Space Heaters - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2018, 06:16 AM   #1

Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
Space Heaters

No luck with searches , so hoping a thread will yield some results.

Can anyone help with a good reliable electric cube type heater for our Casita.

We have tried several makes and models over the years. Extremely unreliable!

Most problems seem to be with the thermostats in general. Or overheating on the 1500w setting. Shutting off and never coming back on, without intervention.
10 degree temp swings, blah, blah.

Willing to pay what is necessary for quality. But are there any truly quality smalish cube units out there?

Thanks
Kip
Kip in Ga. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:34 AM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Pelonis. Works well for me and gets good reviews.

https://pelonis.com/
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 07:48 AM   #3

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
I have been using this, with an inexpensive Holmes Heater for three years now. The remote thermostat maintains temperature MUCH better than the thermostat mounted on the heater itself. Just turn the heater on, set the heater's thermostat on high, and plug in to this remote thermostat. Maintains the temp within a couple of degrees, is programmable, and seldom confuses itself. Highly recommended for anyone using a space heater to maintain comfort in their trailer.

https://www.amazon.com/Lux-Heating-C...t+space+heater
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 04:57 PM   #4

Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
Haven't tried a Pelonis yet. Looks like Walmart carries them.

That separate Remote thermostat looks interesting. They should be fairly reliable as they only have to track settings and temp. And being digital should help longevity and performance .

Lyle are your heater and Lux Thermostat close together? How is it set up?

THX,
k
Kip in Ga. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:09 PM   #5

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
This little ceramic heater with two-heat settings and some nice safety features is very inexpensive from Walmart ($15.00) and works great for us:
https://www.ruralking.com/duraflame-...SABEgKmmPD_BwE
We set it on the metal stove top cover in the galley of our 21, directed toward the bed, set the thermostat, and we're good to go for the night. The small size is easy to stow when not needed.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:45 PM   #6

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
I hard wired and permanently installed this wall unit as I was tired of bringing the old heater in and out. Wall mounting prevents most likely accidents or fires associated with space heaters.

I am very happy with it so far and used it all last winter without issue. It works well with my 13' FGRV. YMMV. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180924-203208_Amazon%20Shopping.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	124933Click image for larger version

Name:	20180901_174443.jpeg
Views:	16
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	124934
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:01 PM   #7

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
In my 13 foot Scamp I plug the thermostat in at the end of the kitchen counter. I place the heater on the floor, right in front of the kitchen cabinet, near to the bump up to the "dance floor" under the bed. Placing the heater in this corner, slightly away from the cabinets works well to keep it pretty much out of the way, plus the toe kick area assures that there is plenty of air flow behind the heater. This location keeps the cord from running across a walk-way. When the heater is not in use, I just set it up under the bed out of the way.

I rarely have to run the heater above the low power setting to keep the trailer pretty toasty, even in single digit temps. I add reflectix insulation to the windows and ceiling vents - makes a tremendous improvement in comfort. Plus add either throw rugs or, better yet, the interlocking, cut to fit, foam floor tiles that are available at any home improvement store. These are easily removed again when the weather warms up.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 12:18 AM   #8

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I do suggest you actually go to a store and plug the heater in and see how much noise it makes. Sure you want it to be reliable but you also want to get a good nights sleep. Some of the small ceramic disc, cube heaters are LOUD. It varies a lot depending on the quality of the fan they put into the unit. I would rather replace 3 inexpensive but quieter heaters versus buying one reliable but NOISY heater.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote