Space behind frig - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2017, 06:26 PM   #1

Name: ruth
Trailer: 1986 13' scamp
Pennsylvania
Space behind frig

I will only have about an inch clearance behind frig and wall of scamp
Will this do?? How much should I have ?
kayleigh0302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 06:32 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayleigh0302 View Post
I will only have about an inch clearance behind frig and wall of scamp
Will this do?? How much should I have ?
Please refer to the installation manual for your model.

I have the Dometic RM2410.. this is my manual, YMMV...
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...-Rm4EdEdn0SnEw
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 06:52 PM   #3

Pennsylvania
It's just elec dorm frig
Old 05-05-2017, 06:56 PM   #4

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayleigh0302 View Post
It's just elec dorm frig
I'm sure it has a manual. And I am almost as sure the manual gives the required clearances. If you want someone to find the answer for you they will require the make and model of the fridge.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:12 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
If you haven't installed it yet, plug it in, see if it produces any heat out the back. Put something close to it, like a cardboard box to simulate the trailer wall and the spacing, see if box gets hot. I installed a dorm fridge in our UHaul, but it has more clearance behind it. I also left some space on the front top and sides, did not trim around the cabinet face opening to allow some ventilation. I don't think there will be any problem, but can you let it stick out the front a inch or so for more rear clearance. The dorm fridge has worked out good for us, better than the original icebox, but of course we need shore power to use it.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 05:24 AM   #6

Name: Beth
Trailer: Parkliner
Maryland
I took our Parkliner out by myself last weekend and it was very hot, 80s during the day. AC could not keep up during the day so I was very aware of vents and heat sources and trying to manage the air. A lot of heat was coming out the vent in the trailer wall right behind the fridge. I was surprised at how warm it was. I would think you would want to vent that heat.
Doggonehappy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:17 AM   #7

Pennsylvania
Gordon maryandbob doggone thanks for all the help and info. I will set it up
Inside first great idea and check manual. Thanks everybody😍
Old 05-07-2017, 10:04 AM   #8

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggonehappy1 View Post
I took our Parkliner out by myself last weekend and it was very hot, 80s during the day. AC could not keep up during the day so I was very aware of vents and heat sources and trying to manage the air. A lot of heat was coming out the vent in the trailer wall right behind the fridge. I was surprised at how warm it was. I would think you would want to vent that heat.
See post #3, OP has a dorm fridge, not the same as in your Parkliner
Old 05-07-2017, 10:18 AM   #9

Name: Beth
Trailer: Parkliner
Maryland
I did see that it is a dorm fridge. Any fridge is going to produce heat. My point is that it might need to be vented as it will warm up the inside of the camper. I am not replying directly to the question of gap space in the back.
Doggonehappy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 12:42 PM   #10

New York
My point is that the heat output of a dorm fridge is way less than from a RV fridge. Completely different systems. The manual with the dorm fridge that I installed specifies 4" clearance at top, sides, and rear. Beth, were you running yours on propane or electric. I also notice heat from the outside vent on our Casita even with it on electric mode. No noticeable heat from the dorm fridge in the Uhaul.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:05 AM   #11

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggonehappy1 View Post
I did see that it is a dorm fridge. Any fridge is going to produce heat. My point is that it might need to be vented as it will warm up the inside of the camper. I am not replying directly to the question of gap space in the back.
Warming up the inside of the camper is not the main thing I would worry about.. and in cooler weather might even be an advantage. The problem with insufficient clearances (with a dorm fridge) is that the fridge might not cool sufficiently, making it ineffective and the installation a failure.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:56 PM   #12

Pennsylvania
Post 5"clearance???

So it seems a dorm frig isn't meant to be enclosed and needs 5" cleans e on all sides? Ugh!! pic of manual is shown. I don't think this is a special frig so I guess they all have same req. I would be installing a vent on scamp for circulation to outside and thinking of using small batt operated fan to help also. What have others with a dorm frig experienced?????
Old 05-16-2017, 05:43 PM   #13

New York
Stuck the fridge under the counter top in place of the ice box in our Uhaul. 3" clearance at rear, about that on one side, much more on the other side, and 4" on top. I left an inch on sides open at the cabinet face and 2" at the top on the cabinet face. Ran it steady for 3 months, 2 years of snowbirding. Worked great, no noticeable heat, no outside vent or fan, no problems with fridge. Did you run the fridge as suggested to check heat output at the rear. Right or not, if it was mine I would install it, let it stick out a little to gain extra clearance, and not trim around it to seal it to the cabinet face so you get some air flow there.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:02 PM   #14

Pennsylvania
Your right maryandbob, I am just going to put it in. I am currently monitoring the temp I have it set up inside so far it's increased about 5 degrees. Thanks for all your help it's appreciated