbs over a 102 AH Trojan Gel and cost about three times as much (not to mention the cost of a different charger). I doubt the weight savings is enough to worry about.
costs more like 10-12 times as much as my 6V GC2 Costco/Interstate 210 AH
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 02:32 PM   #44

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Well, having initiated this thread, I want to express my pleasure that it's been a good thread for information, and even more important has stayed on topic.
What I have on board right now are two 6v Interstate CG2 Extreme deep cycle batteries, rated at 225 Ahr. That's a pretty good capacity and a heck of a lot cheaper than AGMs, much less Lithiums. I've been having a lot of problem with my inverter not running properly and at one point I thought it might be a battery problem. I've since convinced myself it's not the batteries and will stick with what I have for now. But I still haven't solved the inverter problem, so work to do yet. Thanks to all for such a strong discussion. I hope others got as much out of it as I have.

Walt
Old 04-16-2020, 04:54 AM   #45

Name: p@
Trailer: Casita
South Carolina
Registry
Quote:
As a few mentioned ; always replace your 6v batteries at the same time with the same type. Never mix and match.
Why? Please explain.
Thanks!
jim, as i understand it there's some mystifying chemistry going on with the electrons. if one battery has more capacity than the other, the newer battery will begin to imitate the older one. something about maintaining equilibrium. imagine two identical vessels filled with liquid. one is filled full and the other half full. if these vessels are connected by a tube at the base the liquid in the full vessel will migrate to the half full one until they both contain the same amount. the full vessel will then contain less. this, i'm sure, is an over simplification but, you get the idea. and please remember i'm a retired photographer whose knowledge of things in the electricity realm is very limited.

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 05:26 AM   #46

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick crawford View Post
jim, as i understand it there's some mystifying chemistry going on with the electrons. if one battery has more capacity than the other, the newer battery will begin to imitate the older one. something about maintaining equilibrium. imagine two identical vessels filled with liquid. one is filled full and the other half full. if these vessels are connected by a tube at the base the liquid in the full vessel will migrate to the half full one until they both contain the same amount. the full vessel will then contain less. this, i'm sure, is an over simplification but, you get the idea. and please remember i'm a retired photographer whose knowledge of things in the electricity realm is very limited.

p@
Pat,

As I understand it, what you have said would be true for batteries in parallel.
But 6V batteries are used in series, to make 12V. If one goes bad, you just get less than 12V from the pair, but no damage is done to the "good" one.
So the question still stands - why replace 6V ones in pairs?

Jim
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 05:29 AM   #47

Name: Marduk
Trailer: Shopping
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
I've never measured a group 24 battery, but they must be close to the GC2 size if Escape used them to hold the Interstate GC2 6V batteries they install.

I looked up the dimensions of both batteries, and a Group 24 battery is 10.25" X 6.8125" X 8.875 (LWH). A GC2 Battery is 10.2" X 7.1" X 10.8" (LWH) in two of the examples I found. I guess other than height, the 6 Volt battery might fit a Group 24 box, assuming that the case leaves some wiggle room.

As to why you want the 2 6V batteries to be in the same condition, the charging current is determined by the "resistance" of each battery added together. If the batteries were exactly the same, each would drop the same voltage (1/2 the applied voltage). If they are not the same, one will drop less voltage & the other more. If the differences too much, you may find the battery with the lower voltage drop not charging as much as the higher voltage battery. In the worst case, the higher voltage battery may gas off before charging is complete.

Lead acid batteries are pretty tolerant, so in general this is not going to be a problem, but it makes sense to keep the batteries as close as possible.
Eeevrrrrrer
Marduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 06:29 AM   #48

Name: Steve
Trailer: Sunrader
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
I have a twin 6 volt battery system and think I need to replace at least one.
Since usually you can't walk in to the nearest Walmart or auto store and find 6 volters, I'd appreciate any tips on good brands and sources with good prices.

Walt
Hi Walt,

Canít just buy one as it is recommended that replace both at same time. Costco should have them or Batteries Plus.

Cheers,

Steve
Zaftig52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 08:30 AM   #49

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaftig52 View Post
Hi Walt,
Canít just buy one as it is recommended that replace both at same time. Costco should have them or Batteries Plus.
Cheers,
Steve
Hi Steve and welcome to the forum. Seems you haven't read the whole thread. That issue has been discussed and at the moment is accepted (and really correct) for parallel arrays, but not for series arrays. I and at least some others feel it doesn't apply for series arrays.

Walt